Limit lakes for guides?

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Social Media has made a big change when and where to fish as we all know, plus guiding can be big money if you put effort in. I don't like them cleaning out lakes put if each person buys a fishing license you are allowed so many fish.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make the perch limit 50 for all I care. I hate them things.

But I realize that's not the norm (truthfully, I just don't like cleaning little fish I don't find them worth the hassle).

One thing y'all need to consider is a lot of these stocked prairie ponds aren't permanent resources. The G&F stocks them one year when conditions are good, and then in a 5-6 years it becomes fishable for keepers (assuming conditions remain favorable). But if severe drought hits or some farmer gets crazy with the cheeze whiz and starts drain tiling, the pond disappears and so do the fish. They're not necessarily meant as sustainable, long-term fishing waters.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
theres quite a few guides on western sak... their home base may not be western sak but they certainly run clients through out west . guides from DL and garrison area go "out west" for clients. and blast it over social media.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cost to hire one is high and you have to be good to keep busy
guide boats --dive boats --- most places its a 365 day job. Here in the land of tundra ---- you have to have another source of $$$. To hire a guide is cheap imovs the costs.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I fish the middle section of Sak and see at least 1 guide every time I am out , a lot of times 2

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
There has been two different guides on another area lake, the one with a running joke about it, that hammered it hard last winter with snow bears. See they are back for first ice too. They advertise devils lake perch, but drive 45 miles and smash these little pot holes. Sucks when they wipe out a lake 4 miles from your house.
That's awful!! Where did those a-holes do that?? 😬

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just wish they made it mandatory that if you have a guide license you must put decals providing your license number. Maybe that has changed because when I fished more on devils I never seen guides display their guide services. And I'm not talking about resort rentals here just guides that way even the game warden knows they are guides.;)

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure what that would change, I'd say a guide is the least likely of anyone to knowingly break the law. They have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
latendresse up at vanhook has zero stickers on his boat runs a tiller warrior, loves to pull cranks haha i end up fishing next to him often as we obviously look for the same bite when pulling cranks.
dont think clayton in the arm has anything fancy on his boat either,
there is way more guides out west than you know. bright eyed from turtle lake guides up in the arm too
liebel guides in the arm and river

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i personally dont think a day goes by in the arm mid summer where there isnt 1/2dz guides or more a day

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a discussion with a couple of buddies about how guides can quickly deplete an abundant prairie pothole lake.

One guy suggested that guides should only be allowed to operate on the big waters: Sakakawea, Missouri River, Red River, Devils Lake, etc…

One guy suggested that guides should be able to operate on any water, but be limited to how often they can guide on a pothole lake.

In my area, I we have seen Antelope Lake, Clear Lake, and others get wiped out pretty good by the barrage of guides. Maybe this is okay 🤷‍♂️. Maybe that is what the NDGF stocking dollars are for? Curious what others think about this.
Why should we limit guides? I thought we are capitalist country? No different then regulating a CEO/company. We have the good ol’ ND game and fish to do any type of stocking of fisheries that’s needed. Seems like some people or ok regulating what works for them only.

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why should we limit guides? I thought we are capitalist country? No different then regulating a CEO/company. We have the good ol’ ND game and fish to do any type of stocking of fisheries that’s needed. Seems like some people or ok regulating what works for them only.
Fester, I totally agree. The guides aren't wiping out the fish as much as us locals. We all chase the hot bite. G&F say fish these small lakes and sloughs, as mother nature and old age will take the fish if we don't. ND G&F does a better job of stocking than any of the other states in our area. Hate this not in my back yard mentality.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fester, I totally agree. The guides aren't wiping out the fish as much as us locals. We all chase the hot bite. G&F say fish these small lakes and sloughs, as mother nature and old age will take the fish if we don't. ND G&F does a better job of stocking than any of the other states in our area. Hate this not in my back yard
Good example…Sibley. How many guides were on that to wipe it out? I would say very few if any. High pressure will bring low pressure eventually, and hopefully along with stocking bring the population back.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i personally dont think a day goes by in the arm mid summer where there isnt 1/2dz guides or more a day
I fish primarily McKenzie bay, there is a few boat ramps, but no hotels, no big guest houses, no big dinning area, or bar, guessing if there is guides ramping out of this area, they are quick day trip types.
Skunk has a restaurant/bar, but also maybe a cabin or 2, not a big rental guide type area either.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish primarily McKenzie bay, there is a few boat ramps, but no hotels, no big guest houses, no big dinning area, or bar, guessing if there is guides ramping out of this area, they are quick day trip types.
Skunk has a restaurant/bar, but also maybe a cabin or 2, not a big rental guide type area either.
Are you pointing out an opportunity?

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fester, I totally agree. The guides aren't wiping out the fish as much as us locals. We all chase the hot bite. G&F say fish these small lakes and sloughs, as mother nature and old age will take the fish if we don't. ND G&F does a better job of stocking than any of the other states in our area. Hate this not in my back yard mentality.
I guess I don't understand that line of thinking. How many regular Joes fish every day, bringing 3-8 extra people with who all want limits? Of course there's the local old guys that fish every day too, but...

That said, there are a lot of fishing opportunities in ND right now. Certainly ok with protecting what we have though.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's just too bad any Tom, Dick and Harry can become one without much trouble. They should make them jump through more hoops to weed out the mouth breathers.
This is America. I thought everyone had the right to do whatever kind of work they want. Kinda ironic how no one wants the government to control them but they sure want them to control everyone else to do what they want.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is America. I thought everyone had the right to do whatever kind of work they want. Kinda ironic how no one wants the government to control them but they sure want them to control everyone else to do what they want.
You still have to be qualified to do the work you choose. Pretty certain you dont want meth head bob doing your heart surgery just because he wants to be a doctor

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 178
  • This month: 163
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89