Knee surgery coming up!

Mac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question for those who have torn a meniscus?
I have torn the inner meniscus and have to go in have it scoped. Now the Surgen told me it's a pretty significant tear, and so he claims he won't know till he gets the scope in to determine if they could save it.
So with that being said the difference between the two surgerys is very different and recovery time sounds long and painful if they try to save it.
I guess my question is how long did you sit on the side lines after scope surgery? And has anyone had one that they saved? What can I and should I expect after this is all done?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went through two knee surgeries on my right knee. The first was to repair a small tear. Turned out much worse. Three months later it was better. Two years later it was replaced. Three months of pain before it calmed down. Not fun but we'll worth it. Takes a while to get the muscles back in shape.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never had any meniscus issues, but I did have my patellar tendon break completely about 4 years ago. One thing that I would recommend is ultrasound therapy. My chiropractor has the machine to do it and when it comes to recovering from my knee surgery that was, in my opinion, the best thing I ever did. The first time I went in for it was amazing.. when I walked out of my chiropractors office I couldn't believe that there was ZERO pain and no favoring that leg. I wish that I had gone in to begin that therapy the day I had my cast off. I didn't learn about it until a couple days before I left for an elk hunt in montana. I have no doubt in my mind that elk hunt would have been considerably better had I underwent a month that or two of ultrasound therapy prior to leaving rather than just 1 session....

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
had meniscus removed in both my knees. first one I tore on first day of football practice my senior year. It was torn end to end right down the center. The inner half was then torn in two in the middle. The removed the inner half and polished up what was left of the outer. I started football practice two weeks later. This was in 1983 when scope surgery was just getting going good. Have never had any issues whatsoever with it since. The other knee was done in around 2000. Identical tears as the other knee. Had scope surgery and actually went back to working construction the very next day. Felt like a million bucks and have never had any issues with it either. My feeling is get out and do what you can as soon as you can as long as there wasn't any tendons messed with. The sooner you get the swelling out the better you will feel. When I asked my doctor if I could go back to work that quick he told me if I felt like it do it, he took out what there was that could cause any further damage.

KJND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had one scoped last spring for torn meniscus... best thing I could have done and should have done it 10 years sooner. I didn't realize how much i was favoring my knee and was having ankle, foot and hip problems. Since surgery I have had zero troubles with anything on my lower body and my knee feels great. I did have an intense vibration sensation when i would put pressure on that knee for the first month or two post surgery but it has since subsided.

eklindworth

Founding Member
Founding Member
Disclaimers - I'm a PT and 45 yo
Had a meniscus tear and scope 3 years ago. Ugly tear, just cleaned out. Went well and was back at work in <10 days without crutches. I did the work though (ice, crutches, and exercise). Running on TM in about 6 months.
Repairs are a whole other beast. In my PT experience, they don't do great mainly because the pt can't/doesn't adhere to the rehab protocol.

So, hope that helps. Main advice -- do the work, don't rush, listen to your PT (not your couzin's uncle's best friend's father-in-law)

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had surgery on a partially torn meniscus back in October 2014. It was a pretty significant tear, and they ended up removing 50% of the meniscus. I absolutely hate hospitals, so as soon as I got back to Same Day surgery I ate my crackers, drank my water, and took a piss. That was all I had to do before I could leave, so they couldn't stop me from walking out the door. I used a little cane for the first two or three days mainly because the joint was sore. Never really had any pain and didn't use any of the meds prescribed.

My mom had an ND elk tag that year, and I was out hunting in the badlands with her and dad within two weeks of my surgery. By the time I'm 50 (only 34 now) I'll be a prime candidate for a knee replacement, but it will be worth it. My dad just had two partial knee replacements and it's the best thing he's ever done.

A big part of the recovery is determined by the surgeon performing the operation. Finding a good surgeon will likely result in less trauma inside the knee, less scaring, and ideally a faster recovery time. Unfortunately, everyone is different and your experience may differ from others.

Where are you having the surgery done? If you're in the western part of the state, I would urge you to make the trip(s) to Bismarck and see Matthew Carpenter at Sanford. He is one of the best Orthos in the state and comes highly recommended from his peers and other surgeons in the area.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're correct, recovery times are very different. I chose to have my repaired (medial meniscus; bucket handle tear) and was laid up for a good six weeks. But, being 17 and baseball starting, I didn't listen too well and started playing as soon as I could walk without crutches. The problem there being, I was the catcher. So things didn't stay repaired. I know have problems with it on a consistent basis. Flexed to much and that bucket handle tear will slide over and lock my knee out.

So, if you choose that route, do your exercises and ice as much as possible. You will be forever thankful that you chose to have it repaired instead of removed. If removed, there isn't as much cushion for the tibial and femoral surfaces and arthritic changes will occur over time. That leads to a total knee replacement. I can't think of a worse time to have knee surgery though. Even if you wait until after hunting season, you have icy walkways to deal with. Good luck!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't want to make light of anyone having to endure surgery...but for some reason reading this thread, I thought about the old ESPN commercials with Art Donovan...one of the ESPN guys asks him, "Hey Art, you ever tear your anterior cruciate ligament when you played?"...Art responds "cruciates...we didn't have cruciates when I played!" He was old school for sure...think he was on Johnny Carson a couple times...hilarious! Anyway...Mac good luck with the procedure.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't want to make light of anyone having to endure surgery...but for some reason reading this thread, I thought about the old ESPN commercials with Art Donovan...one of the ESPN guys asks him, "Hey Art, you ever tear your anterior cruciate ligament when you played?"...Art responds "cruciates...we didn't have cruciates when I played!" He was old school for sure...think he was on Johnny Carson a couple times...hilarious! Anyway...Mac good luck with the procedure.

He did a lot of appearances on David Letterman as well. Very fun guy to watch and listen to.

This was a long time ago, like back before Letterman ruined his show by having to drag politics into everything.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not about playing sports. The meniscus is the only thing preventing bone on bone contact which WILL lead arthritis.

Your not even a real a dr. your just a chiro :;: and I stayed at a holiday inn last night or maybe a wyndam either way, personally I would go for scope and removal vs repair just because its almost November.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've had 29 knee operations, 26 on the right and 3 on the left. My opinion is to find the best surgeon you can, start rehab either same or next day and do all the pt you can stand and a little more. Use the pain pills in the begining, lots of ice to keep swelling down and keep it elevated when you're not exercising for the first week.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not about playing sports. The meniscus is the only thing preventing bone on bone contact which WILL lead arthritis.
if they leave what's intact he should be fine. I had my first removal in 1983 and have abused my body to no end since and my knee is no different than when it was done. everybody is different of course but if some is left I don't think there should be many if any issues.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88