Lake Winnipeg Update 2017

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fished a lot of good lakes with high forage and tulibee populations that don't have the growth rates of Devils Lake.

- - - Updated - - -

the right kind of food is probably the biggest factor. there are no "oily/fatty" bait in devils. genetics too maybe?

- - - Updated - - -

I have no clue, those were the first two things that popped into my head

Slot limits ;:;bowdown

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fished a lot of good lakes with high forage and tulibee populations that don't have the growth rates of Devils Lake.

- - - Updated - - -

Slot limits ;:;bowdown

I must be a terrible fisherman , I've been catching mostly 12-16 inchers now for 11 years.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a very interesting fishery. Hope they get it figured out. I like another close fishery with big fish potential!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There are a TON of 6# and up fish taken out of Sak every summer. Until this changes you won't see a Winnie style of trophy fishing. There is so much food(small perch , ciscos, smelt) in Sak right now we could see some big fish coming out of the lake in the years to come. Just throw the big ones back!!!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The other thing that can happen is that there are a bunch of big fish in a system, but very few catch them. Their patterns can be drastically different than the "eater" sized fish or they are simply very well fed. There is a lake by my dad's lake place in MN that consistently yields big test net numbers and size(30+inch fish). The thing is pretty deep and full of ciscoes so I imagine the pigs swim around and chase suspended bait. I caught one 23 incher on a heavy wind blown shoreline and lost what I felt to be a giant on a jig rap after 3 trips fishing there. I know the big bastards are there, but you would never guess if it wasn't for the test net data.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
The other thing that can happen is that there are a bunch of big fish in a system, but very few catch them. Their patterns can be drastically different than the "eater" sized fish or they are simply very well fed. There is a lake by my dad's lake place in MN that consistently yields big test net numbers and size(30+inch fish). The thing is pretty deep and full of ciscoes so I imagine the pigs swim around and chase suspended bait. I caught one 23 incher on a heavy wind blown shoreline and lost what I felt to be a giant on a jig rap after 3 trips fishing there. I know the big bastards are there, but you would never guess if it wasn't for the test net data.

Similar with my parents Lake. We catch out biggest fish pulling lead core over 60 plus feet anywhere from 20 to 40 ft down.

Vollmer had a comment earlier about the large cisco pop of winnipeg and that might be keeping the big girls deeper.

Do they do test nets of winnipeg? Never seen any data on that before.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Similar with my parents Lake. We catch out biggest fish pulling lead core over 60 plus feet anywhere from 20 to 40 ft down.

Vollmer had a comment earlier about the large cisco pop of winnipeg and that might be keeping the big girls deeper.

Do they do test nets of winnipeg? Never seen any data on that before.

Closest thing to test net data you'll find out there is commercial guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Sak is smelt driven, no?

Most definitely, bough the Cisco numbers are high, and I'm sure the larger fish work them pretty hard. Van Hook is Cisco heavy, and it
seems more big fish are caught in the arm than the rest of the lake. I have no data to back that up, and its definitely fished hard compared to the rest of the lake, but it produces more consistent than most the lake does.

Mizzou21

Ended trip early yesterday to try and beat this weather system back to Bismarck scheduled for Sunday. This was the toughest trip I have had in my last 3 years of fishing up there, but we did manage a couple good ones and still had a lot of fun. Was also able to meet K9Guy for the first time at the Canalta over breakfast on Thursday morning, so that was cool! Also put on at Prudens Creek for the first time ever, so I now know where that access is located. Always was on in the Chalet, Warner, Mattlock areas in the past. As a few mentioned before, we fished mainly deeper water this time as most of the reports, and tips from guide friends suggested this was the most productive pattern over the last week. We fished from 19-25 feet. We fished with a couple buddies from Williston as well, so our bigger fish numbers include theirs as well.
Thursday- approx. 45 fish for us, 20 for the other- nothing over 18 inches all day. 25 feet was best
Friday- approx. 25 fish for us with a 26.5, 27.5, and 30.5, approx. 18 fish for other group with a 24.5, and 27. Best depth was 21 feet
Saturday- Fished 21 feet again where better fish came day before. We fished til 10:30 am and headed home. 8 fish for us, nothing big- 5 fish for other group with a 27.5.

All big fish came on DH custom baits with the gizzard shad catching the most and biggest fish of the trip. Seemed like all of our big fish were marks off the bottom, and the most aggressive "eater" fish were marks that were suspended 5-10 feet off the bottom. I have noticed some posts by Vollmer and others talking about booking a big group for next year, and I would love that. Would like to meet more of the guys on here in person and not just know you by your "handle" on NDA. Can also cover more water and locate fish a lot quicker with a team effort on that ice. Thanks and good luck to all who are lucky enough to have trips booked yet this year!!

Walleye Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our group just got back yesterday afternoon. Fishing wasn't what it has been in the past, but it was what you could expect for the weather that was going on up there. All the eater fish you want to catch and the sporadic big fish. Our group of 8 ended up 3 28", 2 29.5", 3 27", 3 26", 1 25", 1 24", and 1 22" fish. We fished anywhere from 7-10 miles out from Warner and Ralph Road. Found most of our fish in anywhere from 20-25 feet. Jackalls and pelican spoons tipped with a full minnow caught most of the fish. This was the biggest fish of the trip at 29.5" and 11 pounds. Winnipeg.jpg

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My group was up March 4-7 and we are going up again March 25-28th. If any of you are going to be up there please let me know.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
We just got back... our group of 6 guys only got 3 over 20"... was rough we had 300+ fish caught in the group... if you want 14-16" fish this is the place to be... reports from other friends had 7 or 8 in the 30" range from their groups... 26 was our biggest

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting ready to head up Thursday after work. Bought a backup favorite lure, but will still be using the original to start with as it just sounds a little different from the others. That, and the scratches on it actually give it a little more flash. Can't wait to get up there and put these small fish rumors to rest, haha!

IMG_9163.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I follow quite a few of the guides on my instagram. they're even making some waves with some of their posts. Not a happy bunch of people.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I follow quite a few of the guides on my instagram. they're even making some waves with some of their posts. Not a happy bunch of people.

Yeah and I don't really blame them. A lot of them have been saying this was going to happen for years. I think they'll get some attention this time.

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be up there the 23-26. PM if you want to exchange phone numbers and info while fishing up there.

I'll send you a PM. What are you guys taking to travel on the ice with? I'm sticking it out with my tracked ranger again. I thought about putting the tires back on but I like the tracks for the cracks and pressure ridges.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ATVs with wheels for us. My dad is bringing his aluminum ramps with and just going to strap them on the wheeler in case we need them.
Watched a video of a truck going through a ridge up there recently. Be careful, always get out and check the ridges/cracks before crossing!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55