Lake Winnipeg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
our trip is planned for the 3rd week of March, I am thinking that might be to late. Damn you algore

sponsy12

Founding Member
Founding Member
our trip is planned for the 3rd week of March, I am thinking that might be to late. Damn you algore

Yeah as that's a weekend I'm going also. Weather doesn't look quite as warm up there for the next 15 days though. Shouldn't be too bad. Trying to get a quick trip put together for next weekend!

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep the reports coming (how it is to get around out on the ice, fishing, accessibility, ice conditions, etc) fellas, I hope to be going up in two weeks.

Hawgeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
For rods, I actually had two summer rods that I had broken with about 36" rod ends still good. I cut the base end just past the handle and epoxied in the 36" tip. These were both medium jigging rods that work great for ripping live targets and other rattle baits. I use my summer reels for better bearing drag use. I use other rods mentioned for spoons and recycled for the cost of some epoxy and electrical tape. They may look a little redneck but work perfectly.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure it'll be fine. Everyone was talking doom and gloom about the ice last year too. We went the second to last weekend in March. Three weeks before that everyone said it was over. We went up and the ice was great. Honestly, conditions couldn't have been much better. The ice was smooth for easy travel from melting. The ridges weren't that bad. And in many places it still took 24" of extension to get through.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was no problem getting around this weekend with a wheeled quad. This morning it was -10 up there, and the ice is plenty thick. I'll post up a report tomorrow.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard something over the weekend while up at Winnipegosis I did not know. Was having breakfast with a fella that commercial fishes 9 different lakes north of the Pas. A couple of them have a lot of angling on them. He said the did a catch with a provincial research team targeting bigger walleyes that don't fit the slot limit for anglers. Quite a few of these bigger fish were blind and had milky eyes. Supposedly the eyes were damaged by severe cold when these fish were caught and taken out for pics. Guess there is a pretty short time window when it is really cold.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56