M9 Moose

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rifle moose season opens on Friday and my wife has a cow tag. I have a few leads on where to start, but just looking for a backup plan if those don't pan out and someone has seen any recently in the unit. Also checking to see if anyone out there has a bull tag and wants to exchange phone numbers in the event we, or you, find a moose of the wrong sex. Thanks!

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good luck to you and the Mrs.! I harvested my cow moose in M9 a couple years ago. I have a couple buddies that live in the unit, so they helped by getting out the word to some of the farmers harvesting soybeans. I was done on day 2. While we were eating lunch on day 1 out along the road, Game Warden stopped and visited with us, checked my license. He asked for my phone # and said if he hears or sees a cow moose, he would give me a call. Nice guy and had a great visit. Message me if you want more details.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just wanted to circle back and say thanks to everyone from this site, and others, who reached out to help my wife have a successful hunt! It certainly takes a village to find one of these creatures in a unit that covers almost 9,000 square miles!
moose.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Long haired mule ???????? Your right M-9 Is a lot of area. Congrats to your wife. LB

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Congrats to your wife on the harvest of one of ND wonderful resources. Just know that ground moose makes a great meatloaf and if wonderful in chili.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Congrats to the young Lady and that smile says it all.
I hope you are going to tan that hide!
A couple years ago, I was looking to have some gloves made out of my moose. I'm not one to do it myself...so I visited with someone that does it. After hearing what it would cost me per square foot...it didn't take me long to figure out I could buy a lot of the topnotch gloves form Scheel's for less. :eek:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple years ago, I was looking to have some gloves made out of my moose. I'm not one to do it myself...so I visited with someone that does it. After hearing what it would cost me per square foot...it didn't take me long to figure out I could buy a lot of the topnotch gloves form Scheel's for less. :eek:

Yeah, last time I had a deer hide tanned it was around $180 in 2017 or 2018. Since they charge by the square foot, I am going to guess a moose hide would be in the $500 range, or higher by now.

I did have my elk hide tanned back in 2005. Used it to make a soft-sided gun case for my muzzleloader and IMHO it turned out really nice!

I am thinking about getting my moose hide tanned, but have not yet come up with any ideas on what to do with a tanned moose hide.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 412
  • This month: 188
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 66