Lottery in process!!!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would work OK for the guy who doesn't really want to or can't hunt that year but still acquire a point.

That was my point. Would be a good way to loophole the point preference thing if you couldn't hunt for a year or two. Just apply for a zone you are guaranteed to not get a tag, and virtually "buy" a point for another season.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
not wanting to hunt a year or two? now that's just dumb.

IMO it would be a pretty ballsy move cause if for some reason there was a drop in gratis applicants, you are using your 4 points to hunt skin head doe in 3B1

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member

Where did I say anything about want? Sometimes stuff happens and folks have to miss deer season. If that was the case, you could still get a point for when you can hunt again. I know they carry over for a year even if you don't apply, but this way you could at least add to your chances for when you could hunt again.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
They need an option to buy points like Wyoming, but stay out of the lottery. That way people can actually plan their hunts. And it increases the odds for people who actually would like to draw tags in a given year. It would also be a way to raise more funds by selling a point, with no refund, and selling the tag that they otherwise would have applied for. Never understood why they can't make this happen. We need to send our gnf department to a seminar in wyoming on how to get shit done.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
They need an option to buy points like Wyoming, but stay out of the lottery. That way people can actually plan their hunts. And it increases the odds for people who actually would like to draw tags in a given year. It would also be a way to raise more funds by selling a point, with no refund, and selling the tag that they otherwise would have applied for. Never understood why they can't make this happen. We need to send our gnf department to a seminar in wyoming on how to get shit done.

Well, tags increased this year, but that could change. I imagine if we get to the hypothetical I opined earlier in this thread, a point-purchase process may be the only choice. Tags would be so coveted, and chances so extremely low, it would be the only way to keep revenue up and actually have a shot at drawing a tag.

Then again, we could all just take up bowhunting since that has basically no impact on deer numbers.

:;:stirthepot

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you guys cant just buy a pref point? That has to be one of the worst systems up there i have ever seen for residents getting license

- - - Updated - - -

we just buy points for 5 bucks in SD and $10 for elk and sheep and goats

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you guys cant just buy a pref point? That has to be one of the worst systems up there i have ever seen for residents getting license

- - - Updated - - -

we just buy points for 5 bucks in SD and $10 for elk and sheep and goats

it only cost me 10 bucks for a west river point in SD. Cheap as hell, i like it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

You do know laws are created by the legislature and not NDGF, right?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

There's only so much vacation time to go around. If someone has an out of state trip or two they might like to bank a point rather than receive a tag and not have time to dedicate like they'd like to.

I don't apply for ND's big 3 for this reason. By the time I learned I drew one of those tags my fall/vacation time is planned and I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to a once in a lifetime tag.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member

Careful what you wish for. Wyoming system is far from perfect and they are discovering that the past few years. It was all fine and dandy for the first 5-6 years after they implemented it. But now it is showing issues with point creep from all the people who just buy points every year coupled with the decline in tag numbers.

People are banking points and it makes planning even more difficult because you have no idea when people with 5-8 points are jumping in and applying for units that would normally only take 3-4 points to draw. With the declining available tags you also see crazy point creep to the point where as a nonresident you have to wonder if your willing to drop $50 a year for the next 11 years to get an average elk tag. Prices are sure to go up so in 11 years you will have around $600 in points and im sure an elk tag will be around $1500 at that point, s be ready to pay over $2000 for the tag alone.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok can’t find on NDGF…preference points - do you earn points every time you apply or do you only build points in specific unit? Example I apply for any antlered in 2F1 don’t get a tag then following year apply for any antlered in 2I … do I have preference points or do I start over…I think you start over? Right?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok can’t find on NDGF…preference points - do you earn points every time you apply or do you only build points in specific unit? Example I apply for any antlered in 2F1 don’t get a tag then following year apply for any antlered in 2I … do I have preference points or do I start over…I think you start over? Right?
You get a point every year you are not successful. Unit matters not. It doesn't reset for every different unit you apply in.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
You do know laws are created by the legislature and not NDGF, right?

What does that have to do with what I am proposing? Yeah....I get it. I am making a statement that I wish ND had an option to purchase a preference point and stay out of the lottery. If leadership at GNF chooses to explore that idea, yes it must go to the legislature. Its besides the point. I never said it would be implemented over night.

And pluckem, I agree that its not perfect. There is no way to guarantee a successful lottery application, but I think the pref point route does allow for better planning in the long term when applying for specific units. For the most part you will know how many tags a certain unit will take +/- a point so you can start entering the draw then and know you have a decent shot at getting drawn. Unlike ND, where you may put in for 4c muley and never expect to get drawn until year 7, and then actually get pulled on year 1 or 2 and you may have other plans made for the fall.

All i'm saying is I appreciate the system they have. Hasn't effected me in a negative way......yet. It would be great if we could all hunt WHERE we want, WHEN we want, for CHEAP....but opportunities are limited these days so $2000 spread over 7 years isnt that much of a sacrifice. I could think of much worse ways to blow that kind of cash. An elk hunt i'll remember forever is value in my eyes.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's only so much vacation time to go around. If someone has an out of state trip or two they might like to bank a point rather than receive a tag and not have time to dedicate like they'd like to.

I don't apply for ND's big 3 for this reason. By the time I learned I drew one of those tags my fall/vacation time is planned and I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to a once in a lifetime tag.

you dont lose your points until you dont apply two consecutive years. Wanna hunt out of state for a year and don't want a ND tag? Then don't apply. Want points? then apply. Life is full of hard choices.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
And pluckem, I agree that its not perfect. There is no way to guarantee a successful lottery application, but I think the pref point route does allow for better planning in the long term when applying for specific units. For the most part you will know how many tags a certain unit will take +/- a point so you can start entering the draw then and know you have a decent shot at getting drawn. Unlike ND, where you may put in for 4c muley and never expect to get drawn until year 7, and then actually get pulled on year 1 or 2 and you may have other plans made for the fall.

All i'm saying is I appreciate the system they have. Hasn't effected me in a negative way......yet. It would be great if we could all hunt WHERE we want, WHEN we want, for CHEAP....but opportunities are limited these days so $2000 spread over 7 years isnt that much of a sacrifice. I could think of much worse ways to blow that kind of cash. An elk hunt i'll remember forever is value in my eyes.

Agree with the last few sentences, I play the game too. And there are positives to just buying points from a planning perspective ast you stated.

However, I would argue on the no negative effect. It might not be easily quantifiable, but by allowing people to buy points only, you will get more people doing it. Might not be a big difference in the resident lottery because most residents can fit in 1-3 days to hunt even in a busy fall. But as a non-resident applying in other states it adds a ton of competition that would not be there if people had to enter the drawing each year and pay for a $600-$900 tag if drawn.

Take the Breaks region in Montana for example. They have a point system there, however you have to have a general tag ($850) in hand before you can apply for that hunt. It takes non-resident bowhunters 1-3 years to draw the hunt and rifle hunters maybe 8-11ish??

If Montana changed their system to allow the purchase of a preference point to anyone for $50 (no tag purchase needed) those years listed above would shoot way up in a matter of years. I could easily see 3-5 years for non-res bow tag and 10-15+ years for non-res rifle tag.

Everyone across the nation would start banking those points, cause why not? its only $50 and might as well start now. Then when they get 15 years into it they think to themselves I should probably start thinking about actually using my points and hunting out there. I'm getting old and who knows how much longer I will be able to hunt that terrain.

You will also see residents banking those points like crazy, similar to what Colorado has. There are thousands of residents that have great spots that they hunt each year with a general tag. They have groups, plans, traditions, etc. that they aren't willing to break every 3-5 years. But if they could buy a cheap point (as a resident) for the special draw units and bank it they would. Cause one day in the far off future it would be fun to have a change of scenery and hunt a "trophy" unit. So they pay the $10 or whatever for a point and then pick up the general tag to do the hunt they normally do.
Pretty soon it takes 20+ years to draw that tag.

Look it up.. max point holder in Colorado has something like 26 points.

Last edited:

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I follow you pluck'em. Makes sense.

Sounds like I need to apply for MT!:;:thumbsup

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33