Last weekend strategies

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huh...I'm not sure how a comment asking when deer may move on a subzero day would infer I wouldn't go. Merely if it makes sense to get out there an hour before light and potentially freeze my keister off, or if it would be better to hem my chances closer to sunup "given the conditions."

I don't propose to be an expert deer killer. I've been out on double-digits-below zero days only once, and it was in the afternoon. Thus my question.

Good luck hunting. Hopefully you can find the time.
I did a deer study last week. So the temps were no where as cold as they are here -- but the snow was on the ground - the bucks are just going into rut where i was.

The deer i studied were in winter mode. They were gathering up. They were eating all day. They werent eating early ---They started about 9am and ate all day. The snow and cold nights make a difference.

In all my years I have the same percentage shot in the middle of the day vs the AM and PM when its this cold out. The key is walking to keep warm with the right clothing so you dont sweat to much. Happiness is getting one and warming those hands on the gut job.

Josh Havelka

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been hunting all week. The deer were out quit a bit Monday and Tuesday moving around and eating. Small bucks chasing some tail. Only a couple good bucks starting to do the lip curl. Wenesday it was complete opposite only saw a couple deer. Today with all the wind we did not think they would have been out but they were all over. Tagged out at noon. Saw some of the better bucks chasing tail. Good luck to everyone hunting the rest of the weekend. 2nd what @shorthairsrus said about keeping warm. Layers on top. Long johns and brush pants. Had cotton gloves under my other gloves and a neck gator.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I appreciate the help! I'm going to be wheels up at 3 am, will bring plenty of layers, Thermos of coffee, some TP for the inevitable, and will be in the woods well before sunrise. I'll sit that first golden hour, then probably walk sneakily around to see if I can catch a doe unaware.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not a walk till they spook and shoot at them running away kinda hunter. I will be focusing on food sources at dawn and dusk...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I appreciate the help! I'm going to be wheels up at 3 am, will bring plenty of layers, Thermos of coffee, some TP for the inevitable, and will be in the woods well before sunrise. I'll sit that first golden hour, then probably walk sneakily around to see if I can catch a doe unaware.
You could also consider covering lots of ground (aka trolling in a vehicle) while they're still out/about. Unless, that is, your chosen land is surrounded by lots of posters.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
C545E676-DA35-4133-997F-903E29D2A8F3.gif

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last weekend of ND rifle season tactic is the same every year independent of weather, temp, snow, moon phase, crop rotation, el-nino, la-nina, corilois effect, spin-drift, wind, or fuel prices. Find does, you'll find bucks.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was you I would make that 3 hour trip worth it and sit somewhere with either just your bow and can shoot either or have both weapons with. I would choose to use both weapons and sit waiting for the sun to come up. Even for an hour to an hour and a half.
No real interest as I don't bow hunt but would it be legal to sit with both weapons (gun doe tag) and shoot a buck with the bow if it comes close enough? Guessing it is, just curious.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
No real interest as I don't bow hunt but would it be legal to sit with both weapons (gun doe tag) and shoot a buck with the bow if it comes close enough? Guessing it is, just curious.
"No firearms, except handguns, may be in the hunter’s possession while hunting with a deer bow license. However, handguns may not be used in any manner to assist in the harvest of a deer with an archery license."

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
"No firearms, except handguns, may be in the hunter’s possession while hunting with a deer bow license. However, handguns may not be used in any manner to assist in the harvest of a deer with an archery license."
BUT,, you can kill a gun deer license with a bow. So

Yes, but only if you are going to fill your gun license. No firearms, except handguns, may be in the hunter’s possession while hunting with a deer bow license. However, handguns may not be used in any manner to assist in the harvest of a deer with an archery license.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the early 60's the proclamation along with other rules/regulations were on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper that was trifolded. Now it's just a little overblown. MHO. I grew thinking there was a spring Duck season and you could only hunt Jackrabbits at night. :ROFLMAO:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 114
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69