Lake Access Post Storm

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going exploring tomorrow but have a bad feeling she's gunna be locked up most places. Post what you're seeing here in this thread.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea, afraid its not gonna be pretty out there.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
I bought my first ice castle and have been eagerly waiting for ice since august. Ice fishing is my favorite. Now Im worried I cant use it at all. Maybe woodlands will plow a road which i might go use but Im not accustomed to fishing near crowds.

ndrivrrat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was at Audubon today, 12/17. Somebody plowed out the access to the Stumps. Couldn't get to the Nelson bay access on the road that runs along the south side as it was plugged between the Stumps and Nelson. Went back around to Coleharbor and went east from there. Had to break drifts to get to Nelson but the access had a drift about 4 ft high across it. Went back to the Stumps area and went out from there into about 18' of water. Getting around wasn't difficult but water was coming up out of the holes after we drilled them. Didn't seem like that much snow on the ice but must be heavy as hell. Fishing was slow, a few small perch is all.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my first ice castle and have been eagerly waiting for ice since august. Ice fishing is my favorite. Now Im worried I cant use it at all. Maybe woodlands will plow a road which i might go use but Im not accustomed to fishing near crowds.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. Bought my wheel house in august as well and hoped to spent quite a few weekend on the lake but an now thinking a few trips out of woodland might be about all the use the wheel house sees this winter

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gonna be a whole lotta folks w/the nickname “SLUSH-POCKET” by April.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
lake of the woods is ice castle friendly, sounds like woodlands is plowing minimal roads since the big snow dump and waiting for colder weather. I think last year they would plow you a spot for a fee.

Hoffer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was at Audubon today, 12/17. Somebody plowed out the access to the Stumps. Couldn't get to the Nelson bay access on the road that runs along the south side as it was plugged between the Stumps and Nelson. Went back around to Coleharbor and went east from there. Had to break drifts to get to Nelson but the access had a drift about 4 ft high across it. Went back to the Stumps area and went out from there into about 18' of water. Getting around wasn't difficult but water was coming up out of the holes after we drilled them. Didn't seem like that much snow on the ice but must be heavy as hell. Fishing was slow, a few small perch is all.
Am I crazy for hauling a wheelhouse up there tomorrow? Was going to try the cabin ramp.

ndrivrrat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Am I crazy for hauling a wheelhouse up there tomorrow? Was going to try the cabin ramp.
Heard the cabin ramp was usable, didn't get over to that end of the lake. Not sure of ice thickness or driveability over on that portion of the lake.

Hoffer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard the cabin ramp was usable, didn't get over to that end of the lake. Not sure of ice thickness or driveability over on that portion of the lake.
Cool. I’ll give it a try and report back here tomorrow. I did stop by there last week before the storm and confirmed 15” of ice. So I’m not worried about ice, at least in the area I checked.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
It sounds like audubon is wheel house friendly in certain areas. I dont know all the local names though. I was at Velva before the storm, it was really shallow. I know Nelson Bay on the south side and I know Totten by the highway on north side. I was thinking checking out Totten trail for the ice castle. Whats cabin ramp? I think stumps is the one between nelson and the highway on south end.

Last edited:

ndrivrrat

Founding Member
Founding Member
It sounds like audubon is wheel house friendly in certain areas. I dont know all the local names though. I was at Velva before the storm, it was really shallow. I know Nelson Bay on the south side and I know Totten by the highway on north side. I was thinking checking out Totten trail for the ice castle. Wheres the Stumps?
The Stumps are on the south side of the lake west of Nelson about a half mile. Access is where the cable gaurd rails are on both sides of the road.

Hoffer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took the ice castle out to Audubon today. Cabin site has been plowed all the way to the boat ramp. Someone has also plowed a path on the ice for a ways out. Even going off the path, travel is no problem.

Fishing, on the other hand, is terrible. One Pike all day. Hoping for a morning bite.

Hoffer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took the family and the ice castle out to Audubon (cabin ramp again) for Xmas eve festivities on the ice. Quite a bit tougher getting around compared to last weekend. We spent the first 90 minutes getting unstuck. Wife and kids were thrilled to say the least.

We ended up taking off before sunrise this morning to beat the storm. Drifts were even worse this morning and I assume are pretty bad this evening. Not a great year to purchase my first wheelhouse, that’s for sure.

Merry Christmas!

ndrivrrat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took the family and the ice castle out to Audubon (cabin ramp again) for Xmas eve festivities on the ice. Quite a bit tougher getting around compared to last weekend. We spent the first 90 minutes getting unstuck. Wife and kids were thrilled to say the least.

We ended up taking off before sunrise this morning to beat the storm. Drifts were even worse this morning and I assume are pretty bad this evening. Not a great year to purchase my first wheelhouse, that’s for sure.

Merry Christmas!
Thanks for the update Hoffer. Was wondering what the access and drivability was up there after this last week. Hoping to spend all next weekend up there but would like to be on the south side which is probably going to be worse. if any one was up there and wouldn't mind posting what they are seeing it would be appreciated.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
I saw on IFND facebook that totten trail is open but todays wind could change things. Not sure which ramp is Cabin. I have a friend whos never been out before coming in. I was planning on taking the ice castle to totten trail on thursday. Maybe warmer weather will compress the snow and refreeze. I was thinking taking the Otter hub to fish in if the snow is too deep and leave the trailer at the access to sleep in. If thats allowed. It probabaly is not on the refuge side

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14