Limit lakes for guides?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I had a discussion with a couple of buddies about how guides can quickly deplete an abundant prairie pothole lake.

One guy suggested that guides should only be allowed to operate on the big waters: Sakakawea, Missouri River, Red River, Devils Lake, etc…

One guy suggested that guides should be able to operate on any water, but be limited to how often they can guide on a pothole lake.

In my area, I we have seen Antelope Lake, Clear Lake, and others get wiped out pretty good by the barrage of guides. Maybe this is okay 🤷‍♂️. Maybe that is what the NDGF stocking dollars are for? Curious what others think about this.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not sure how many guides are on western Sakakawea, but with 21 years of fishing this side of the lake, pretty steadily, I have never come across one. I am sure there is some, but they must be up in the New Town area, SW I am guessing none, as they really don't have any resorts to stack guys up in either.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make them lease areas they can guide in and set a limit of how many guides in that concession. Kinda how they set up hunting areas in Canada

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should have said i have no problem with the dvl guides. I wouldn't want their job. Ive watched suburban's unloading houses then a hour later loading everything up to move. The whole time not getting any help from customers. It wouldn't be easy putting people on fish every day.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it's resident and non-resident lakes. No issue with guides taking residents on any ND lakes. Smaller lakes are residents, non-resident fishing with immediate family or non-residents with a prior 18 years of residency only. Out of staters not fishing with immediate family or prior 18 year residency....Devils, Sak, etc......and triple the price of non-resident licenses.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know the answer but I will say it sucked watching the guides clean out antelope a few years back. I didn't see them on Clear lake but plenty of out of state plates.

Stinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know the answer but I will say it sucked watching the guides clean out antelope a few years back. I didn't see them on Clear lake but plenty of out of state plates.
There has been two different guides on another area lake, the one with a running joke about it, that hammered it hard last winter with snow bears. See they are back for first ice too. They advertise devils lake perch, but drive 45 miles and smash these little pot holes. Sucks when they wipe out a lake 4 miles from your house.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once up on Northgate I called a guide a penis. We then began heaving rocks at one another. As the range was too great and both realizing we were just eroding the riprap we decided to end the fray with obscene gestures. I think his client pissed on my truck door. If I ever again see this son of a bitch I'll give him double the obscene gestures.

Last edited:

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't understand why they can't drop the limit on Perch to 10. The new Mega Live or whatever technology that guides have will help them clean out these lakes even faster.

The word on a hot lake seems to get around real fast even if it doesn't get posted online somewhere.

gillraker

I don't understand why they can't drop the limit on Perch to 10. The new Mega Live or whatever technology that guides have will help them clean out these lakes even faster.

The word on a hot lake seems to get around real fast even if it doesn't get posted online somewhere.
The reason they wont reduce the perch limit to ten is they dont want to piss off the resort owners, hotel owners and guides and outfitters that rely on this is a business. The tourism Dept and Governor wont let it happen. They dont want to discourage all the "tourists" from making several trips here through out the Winter to fill their coolers with "Yellow Gold" fillets. ND Game and Fish philosophy is they are better off wiping these lakes out by hook and line, rather than Mother Nature with winterkill... Valid argument?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Limit the number of guides.

Perch limit to 10. Nobody needs 20 perch. I’m just as guilty as anyone. If the limit is 20 and it’s good I’ll keep my 20. Then bitch about cleaning all these perch. Ha

I wish they could keep guides off small lakes but how do you do that? To me it would be embarrassing to be a guide and advertise all these fish in the great devils lake and then drive 60 miles to a pothole lake and set up a house by 70 other houses.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice fishing guide one thing -- how does a guide even make it in this 100k plus world of boats and overpriced everything else. ND is so seasonal and how many months do clients do not want to go due to weather.

Ice fishing you can keep all them perch --- unless if they are 14 inchers --- the rest are to small to clean taste is so so they come out of water you can see your hand in. Perch - overrratted

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
small lakes are so cyclical, might as well enjoy them while they are producing, cuz you never know when drought or winter kill will wipe them out anyway. There are plenty of lakes in ND for those who want to do some exploring...

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice fishing guide one thing -- how does a guide even make it in this 100k plus world of boats and overpriced everything else. ND is so seasonal and how many months do clients do not want to go due to weather.

Ice fishing you can keep all them perch --- unless if they are 14 inchers --- the rest are to small to clean taste is so so they come out of water you can see your hand in. Perch - overrratted
Cost to hire one is high and you have to be good to keep busy

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 178
  • This month: 163
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93