Is anybody this stupid?? Really?

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
To get the full story read the Herald story with the UND president’s comments.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now, I don't give the first shit about UND, but stuff like this pisses me off.
Money will change hands. She wouldn't have trademarked it if not for that purpose. The "big deal" is that (at least according to the article), the coach chooses which jerseys they wear. So that dad chooses for the daughter to profit. No issue there?
I suppose that Hunter Biden got his Ukrainian energy board position on his own merit as well.
To profit you actually have to be paid something. So far there is no indication she has. She could have trademarked it for numerous reasons and none of them necessarily have to run afowl

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did I read that right? Coach Barry makes $450,000 a year coaching?
1670036258893.png

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did I read that right? Coach Barry makes $450,000 a year coaching?
1670036258893.png
Berry will make a base salary of $450,204 beginning next season and will receive 3 percent raises each year for the remainder of his contract. He also has numerous incentives in his contract — winning the Penrose Cup (8 percent of base salary), hosting playoff games (2 percent), winning NCAA tournament games and team academic benchmarks (6 percent) to name a few — that could push the value higher.

This does not say what the bonus is for a National Championship.

His salary is second at UND behind the Dean of the School of Medicine.

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep. Got lit up tonight 7-2. Berry won a championship with Hak's team in 2016...not much else. Just saying

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep. Got lit up tonight 7-2. Berry won a championship with Hak's team in 2016...just saying
Why didn't you mention that UND won the Penrose Cup (NCHC Conference Champs) the last 3 years? They were not Hak's teams.

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please look into the recruiting process....and the time table.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Berry will make a base salary of $450,204 beginning next season and will receive 3 percent raises each year for the remainder of his contract. He also has numerous incentives in his contract — winning the Penrose Cup (8 percent of base salary), hosting playoff games (2 percent), winning NCAA tournament games and team academic benchmarks (6 percent) to name a few — that could push the value higher.

This does not say what the bonus is for a National Championship.

His salary is second at UND behind the Dean of the School of Medicine.
Totally mind blown that college coaches are making this kinda money. It also says in the articles they are paid by tax payers.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Totally mind blown that college coaches are making this kinda money. It also says in the articles they are paid by tax payers.
Check out these 9 head football coaches salaries:
CFB coach salaries
  • Nick Saban salary: $11.7 million (Alabama) ...
  • Kirby Smart salary: $11.25 million (Georgia)
  • Dabo Swinney salary: $10.5 million (Clemson)
  • Lincoln Riley salary (estimated): $10-plus million (USC)
  • Brian Kelly salary: $9.5 million (LSU)
  • Mel Tucker salary: $9.5 million (Michigan State)
  • Ryan Day salary: $9.5 million (Ohio State)

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please show links for recruiting/time table.
Links...Really? The kids are now recruited from their freshman year in high school...or earlier, then do two years of juniors....then come to to college. That is 5-7 years. When did Hak leave? Please look back to what I said earlier.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Links...Really? The kids are now recruited from their freshman year in high school...or earlier, then do two years of juniors....then come to to college. That is 5-7 years. When did Hak leave? Please look back to what I said earlier.
Hak left in the spring/summer on 2015 and Brad Berry took over as head coach. This is Berry's 8th year.
Division 1 college ice hockey coaches have a maximum scholarship limit of 18 full-ride equivalents per team.
A college coach cannot offer a verbal commitment or scholarship offer before September 1st of the athlete's junior year of high school, so any offers that Hak made would have to have been juniors in HS during the 2014/2015 school year. (He was gone before September 1, 2015.) No way would he give scholarships to HS players that would be 4 years from college play according to you (two more years of HS + 2 years of Junior hockey.
I'm sure after a year or two of Berry's head coaching the team was 100% his and his assistant coaches team.
ps: Hak was UND head coach from 2004-2015 and did not win a National Championship, so maybe the head coach can make a difference.

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did not speak about commitments or scholarships. If you lived in GF you would know what I mean. Ugh...not trying to argue but I'm wasting oxygen. Done.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did not speak about commitments or scholarships. If you lived in GF you would know what I mean. Ugh...not trying to argue but I'm wasting oxygen. Done.
But you did say "Please look into the recruiting process....and the time table."
Not sure what the "recruiting process" would be if not commitments and scholarships.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've spent time with both Hakstol and Barry. Tough to find similarities between the two beyond both being very intelligent. Barry is very much a father figure with a warm presence and Dave is a very fun guy but also has has a presence when he is in a room. Dave is a natural leader and motivator, the kind that guys want to run through a brick wall for. I don't see Brad having that same effect on his players and I would bet money this is the issue during Brad's time as head coach, he simply does not develop and motivate players to the level we are used to, whereas Dave could take a group of nothings and develop them into talented players that played hard as a team.

It's one thing to recruit good freshman talent, but you still have to develop them into NHL/AHA level players, this is the foundation of UND's recruiting. Dave took average college recruits like Caggiula and Stecher and turned them in NHL players, I don't know right now if Brad has that ability. At some point the high-end recruits will go elsewhere. So the question becomes how long you can wait?

This program has a lot of donating alumni with deep pockets who will not tolerate the program declining. They all know Brad and will have an opinion as to whether he was the right guy or if Dane Jackson or Eades should have been given the reigns. Both are more like Hakstol.

Could be an interesting off season. I think if the recruits go elsewhere, the writing is on the wall and things will move quickly.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79