Votes: 143 52.0%
  • I'm not voting...

Votes: 11 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
interesting statistic I saw the other day. It costs ND tax payers around 40,000 a year to keep one person in prison for 1 full year. last year there were about 500 people that served a full year for marijuana related crimes (im sure some were non violent while others were violent). So, That was a cost of 20 million to the taxpayers. Just something to think about.

An extra 20 million we could hire more LEO's, game wardens, help with property tax relief, fix some more roads, put some into schools. AND that is just the cost of keeping them in jail, not the cost of the judges time, jury time, LEOs time etc.

Amazing, if true. At 100k per employee per year (50k salary, 40k benefits, 10k equipment) that kind of savings could put no less than 200 additional full-time peace officers in uniform and on our streets.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's good to hear this thread has helped. It has been a great debate (other than when name calling came in) and great points on both sides. I think it speaks volumes to the character to some of the people on this site. Great job guys. 21 pages and counting of civil debate!:;:duel

I’ve always enjoyed engaging in civil discourse with you guys....even when I’m right and you’re wrong.....grin

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the side of Achucker point of view I get it. I really do as this is good old ND and we dont like change. I don’t think society is better off with legal marijuana just like alcohol. Like I say there are no easy answers to all this. Bright side is I have a Muley tag. I win!

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On the side of Achucker point of view I get it. I really do as this is good old ND and we dont like change. I don’t think society is better off with legal marijuana just like alcohol. Like I say there are no easy answers to all this. Bright side is I have a Muley tag. I win!

Good luck on the muley. Still waiting for my turn. Hope to see pictures of the beast on here.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'm for change if it will benefit society as a whole

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty funny to see people argue about how strong the stuff is nowadays compared to the 70s. You mean progress is a bad thing? Christ look up some pictures from way back then. Can you imagine getting mad nowadays because your dam boat motor has more power than it did 50 years ago? Yep, it's that silly.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pretty funny to see people argue about how strong the stuff is nowadays compared to the 70s. You mean progress is a bad thing? Christ look up some pictures from way back then. Can you imagine getting mad nowadays because your dam boat motor has more power than it did 50 years ago? Yep, it's that silly.

Is you boat restricted to have a certain hp motor on it or can I just throw a 300 hp on a 14 ft tiller. It is that silly

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpeg

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Achucker I see that you care and don’t want a society of drug abusers. If you do really care you should try to help those who need it like meth addicts, alcoholics, or people who can’t quit the pills. This anti-marijuana bandwagon won’t change the existing drug problems that are flaming like wildfire.

You are correct....this measure won't change the landscape for addicts who struggle with truly life-threatening drugs....it would however free up LEO to deal with them instead of folks who smoke a joint and sit on their couch all night.

It's a silly, high-horse (pun intended) argument that prevents money and resources from going to the fight that really matters. How many here have seen someone go through meth or opioid addiction vs. pot? Not even a comparison.....how about alcohol vs. pot? Also not even a comparison...Either legalize pot or criminalize alcohol. It's really that simple.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are correct....this measure won't change the landscape of addicts who struggle with truly life-threatening drugs....it would however free up LEO to deal with them instead of folks who smoke a joint and sit on their couch all night.
How often does law enforcement kick down doors and arrest stoners sitting on their couch?

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How many of the cases of those opioid/meth cases or even alcohol cases also have a pot charge attached to it. Maybe pot is just hiding behind it's big brothers.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of the cases of those opioid/meth cases or even alcohol cases also have a pot charge attached to it. Maybe pot is just hiding behind it's big brothers.

So what you’re saying is alcohol is the real “gateway drug”.....

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of the cases of those opioid/meth cases or even alcohol cases also have a pot charge attached to it. Maybe pot is just hiding behind it's big brothers

Haha meth and opioids are pots big brother. Oh my. Ever seen a meth addict in a treatment center? They will literally pull their hair out from the withdrawals. Opioids are even worse. Most who become addicted to those drugs never recover completely they just linger on battling the demon. Meth users will use marijuana to come down after they have been up for days. Opioid addicts really don’t use marijuana much because their craving is the pills up their nose. They might use some if they run out . It’s sad Because these are regular people who took a wrong turn and can’t get back to the light.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How many of the cases of those opioid/meth cases or even alcohol cases also have a pot charge attached to it. Maybe pot is just hiding behind it's big brothers

Haha meth and opioids are pots big brother. Oh my. Ever seen a meth addict in a treatment center? They will literally pull their hair out from the withdrawals. Opioids are even worse. Most who become addicted to those drugs never recover completely they just linger on battling the demon. Meth users will use marijuana to come down after they have been up for days. Opioid addicts really don’t use marijuana much because their craving is the pills up their nose. They might use some if they run out . It’s sad Because these are regular people who took a wrong turn and can’t get back to the light.

Sounds like you have more experience on this than I so I will ask you. How many of them people that you described started down this road and tried pot first? Then I would love to know if they wish they would be able to go back to that moment and say they wish they would never had done it.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
And we’re going to gloss over that most of them probably drank first then....got it

- - - Updated - - -

I mean I get it though...narratives are important

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn’t tell you or make a good guess, but the person I am referring to started with meth at 13.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

I just drove through marmuth and holy were there mule deer out there. Between there and bowman 10 dead ones on side of road. That is some awesome country

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you have more experience on this than I so I will ask you. How many of them people that you described started down this road and tried pot first? Then I would love to know if they wish they would be able to go back to that moment and say they wish they would never had done it.

my wife had 9 years experience in child protection and most started with alcohol. Keep in mind these are the bottom of the barrel people so general population might be different.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is nice country. My tag is north of interstate!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
How often does law enforcement kick down doors and arrest stoners sitting on their couch?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ombined/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fa2f47c3c10a

According to FBI, 1.4 million DUI arrests were made in 2003. According to the Bureau of Transportation, 3 people die every 2 hours in the US from drunk driving.

I'd say LEO resources might be spent better elsewhere....

- - - Updated - - -

The statement "gateway drug" is completely tainted. The fact that MJ is a black market item puts people in contact with those who sell things on the black market. It is likely that if you're selling pot illegally then you're also selling other things. Meth at 13 isn't a coincidence or a result of trying pot. It's a consequence of life situations and being around people who sell meth. Remove the black market for pot by allowing it to be sold and taxed at legitimate outlets. They won't have the opportunity to buy meth, heroin, cocaine there.....They'd have to purposefully seek it out.

Last edited:

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ombined/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fa2f47c3c10a

According to FBI, 1.4 million DUI arrests were made in 2003. According to the Bureau of Transportation, 3 people die every 2 hours in the US from drunk driving.

I'd say LEO resources might be spent better elsewhere....

- - - Updated - - -

The statement "gateway drug" is completely tainted. The fact that MJ is a black market item puts people in contact with those who sell things on the black market. It is likely that if you're selling pot illegally then you're also be selling other things. Meth at 13 isn't a coincidence or a result of trying pot. It's a consequence of life situations and being around people who sell meth. Remove the black market for pot by allowing it to be sold and taxed at legitimate outlets. They won't have the opportunity to buy meth, heroin, cocaine there.....They'd have to purposefully seek it out.

So when teenagers obtain beer and take it to a party no other drugs are there they can try. And after a few drinks they make a bad choice to try other things mainly by peer pressure and get hooked.

Marijuana is a vice. It is something that should not be in the hands of anyone. It may be used responsibly by some but I would guess the number that wouldn't use it responsibly would greatly out weigh them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50