Looking for mid-size pickup

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend has new Honda Ridgeline pulls few things says need to be carefull loves ridge and not to good in deeper snow or off road was not cheap loaded up model $55,000

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend has new Honda Ridgeline pulls few things says need to be carefull loves ridge and not to good in deeper snow or off road was not cheap loaded up model $55,000
and it is far from bad ass looking.
I see them and its like the Subaru of pickups.

Happycamper

Honored Member
As an old greybeard I love my Ridgeline. Stepping up to get in a silverado or f 150 w/o running boards is tough. All those little extras like tie down brackets, lights in the box, swinging tailgate and the under the box storage are nice features. My only gripe is that the standard commercial dust seal isn't adequate to keep dust out of the box. I drive a lot of gravel and this year most back roads are powder. I welcome any suggestions.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are going to upgrade that taco --- if i am a betting man that taco comes out bigger badder and guess what another turbo and no AFM, no bad lifters, etc. Hopefully old school.

65k is the going price now on that 23 AT4X Canyon -- every offroad toy on it --- however i cant believe anyone is going to pay that price.

We need a friendly energy program --- i cant stand the road were going.

Toyota and hydrogen --- lets burn water vs. some battery that isnt going to last.

Deerhntr71

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I went a totally different way from downsizing to a midsize pickup. Traded for 2921 Chevy Silverado RST with the 6.2L engine. Really like it, and will pull boat no problem.will even pull travel trailer if we move from rv lot. Don’t think I would have liked giving up that much room in the cab or box, plus less power for towing.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Great choice! I wish I would have bit the bullet and got the 6.2L. I settled for the 5.3. Which the older ones were great for hauling the groceries. Improvements have been made on the newer ones so I can pull my boat without redlining on every slight incline or bucking a 10 mph breeze. 6.2L is a great choice! Enjoy.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well, I went a totally different way from downsizing to a midsize pickup. Traded for 2921 Chevy Silverado RST with the 6.2L engine. Really like it, and will pull boat no problem.will even pull travel trailer if we move from rv lot. Don’t think I would have liked giving up that much room in the cab or box, plus less power for towing.
To Far into the future for me. LB

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just retired from. GM after 30 years, never owned a vehicle in that time,always had a company truck ,never was concerned about abusing my company vehicle as I beat the shit out of everyone I had usually a Chevy 1500,great trucks.

Before I pulled the plug I decided to order a Chevrolet colorado, same truck as the gmc canyon ,didn't have a need for a full size truck,I ordered a ZR2 bison addition off road package, she has 3 more inches of ground clearance than the std colo,,plus solid ion steel plates undercarriage I wanted for driving picked corn fields locking front and rear differential 2022 model with the v-6.

Thought about the 2.8 duramax but gutless.

Gm talked about putting the 3lit duramax in as a option,same power train in the 1500 trucks,maybe in 2023? Don't know.

This Colorado is a tank,shitty mpg,so far my avg mpg is 18 city,21 hwy,hoping the mpgs increase once power train breaks In,only 3500 miles on it,I usually drive a little shit box honda I bought my parents in 2005 after my parents passed I kept this little car for a grocery getter,35mpg is a plus.

Good friend has a Tacoma, nice truck but when he hooks up his ranger boat,rear bumper in just inches off the pavement.

Oh,trailering specs on the Colorado v6 is over 7k lbs,solid midsized truck

To bad GM phased out the v6 in 2023,4 banger sucks,diesel is gutless unless the 3lit becomes a option.

Goodluck on whatever you land on,these days ya gotta have deep pockets or hope for low apr,with our current administration and feds keep jacking up our rates,it's a tough go,dealers will become resource full on financing or go belly up,take your time purchasing if you can,things will lose up.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have found over the last 25 years that my 97 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 5 speed manual, 4:10 gears make for a great all-around vehicle. Pulling power is good, mileage of 16 and rides on the stiff side.
When drove with the Ram on the hood, a little bit of a lift it does give one that special feeling one needs now and then to cope with life. It is all good.

Does scare the Chevy and Fords off while the Toyota don't even look. db

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My old F250 Not as old as db-2 Dodge. Pulls our 25' bumper pull camper or my slide-in camper with boat just fine. Got a little over 80,000 on her now and those pesky spark plugs were changed out long ago. 6sp manuel with the 5.4. Get around 12 pulling and 18 reg driving if I keep my foot out of it. Bit of a hassle putting boat in water if steep launch but I manage, have not put it in the lake yet, Was paid for 4 years after I bought it and now looking at new pickups I just shudder. I figure they will take my keys before quit using it. I will sell outright because dealers want to steal it and I mean STEAL. I will let you know when she up for sale. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My old F250 Not as old as db-2 Dodge. Pulls our 25' bumper pull camper or my slide-in camper with boat just fine. Got a little over 80,000 on her now and those pesky spark plugs were changed out long ago. 6sp manuel with the 5.4. Get around 12 pulling and 18 reg driving if I keep my foot out of it. Bit of a hassle putting boat in water if steep launch but I manage, have not put it in the lake yet, Was paid for 4 years after I bought it and now looking at new pickups I just shudder. I figure they will take my keys before quit using it. I will sell outright because dealers want to steal it and I mean STEAL. I will let you know when she up for sale. LB

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of my friends have had great luck with the GMC 3L diesel so I picked up a GMC Denali 3L in June. I get 30 mpg at 65 and 26 at 75mph. I pull an 8600lb 30 ft travel trailer with ease. The problem started in October when it started missing do bad the whole truck rocked. The service manager said that's the way they run. I had to be nasty to get it to a mechanic. So they run a scan and send to GMC. They thought one cylinder was flooding out and replaced all the injectors. That did no good. Now it's in for three days getting a new injector pump. The problem is it takes weeks to get parts and the service manager will not schedule until the parts come in. They are a month out so from parts order to actual work is 6 to 8 weeks. I bought it in June and got to use it until October. It sat at the dealership out in the elements for a month one time. The last fiasco I took it home to set in the garage. Getting a simple oil change is a week or even more out.

If this truck isn't running right this time I am checking into North Dakota lemon laws.

I did buy a new Chev Traverse in 2019 in Carrington. I never wait more than a day for an oil change.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of my friends have had great luck with the GMC 3L diesel so I picked up a GMC Denali 3L in June. I get 30 mpg at 65 and 26 at 75mph. I pull an 8600lb 30 ft travel trailer with ease. The problem started in October when it started missing do bad the whole truck rocked. The service manager said that's the way they run. I had to be nasty to get it to a mechanic. So they run a scan and send to GMC. They thought one cylinder was flooding out and replaced all the injectors. That did no good. Now it's in for three days getting a new injector pump. The problem is it takes weeks to get parts and the service manager will not schedule until the parts come in. They are a month out so from parts order to actual work is 6 to 8 weeks. I bought it in June and got to use it until October. It sat at the dealership out in the elements for a month one time. The last fiasco I took it home to set in the garage. Getting a simple oil change is a week or even more out.

If this truck isn't running right this time I am checking into North Dakota lemon laws.

I did buy a new Chev Traverse in 2019 in Carrington. I never wait more than a day for an oil change.
Better luck getting something worked on in a smaller community as not so busy.
That would really torque me, having a vehicle but always at the dealer getting something fixed.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
They just cant build one engine - make it bullet proof. 15 million options and you wonder why it takes so long to get em fixed.

Lifters are like playing russion rollette

I listened to a pod cast from Jimmy Houston ---- he said that he was broke busted after 2008 fisascoe by 2012 he didnt have a pot to piss in (he owned how many marine dealerships). Looking at what inflation did and the interest rates -- i dont know how marine dealers, car dealerships, and the long list goes on will be able to do it --- add EPA shit into it it just doesnt make sense. i do see why toyota is making one engin and one engine only for the tundra.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lbrandt:

Them old trucks one has had since the beginning of conception are like that extra lady friend that hangs around. Love them to death, sometimes just sitting in the cab can bring all kinds of joy and love.
They can do no wrong.

Mine one day, the kids will take and hope at a time i do not even realize it is gone. Hope the same love continues on as i am sure it will.
Just turn 100,000 this past summer. Looks like the day it was born with just a touch of wear. Hope to put a spotlight on soon for all the rabbits running around.

On a side note, dad bought a 48 IHC ton and a half new. Still there inside the shed with less than 30,000. Hope to get, do some minor work but for the most part also looks like the day it was born, db

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine is a 2012, with 42,000 on it. It gets taken out to the garage in the spring to pull the toy hauler to the lake, and back out in the fall to pull it back. I did use it as my everyday runner for the first year of ownership, then bought a small car to run to the office with and it has pretty much sat in the garage for most of its life.
That isn't necessarily good for a big diesel engine to sit like that.

I am going to have to either find a permanent spot for the 5th wheel, or sell it and pay someone to pull it to the lake, or start driving her a bit more for some trips to Bismarck just to exercise that 6.7 a bit more.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Johnr:

They do like to have some attention now and then to show you still love them. db
I actually drove it last weekend when it was in the high 40's here in Dickinson. It sat long enough the one year old batteries in her were dead. Had to charge it for most of Saturday, then took her to the market on Sunday while we did some shopping and let her idle in the lot for about an hour, put her back to bed. I am going to put some fresh oil in when the weather warms back up and run to Bismarck with her for a meeting.
Love this pickup, but fear the lack of use is going to bite me one day.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine is a 2012, with 42,000 on it. It gets taken out to the garage in the spring to pull the toy hauler to the lake, and back out in the fall to pull it back. I did use it as my everyday runner for the first year of ownership, then bought a small car to run to the office with and it has pretty much sat in the garage for most of its life.
That isn't necessarily good for a big diesel engine to sit like that.

I am going to have to either find a permanent spot for the 5th wheel, or sell it and pay someone to pull it to the lake, or start driving her a bit more for some trips to Bismarck just to exercise that 6.7 a bit more.

You have got to take them out once in awhile to stretch their legs, so to speak.
Our 16 Duramax is the same. Use it when traveling or when pulling a trailer and a trip now and then down to Phoenix, just to keep her lubed up.
Don't forget to put her in 4x4 once in a while to lube things up in their too.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have got to take them out once in awhile to stretch their legs, so to speak.
Our 16 Duramax is the same. Use it when traveling or when pulling a trailer and a trip now and then down to Phoenix, just to keep her lubed up.
Don't forget to put her in 4x4 once in a while to lube things up in their too.
Spot on BBJ,further short trips are hard on diesel engines,one needs to get the engine up to operating temps to avoid mechanical issues down the road, also GM recommends using they're or like diesel fuel conditioner every so often when truck sits idle for long periods.

BBJ,take care of this truck,your lucky it was one of the last not using Def fluid.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82