MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_5558.jpeg

Prayers up for this situation.

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sometimes forget how easily something like this can happen. Terrible deal.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think a 71 yr old man was removed from Leech Lake after a 2 day search recently. Sad deal.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I never go in a boat without one cause I swim like a freaking rock. You would think all my fat would make me bob like a bobber. Nope, Right to the bottom and walk to shore. LB

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad deal I was doing the same thing a couple weekends ago. I was more worried about dropping my rod and not about falling in without a life jacket. Could happen to anyone .

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
They always say not everyone floats. I always thought that was bull - - until i seen my german shorthair (no fat on her) swim. Add to that wind it wouldnt take much.

Sad deal condolences to the family and especially the wife.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a front pedestal leaning/butt seat that was too tall and I had waves knock me out of the boat 2x in just a couple of weekends. In both cases I had moved to get something, was settling back down, found a wave and the seat "bucked me out".

In both cases I had people fishing with me (which is actually unusual, I fish alone quite a bit). Nothing hurt but my pride. I lost 1 rod/rell and a couple pairs of prescription sunglasses, nothing that can't be easily replaced.

It happened very quickly.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never been tossed out of a boat before, but I've broke through enough thin ice to know that cold water is not something I like to be immersed in and it's damn dangerous to boot. Thoughts and Prayers for strength to the family and friends of this man.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
No ladder on my boat --- back when i was young (just a few years ago :)) i was able to climb up via the outboard. I am not so sure i could do that now. When we go to little lake havasu i jump in but use somebodys toon ladder to get out.

My swiming skills are less too --- not so much the skills but the shoulder knee issues --- the swiming a mile to shore days are out too. More points to a life jacket that i dont want to wear but should.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
not everyone floats. i didn't float when until at least my twenties. i could hold my breath for minutes at a time. so, i know my lungs weren't small. but, at swimming lessons, the new teachers each year were extremely perplexed to see me inhale a full set of lungs, curl up into a "survival float" only to watch my hind end start dropping and the torso follow... right to the bottom. of course i have a layer of yellow fat now and float.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't worry too much about falling out of the boat when I'm behind the winshield since it's an aluminum Lund with a fairly high side wall. But in the bow it's a different story. Haven't fallen yet, but I can see it happening. It's one of the rationales I had for getting an Ulterra/I-Pilot. The remote stays on the lanyard around my neck. Hopefully I'll come back up while the boat is still within range of the remote!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't worry too much about falling out of the boat when I'm behind the winshield since it's an aluminum Lund with a fairly high side wall. But in the bow it's a different story. Haven't fallen yet, but I can see it happening. It's one of the rationales I had for getting an Ulterra/I-Pilot. The remote stays on the lanyard around my neck. Hopefully I'll come back up while the boat is still within range of the remote!
My thoughts/rationale exactly Allen!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88