Limit lakes for guides?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess we better just let kurtr's friends who guide decide who gets to guide because they "do it right"

How do you decide who's doing it right? Who decides? The clients? NDGF? A survey here?

I'm not completely on board with reduced limits but it seems to make the most sense out of the solutions mentioned so far
Sounds like a solid plan. For some one who doesn’t know any one who guides sure have a vested interest….

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Sounds like a solid plan. For some one who doesn’t know any one who guides sure have a vested interest….
You're mixing my posts with Fester's. I'm sure your guide friends are geniuses like those idiot YouTubers you've been defending all over the Internet.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're mixing my posts with Fester's. I'm sure your guide friends are geniuses like those idiot YouTubers you've been defending all over the Internet.
So how’s that all worked out…..

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ditto, especially since I said my buddies and I are smarter.
Where did I say me or my buddies were smarter. Quote that post with those words. Maybe some meth would help my memory or some red balls it works for Tyrone biggums

623AC1FF-0E22-4489-A12C-5703F71460EC.jpeg

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Where did I say me or my buddies were smarter. Quote that post with those words. Maybe some meth would help my memory or some red balls it works for Tyrone biggums

623AC1FF-0E22-4489-A12C-5703F71460EC.jpeg
“Why have limits or seasons on anything if that’s the attitude. Wipe them out and hope they come back. I do have friends that guide and even they would like more regulation to keep the fly by nighters at bay that make the ones that do it right look bad.” Damn

Oh wait does it specifically say I am smarter than everybody here. My friends are smarter than everybody here? Nope don’t need to say it but again…we get it you want laws for everybody else to keep away people from your and your buddies (guides)fish. Cause they do it right

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
“Why have limits or seasons on anything if that’s the attitude. Wipe them out and hope they come back. I do have friends that guide and even they would like more regulation to keep the fly by nighters at bay that make the ones that do it right look bad.” Damn

Oh wait does it specifically say I am smarter than everybody here. My friends are smarter than everybody here? Nope don’t need to say it but again…we get it you want laws for everybody else to keep away people from your and your buddies (guides)fish. Cause they do it right
Nice try but big swing and a miss. Keeping throwing shit on the wall you might eventually get something to stick.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why should we limit guides? I thought we are capitalist country? No different then regulating a CEO/company. We have the good ol’ ND game and fish to do any type of stocking of fisheries that’s needed. Seems like some people or ok regulating what works for them only.
Limiting the exploitation of a shared and extremely limited natural public resource is night and day different than limiting free markets and commerce. Where exactly is your line for this free for all? Unlimited commercial fishing boats OK? Unlimited timber harvest OK? Unlimited OTC big game hunting tags with no guide restrictions OK? None of those resources would see the end of the decade without limiting commercial take.

So is there a line? Because if there is, it would extend to all commercial users at scale to avoid being hypocritical. Or are all the activities present above OK? In which case, I’m sorry, but all rational thought has left the chat.

For the record, I don’t know the dynamics of the original question. I do know it’s easier to put restrictions into place now before the number of guides does a 5x and you’re all standing there wondering wtf happened and it’s too late to put regulations in place. That’s essentially what happened with Dall Sheep in AK. It became a free for all. And no one listened to resident hunter’s concern and recommendations to limit OTC non resident (guided) hunters first. Guides could tag as many as they wanted. No cap. So now that the resource has been exploited past it’s tipping point, everyone will get the door closed including the residents that saw the writing on the wall and screamed for change. Good luck

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Limiting the exploitation of a shared and extremely limited natural public resource is night and day different than limiting free markets and commerce. Where exactly is your line for this free for all? Unlimited commercial fishing boats OK? Unlimited timber harvest OK? Unlimited OTC big game hunting tags with no guide restrictions OK? None of those resources would see the end of the decade without limiting commercial take.

So is there a line? Because if there is, it would extend to all commercial users at scale to avoid being hypocritical. Or are all the activities present above OK? In which case, I’m sorry, but all rational thought has left the chat.

For the record, I don’t know the dynamics of the original question. I do know it’s easier to put restrictions into place now before the number of guides does a 5x and you’re all standing there wondering wtf happened and it’s too late to put regulations in place. That’s essentially what happened with Dall Sheep in AK. It became a free for all. And no one listened to resident hunter’s concern and recommendations to limit OTC non resident (guided) hunters first. Guides could tag as many as they wanted. No cap. So now that the resource has been exploited past it’s tipping point, everyone will get the door closed including the residents that saw the writing on the wall and screamed for change. Good luck
I would say commercial fishing vs a small business are two different things. The original post debated restricting small business guides not commercial fishing.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the only commercial fresh water fishing in the United States is done by Native Americans in compliance with their treaties with the Federal Government. I know in Minnesota that takes place on Red Lake. Not sure what other tribes, lakes or states this applies to.
Salt water commercial fishing is a completely different situation. Within the 12 mile state limit off the coast of California the sport and commercial regulations are adopted by the Fish and Game Commission. Fishing in Federal waters beyond the 12 mile limit is complicated and can vary from state to state and country to country.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member

I think this is the essence of the issue. We cap deer tags, have seasons, limits, etc. because it is a finite resource.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Ya good luck explaining anything to that guy. I don’t think he understands what commercial means.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have not fish since i was a kid in the fifths on the Sheyenne River catching Bullheads for the stock pond in the pasture to catch again. Nor have i ate a fish since one time in high school when they served fish sticks on Friday with peas. So for all of you, fish on. db

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have not fish since i was a kid in the fifths on the Sheyenne River catching Bullheads for the stock pond in the pasture to catch again. Nor have i ate a fish since one time in high school when they served fish sticks on Friday with peas. So for all of you, fish on. db
That is where I caught my first fish which was a bullhead out of stock pond,

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member

WJS, Your post is spot on!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88