Limit lakes for guides?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess I don't understand that line of thinking. How many regular Joes fish every day, bringing 3-8 extra people with who all want limits? Of course there's the local old guys that fish every day too, but...

That said, there are a lot of fishing opportunities in ND right now. Certainly ok with protecting what we have though.
Protect what we have? Let’s just outlaw all fishing then…or only a select few who can be chosen can be selected to fish only certain areas. Get where I am going with this? Who says who and where etc that can be fished? Supply and demand. No fish equals less pressure on a system and it will rebound. It may take time but it will come back.
Edit: I am not a guide, don’t know any guides. Basically ave no skin in the game at all regarding guides.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You still have to be qualified to do the work you choose. Pretty certain you dont want meth head bob doing your heart surgery just because he wants to be a doctor
Pretty sure there is a meth head or 2 Dr. out there. Just cause you are qualified in something doesn’t make you good at it or a non drug addict.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s not even so much the fact they are fishing the small lakes but the reasons they are. When guides and their clients catch 500-1k perch a day every day of the winter for many years the population gets depleted.

If the guides could catch perch on devils lake they wouldn’t drive 60 miles to fish.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Protect what we have? Let’s just outlaw all fishing then…or only a select few who can be chosen can be selected to fish only certain areas. Get where I am going with this? Who says who and where etc that can be fished? Supply and demand. No fish equals less pressure on a system and it will rebound. It may take time but it will come back.
Edit: I am not a guide, don’t know any guides. Basically ave no skin in the game at all regarding guides.
Why have limits or seasons on anything if that’s the attitude. Wipe them out and hope they come back. I do have friends that guide and even they would like more regulation to keep the fly by nighters at bay that make the ones that do it right look bad.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure there is a meth head or 2 Dr. out there. Just cause you are qualified in something doesn’t make you good at it or a non drug addict.
Maybe but there would be a lot more if they let everyone who watched er be a doctor

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND has a 20 fish limit on blue gills EXCEPT on the best blue gill lake in the state ... Metigoshe, where the limit is 10. Go figure. If you are wondering why I say Metigoshe is the best blue gill lake it is because it is the only ND lake that has a blue gill tournament - usually in March. A limit of 'gills can be caught any and every day of the week (and twice on Sunday) if no wardens are patrolling!

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why have limits or seasons on anything if that’s the attitude. Wipe them out and hope they come back. I do have friends that guide and even they would like more regulation to keep the fly by nighters at bay that make the ones that do it right look bad.
Oh I bet they would love more regulations such as areas where only X number of guides are allowed. Basically stay out of MY area. People love regulations when it benefits them.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
I guess we better just let kurtr's friends who guide decide who gets to guide because they "do it right"

How do you decide who's doing it right? Who decides? The clients? NDGF? A survey here?

I'm not completely on board with reduced limits but it seems to make the most sense out of the solutions mentioned so far

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe but there would be a lot more if they let everyone who watched er be a doctor
Last time I checked anybody who watched ER could be a DR. regardless of the meth or not. Just have to apply themselves if they so choose. I actually know a few people who are what we would probably consider an asset to society who do the occasional drugs including meth. You would be very surprised about the people around you that you would think are 100% clean. Would there be more? Doubtful, I believe it comes down to the person not the regulations or guidelines implemented.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last time I checked anybody who watched ER could be a DR. regardless of the meth or not. Just have to apply themselves if they so choose. I actually know a few people who are what we would probably consider an asset to society who do the occasional drugs including meth. You would be very surprised about the people around you that you would think are 100% clean. Would there be more? Doubtful, I believe it comes down to the person not the regulations or guidelines implemented.
If you would have said weed maybe even maybe a little coke but get the fuck out of here with the occasional meth head is an asset to society.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you would have said weed maybe even maybe a little coke but get the fuck out of here with the occasional meth head is an asset to society.
Could care less what you believe or don’t. Some people like the head in the sand feeling.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This argument is moot on the grounds that just like slot limits, closing spawning to fishing and changing the fishing limits by The NDGF have found out that the pressure on our lakes is not significant enough to warrant a change to the topics above. So what is going on here is we are debating on something that has no evidence that it will benefit the state other then the guy who lives 4 miles from his own private honey hole. Anyone can go online and figure out with some certainty which lakes the gnf stock with those little green toads either by stocking reports or gill net surveys these are all open to the public which is what the guides use to figure out which lakes have the biggest population according to said studies. Here we aren't even talking about the ones who come out of state the sconis and the blue platers who have obviously see more pressure on their own state bodies of water so that come to our own state where they keep their catch their daily limits then head back home. Yes I know that those most likely the sconis a day the blue platers are hiring from the guides which doesn't even come close to the amount of people who used to come here with thier own rigs.

I used to read all kinds of post on this same topics about these particular group of people but now we are talking about guides that are putting in the work day in and day out to bring these people their limits of fish to go home with. Donald Schnering was a man who owned a few homes in the Lehr area who brought money in by promoting to the sconis and the blue platers, he would get crucified online about his reports about how the fishing is going in that area well guess what those pot holes are drying up and no one's stocking those pot holes with fish anymore meaning less people are coming and spending money in those communities. And it had nothing to with fishing pressure and had everything to do with mother nature, he had sold his houses in Lehr area and doesn't post anymore reports. Now those communities don't get anymore of that money that those people brought into that communities

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND has a 20 fish limit on blue gills EXCEPT on the best blue gill lake in the state ... Metigoshe, where the limit is 10. Go figure. If you are wondering why I say Metigoshe is the best blue gill lake it is because it is the only ND lake that has a blue gill tournament - usually in March. A limit of 'gills can be caught any and every day of the week (and twice on Sunday) if no wardens are patrolling!
The lake we have a cabin on in MN has a 5 a day bluegill limit. I think there are more and more lakes in MN doing the same thing. I am fine with it. I think the lake is like only 2000 acres. It really cannot handle pontoons full of kids keeping 15-20 bluegills each day. Do not take that the wrong way as we need to get more youngsters out fishing and hunting but keeping 5 each will get a youngster hooked just the same. Keeps the old timers, regular fisher ppl from overfishing also, IMO.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This argument is moot on the grounds that just like slot limits, closing spawning to fishing and changing the fishing limits by The NDGF have found out that the pressure on our lakes is not significant enough to warrant a change to the topics above. So what is going on here is we are debating on something that has no evidence that it will benefit the state other then the guy who lives 4 miles from his own private honey hole. Anyone can go online and figure out with some certainty which lakes the gnf stock with those little green toads either by stocking reports or gill net surveys these are all open to the public which is what the guides use to figure out which lakes have the biggest population according to said studies. Here we aren't even talking about the ones who come out of state the sconis and the blue platers who have obviously see more pressure on their own state bodies of water so that come to our own state where they keep their catch their daily limits then head back home. Yes I know that those most likely the sconis a day the blue platers are hiring from the guides which doesn't even come close to the amount of people who used to come here with thier own rigs.

I used to read all kinds of post on this same topics about these particular group of people but now we are talking about guides that are putting in the work day in and day out to bring these people their limits of fish to go home with. Donald Schnering was a man who owned a few homes in the Lehr area who brought money in by promoting to the sconis and the blue platers, he would get crucified online about his reports about how the fishing is going in that area well guess what those pot holes are drying up and no one's stocking those pot holes with fish anymore meaning less people are coming and spending money in those communities. And it had nothing to with people fishing press-release and had everything to do with mother nature, he had sold his houses in Lehr area and doesn't post anymore reports. Now those communities don't get anymore of that money that those people brought into that communities
But Lunker I received my biology degree from reading forums and talking to my fellow guiding buddies. We all agree there needs to be more limits and the areas I guide in should be off limits to others. To add it’s also cause we do it the correct way…cause we said.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
But Lunker I received my biology degree from reading forums and talking to my fellow guiding buddies. We all agree there needs to be more limits and the areas I guide in should be off limits to others. To add it’s also cause we do it the correct way…cause we said.
That's becuase someone else's degree came from an Ivory school with a master in bullshitting so you are under qualified and your opinion is moot. Kidding Those lakes with perch in them need to be harvested every so many years and so if they are over harvested the gnf will restock them with more fingerlings or adults if you don't harvest those lakes you get a population of fish that are stunted with 4 inch adults with eggs in them. Ask me how I know this

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's becuase someone else's degree came from an Ivory school with a master in bullshitting so you are under qualified and your opinion is moot. Kidding Those lakes with perch in them need to be harvested every so many years and so if they are over harvested the gnf will restock them with more fingerlings or adults if you don't harvest those lakes you get a population of fish that are stunted with 4 inch adults with eggs in them. Ask me how I know this
I agree with you. My whole view on this is the more laws and regulations we have the less free we are. That doesn’t mean I believe in a free for all, yes some stuff needs laws and regulations. The ND game and fish has it down to what is needed in the state for the most part. Not everything will ever be perfect to fit every single persons situation. These guides who have to travel will more than likely take a hit eventually. Think about it this way. I am from Minneapolis and I pay to fish devils lake. I get there and so and so guide makes me drive 40 plus miles to another lake..is that what I paid for? Some people may be ok with that but I would say eventually it will effect there business and so it turns into a cycle. Less business less pressure. Less fish less pressure. As you also said there is a natural cycle with the fish in general.

But hey somebody always wants to change something to there buddies benefit or themselves.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree also we are debating for the sake of debating when all actuality we will lose more rights that will effect us in ways that are much more detrimental to our livelihood then worrying about if we are getting keepers from our own honey hole. Mother nature is who controls how many little honey holes we have in our state, i believe their are less the a thousand total lakes that get stocked at any given year and I bet a dollar probably less then half of those lakes are not even able to be self sustainable for certain species becuase of winter kill or lack of cover.
For the record I just wanted to make the guides put their name on their equipment just incase I happen to see one at the gas station or on the ice. That way I can ice pirate then I don't actually have to knock on their door everytime to ask them if they are catching anything. Stir the pot emoji 🤪

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish primarily McKenzie bay, there is a few boat ramps, but no hotels, no big guest houses, no big dinning area, or bar, guessing if there is guides ramping out of this area, they are quick day trip types.
Skunk has a restaurant/bar, but also maybe a cabin or 2, not a big rental guide type area either.
How would you rate the area in diversity and gay acceptance?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 178
  • This month: 163
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89