Lake bottom

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the lakes i fished this winter and plan to fish this summer had never ending spikes on the bottom across the main lake basin. Each one was about two to three inches high and about six inches apart all set into a muddy bottom. To me they looked like old cattails but the only thing about that is they would have to be at least 23 years old at this point. Just wondering if that is what they are or if anyone knows what else would make them. They look like they might be a bitch to drag crankbaits through.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like burned or cut cattails to me. Not surprised if they are 23 years old. Vegetation remains relatively unchanged at the bottom of devil's lake too in places where it hasn't been covered with sediment

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah it totally looks like cattails to me but this lake has never had them since I hunted that area meaning they are pre 93 at the vary least. She's fairly shallow so I would have thought they would have rotted away but must be like you said with the water inhibiting decay.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have fished a couple sloughs around that 12 to 15 year old age and caught root balls from cattails. It seams weird that the plants that grow in the summer are usually decayed by the next spring.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the area was fairly deep, the oxygen levels can get low enough that it can take quite a while for material to decay.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It might be fun to check it out on Google Earth and go back in history and see if cattails show up, It should get you earlier than 1993 .

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
It might be fun to check it out on Google Earth and go back in history and see if cattails show up, It should get you earlier than 1993 .
It would be very fun but unfortunately I don't think I can. The two devices I use to access the net are both mobile and don't seem to have access to the historical imigery on either earth or maps.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be very fun but unfortunately I don't think I can. The two devices I use to access the net are both mobile and don't seem to have access to the historical imigery on either earth or maps.
Just let me know what lake it is and I can look it up for you;)

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I know what lake you are speaking of dean. if it is one I fished this winter I know exactly what you are talking about. I had my camera down and cattails are what they appeared to be to me as well. didn't think much of it as I fished 10-12 ft most spots. a source tells me there is another lake just east of that one a hop-skip-and a jump well across the hwy that a few guys have hammered them in the summer but they get lockjaw in the winter. I've got an old 15ft lund i'm going to try to dump in it this summer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 40