Lottery in process!!!

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 18 points for elk in CO. With the points creep I will easily need in the 30 to 35 points range to draw a tag in a trophy unit. I still go archery hunting with an over the counter tag so I don't really feel I'm missing out. These trophy units are now once in a lifetime hunts in CO.

Last edited:

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys do know that if you do get drawn for a unit, lets say you draw a Any-Antlered in 3E1 which was your second choice on the app. You can forfeit your tag in the state of ND and receive an additional preference point and keep your original points, if you choose to do so. I've done it once.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does that have to do with what I am proposing? Yeah....I get it. I am making a statement that I wish ND had an option to purchase a preference point and stay out of the lottery. If leadership at GNF chooses to explore that idea, yes it must go to the legislature. Its besides the point. I never said it would be implemented over night.

Because of statements like "We need to send our gnf department to a seminar in wyoming on how to get shit done" suggest that you think the NDGF write the laws, they don't.

Personally, I don't think the NDGF gives a crap about how tags are handed out other than the mere fact they have to answer the phone. Every system has it's good and bad points (no pun intended). The bottom line is demand exceeds supply, that's why NR elk tags are so damn expensive elsewhere. I'm not saying changes can't be made, but unless rule changes coincide with greater game numbers and tag availability, I really doubt people would be happy no matter the rules.

Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on ya, I just see/hear lots of people blaming NDGF for laws that they typically have little say over. Do they get asked for input by the legislature when legislation is being considered? Often yes, but not always. And as a general rule, it's considered quite "rude" and out of their lane to be going to the legislature and lobbying for social issues in the hunting world. That last part I totally agree with as it's the first step towards having a state agency that gets a little too big for its britches. FWIW, fed agencies tend to have to play by the same rules, answer questions when asked by the elected politicians, but keep quiet on the social aspect of proposed legislation.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen,

I completely agree that they can't please everyone. I am not a perpetual gnf basher like some. I think they do a pretty damn good job actually, for the most part. (yes they have been a little slow to react to population shifts sometimes cough*deer*cough). If its true that you can give your tag back in exchange for an extra bonus point like Marlbeyez stated then I stand corrected. That mechanism is already in place and I wasn't aware and I dont think alot of others are either.

I guess I see the gnf as a figurehead and spokesperson for ND sportsman. They are funded by hunting/fishing dollars, but regulated by the legislature. I dont believe they should act like minions and only speak when spoken too. They should be comfortable going to the legislature and making suggestions in the best interest of their constituency which is anyone who hunts and fishes in the state. I don't believe its "rude" to stand up for the people paying the bill. If the legislature throws it in their face, well we need to have the gnf back and vote whoever is responsible out.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
ndlongshot,

I tend to agree with most of what you've written with the exception of the NDGF lobbying for social issues. I think it had best be a pretty large social injustice before they overstep the normal bounds of their lobbying for legislation.

Remember, no matter how well intentioned their efforts are for such a thing, they WILL be goring someone's ox. That equals bad press for the agency and really pissed off legislators with an agenda.

Now, I say that with the full knowledge of I may not get my coveted antlered WT tag this year. I'll despise the system and NDGF if I don't get what I am accustomed to!

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember, no matter how well intentioned their efforts are for such a thing, they WILL be goring someone's ox. That equals bad press for the agency and really pissed off legislators with an agenda.

Indeed! Politics at its best!

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys do know that if you do get drawn for a unit, lets say you draw a Any-Antlered in 3E1 which was your second choice on the app. You can forfeit your tag in the state of ND and receive an additional preference point and keep your original points, if you choose to do so. I've done it once.

Why would you forfeit the tag when you don't lose any of your points if you get your second choice anyway?

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
you dont lose any points anyway if you draw on your second choice.. so you could take the tag and still have your points plus you still get a point if you arent drawn on your first choice

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm guessing it will be released about five minutes before closing time. Shut phones off.....flip on the online system......hit the light switch and run out the door! ;:;popcorn

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
you dont lose any points anyway if you draw on your second choice.. so you could take the tag and still have your points plus you still get a point if you arent drawn on your first choice
And considering that odds of a second choice buck tag draw right now is extremely low it's not like its an option for more then a handful. Unless he's saying you can parlay it into two points in one year (that would be news to just about everyone) the giving back of the tag is pointless because if you didn't want it you should have never applied for it in the first place! all you do is take away someone else's shot and gain nothing in the end.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So what are the chances the result come out on Friday? Last year they came out fri July 31

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
they will be out early this week. lottery only sat in process 2 1/2 days last year.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
9 points for the 2017 muzzleloader. ZERO points for next years buck drawing though.... :;:rockit:;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 50
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 17