Legislation I can support

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I support it as well. They wait till late spring to run these elections so they can get the max number possible of 18yo HS seniors voting. In MN I also have seen it where they move the polling places into the schools and a bunch of people wouldn't even know where to go and vote.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I oppose this bill. For me it's just another case of the legislature thinking they know better than the local elected officials as well as the local taxpayer. Having been involved in a few bond issues I can assure you that the reasons this lady used to justify her introduction of this bill never was discussed in the bonds where I was involved. School boards don't sit at meetings, thinking of new ways to spend money. Bond issues are created because of a need for space or for new programs. If a bond is voted down, that doesn't mean the need disappears. Schools, or cities and other taxing districts, then usually make an effort to change the plans in some manner that allow for filling the need while making the bond issue more palatable to the voters.

As I've stated on other issues, I don't like the legislature telling me they know what is better for my community than the people who live and work in my community.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem now days is the schools want such lavish shit. There is no restraint whatsoever. Dist. 8 has held three referendums to try and build a new school. It's a rural elementary school district with several schools scattered around in the rural area outside of Williston. After getting soundly defeated three times they announced the school was going to be built anyway with the 16 million they had hoarded away in a building maintenance fund lol. To have 16 million hoarded away in a district that size is criminal. Sure tells you they are getting far too many dollars from property taxes. The school went from 58 million the first go around to 35 million to 28 million and now all of a sudden a 16 million dollar building is enough lol. You can't make this shit up.

- - - Updated - - -

Big surprise you would support this.
I'll take that as a compliment

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The problem now days is the schools want such lavish shit. There is no restraint whatsoever. Dist. 8 has held three referendums to try and build a new school. It's a rural elementary school district with several schools scattered around in the rural area outside of Williston. After getting soundly defeated three times they announced the school was going to be built anyway with the 16 million they had hoarded away in a building maintenance fund lol. To have 16 million hoarded away in a district that size is criminal. Sure tells you they are getting far too many dollars from property taxes. The school went from 58 million the first go around to 35 million to 28 million and now all of a sudden a 16 million dollar building is enough lol. You can't make this shit up.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll take that as a compliment

You fit my argument perfectly. If the local taxpayers say no I have no problem. I don't like someone from the SE part of ND telling the taxpayers in the NW what is best for them. I prefer the legislature stay out of local issues.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You fit my argument perfectly. If the local taxpayers say no I have no problem. I don't like someone from the SE part of ND telling the taxpayers in the NW what is best for them. I prefer the legislature stay out of local issues.
local governments don't have the ability to create these types of laws so the state has to do it. Maybe they could amend the law to state if the local schools deny state funding then they can do as they see fit.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have a difference of opinion of which neither of us is going to change the mind of the other it would seem. State funding does not currently and never has paid for building bond issues Property taxes are the only means of paying for building projects. Every school at some point is going to need a building fund for repairs if nothing else. The safeguard is that bond issues for building need a 60% approval rating, not just a simple majority. Yes, sometimes schools seem to request a Cadillac and if that is denied then they eventually get down to a plan that 60% of the people think is livable. Not unlike everyone else who has the want or need to do some building or remodeling.

Another way to look at the issue is, "If you don't like how the school board is operating, you could run for that board and provide your expert opinion." Or is easier to just complain about how others are doing their job? I will never be convinced that you get better representation from someone who has no idea of your local issues better than you do.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a difference of opinion of which neither of us is going to change the mind of the other it would seem. State funding does not currently and never has paid for building bond issues Property taxes are the only means of paying for building projects. Every school at some point is going to need a building fund for repairs if nothing else. The safeguard is that bond issues for building need a 60% approval rating, not just a simple majority. Yes, sometimes schools seem to request a Cadillac and if that is denied then they eventually get down to a plan that 60% of the people think is livable. Not unlike everyone else who has the want or need to do some building or remodeling.

Another way to look at the issue is, "If you don't like how the school board is operating, you could run for that board and provide your expert opinion." Or is easier to just complain about how others are doing their job? I will never be convinced that you get better representation from someone who has no idea of your local issues better than you do.
I'm getting rather sick and tired of this "run for the board" type shit. You don't get elected if you don't fall lock step with what the others want. it's the same people time and time again that get elected to school boards, etc. Let me ask you this. Do you think a 16 million dollar balance in a building maintenance fund for a small rural school district in ND is ok?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well take a class in a space that was supposed to be a supply closet or a stairwell and then tell me how lavish they have it. Hell if we are going to have anything that the term lavish applies to I would say schools would be top on my list as places where that's not a bad thing.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
you haven't seen where my wife and I attended grade school lol.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm getting rather sick and tired of this "run for the board" type shit. You don't get elected if you don't fall lock step with what the others want. it's the same people time and time again that get elected to school boards, etc. Let me ask you this. Do you think a 16 million dollar balance in a building maintenance fund for a small rural school district in ND is ok?

Once again, I have no idea whether a $16 million building fund is appropriate for your district. I have known districts that built up their building fund for a known expense that was coming in the future. My point will always be I shouldn't be telling the taxpayers in your district what is best for them.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once again, I have no idea whether a $16 million building fund is appropriate for your district. I have known districts that built up their building fund for a known expense that was coming in the future. My point will always be I shouldn't be telling the taxpayers in your district what is best for them.
I believe there is 300 students in this district. that amounts to 53K per student of hoarded cash lol. let that sink in for a bit

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know nothing of reserve funds, etc. but I would hope most districts would keep a few million in reserve for maintenance projects. Is there a state limit to how much they can reserve?

I've been in lots of schools around the state I don't see much in the way of "lavish." Of course newer schools look nicer but what should they do install used cabinets and flooring in them?

I don't necessarily disagree with this bill, but it seems as though it would hamstring districts a bit. Districts now are able to react rather quickly when building projects are needed. If a bond fails, 2 years would be a long time to ask for another/revised one. The kids aren't going away.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Eye, I'm really not trying to start an argument with you because you continue to support my position. $53k sounds like a lot of money but I don't know what your current school is like. I don't know whether you need an upgrade or a completely new building. I don't know if your current school meets all the handicap requirements. I also don't know if your current building has been upgraded to allow students use of the computer capabilities available today. I for sure don't know if your current building is overcrowded and needs more space. Only the local people can answer those questions. And hopefully those questions are answered by attending informational meetings instead of by local gossip at the coffee shops. Yes, school boards will try to convince you to vote for a bond issue, it is your job to listen and question so you fully understand their perceived needs versus what you honestly believe is best for the children of your district.

I also don't know what your last few board elections have been like. Of the area schools with which I am familiar there is rarely a race for members. Usually it's not unusual for someone to win with write-in votes because no one wants to run. My point continues to be for local control as opposed to the state legislature telling you what is best for you.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eye, I'm really not trying to start an argument with you because you continue to support my position. $53k sounds like a lot of money but I don't know what your current school is like. I don't know whether you need an upgrade or a completely new building. I don't know if your current school meets all the handicap requirements. I also don't know if your current building has been upgraded to allow students use of the computer capabilities available today. I for sure don't know if your current building is overcrowded and needs more space. Only the local people can answer those questions. And hopefully those questions are answered by attending informational meetings instead of by local gossip at the coffee shops. Yes, school boards will try to convince you to vote for a bond issue, it is your job to listen and question so you fully understand their perceived needs versus what you honestly believe is best for the children of your district.

I also don't know what your last few board elections have been like. Of the area schools with which I am familiar there is rarely a race for members. Usually it's not unusual for someone to win with write-in votes because no one wants to run. My point continues to be for local control as opposed to the state legislature telling you what is best for you.
most of what your bringing up is supporting new construction. This was a 16 million dollar fund for existing building maintenance. If the school had deficiencies why the hell weren't they being addressed with the 16 million? They obviously didn't have issues or I would consider that breech of duty by school officials. They couldn't give teachers a 3K raise due to the cost of living here but they can slush away 16 million. are you kidding me? how can they take a building maintenance fund and use it to build a new school? this has really agitated the tax payers here and I would guess any referendum brought forward from now till eternity is DOA. Is that really how a school would want to operate?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thank you. You are now starting to talk about what the local taxpayers may do and not what someone someplace else in the state making your decisions.

You are also siting some reasons where perhaps it is time for some new blood on the board. I realize that not every one wants to serve in that capacity but someone has to and if no one is willing to step up then perhaps they get what they deserve. There are many ways to serve, if not a regular board member than keep informed and make suggestions. You might not like what the board considers, then make an alternative suggestion. Just being negative about everything solves no problems. A start is realizing what seems to be a main question "Does the school need work?" If it does is it better to remodel or build new? Someplace there has to be some ground that everyone can agree with. Remember, all decisions should be made based on what is best for the students. Good Luck.

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright Eye, you don't want to run for election because you don't think you can get elected if you don't walk in lock step with them. Fair argument. Do a little research and you will find what you can and cannot do with a building fund. Very tight requirements but also the building fund is a separate line item on the schools mil levy and can only be used for specific projects. How long did it take district 8 to collect this money? Questions you can raise with them and get a better understanding of school financing than you will get even with the learned masses on NDA. TW

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright Eye, you don't want to run for election because you don't think you can get elected if you don't walk in lock step with them. Fair argument. Do a little research and you will find what you can and cannot do with a building fund. Very tight requirements but also the building fund is a separate line item on the schools mil levy and can only be used for specific projects. How long did it take district 8 to collect this money? Questions you can raise with them and get a better understanding of school financing than you will get even with the learned masses on NDA. TW
thanks you sound like you know quite a bit on this subject. just what can they use that money for? How does a school of three hundred students build a treasure trove of 16 million when two of the schools were using temporary classrooms. They could have built permanent structures to replace those class rooms for two or three million but never did. None of the districts schools have a gymnasium. They could have built a gymnasium for each of the schools with less than half of this money. It just flat out appears they intended to keep this money hidden from the taxpayers in hopes of funding a new school. The new school they are building is about two miles out of Williston. Many have argued for years that the district should be closed and all students go to Williston. The two arguments against were having to bus to town and Williston was short on space. Well now Williston has a new high school so they have room galore. And now Dist. 8 is going to bus everybody to town basically. So it always seems like the tax payers are being scammed. They do a piss poor job of selling their issues to the public. So now what do they do for a maintenance fund since they will extinguish these funds? How long will it take to replenish it? This whole deal sounds like a scam to me and to 80% of the tax payers here. It just makes me shake my head in total disbelief.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Don;t you guys have a Menards?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30