Mice in the house

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you use snap traps put some peanut butter on them. But also put two of them together adjoining either side by side or end to end. The lil suckers will eat that peanut butter right off. But by having two of them there, they'll screw up and one of them will get the lil sucker.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The absolute worst are the jumping mice. Those long legged freaks don't like my traps at all but will jump 2 ft straight up to get into a bucket of sand. Glue traps are the only thing I've used with some success at catching them.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you fellars use for the wire through the bottle/can? Needs to be rigid and perfectly straight not? I am thinking an old arrow would work as well.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you fellars use for the wire through the bottle/can? Needs to be rigid and perfectly straight not? I am thinking an old arrow would work as well.

I just used basic wire..probably not technically called wire. I am having a brain malfunction at the moment for the correct term..but whatever. It isn't rigid or perfectly straight, the can/bottle does a rotation when the little bugger gets on it an down it goes. I am sure an arrow would work as well if the can/bottle rotates freely.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

the antifreeze traps work great

I use RV antifreeze (less toxic)

rod needs to be small diameter so can/bottle roll easily - factory coat hangers (the main straight part) are ideal - use little zip ties to keep wire rods centered in the bucket - and use trimmed zip ties to keep the can centered on the coat hanger wire

peanut butter is the king of baits - smear a dab under the pad of a traditional trap

"finish off the top shmear without getting caught you skillfull little varmint? good luck licking the bottom clean - muhahaha"

coors light aluminum bottles work quite nicely on the log roller traps too

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
2015-08-22 12.23.07.jpg

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
basement is now littered with stickys and snap traps. no takers overnight.

might have to make a few bucket traps for outside and the garage. but ill have to use PBR can as i cant find other cans around my house

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
A cat is really the way to go. Never had mice in the house, always find them dead outside, usually with the head gone.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wife has a house cat. Pretty much the most useless animal I've ever seen. but I've been leaving the basement door open hoping he goes down there and earns his place in my house.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
2nd the cat thing. suppose its dependent on the cat(s). and there are a few cons... like cat litter, cat hair, cat pee outside, etc...

but, the only mouse we've ever had was when the place was completely gutted sans windows and doors during a remodel. i caught that little fella 2 days later. never seen even the sign of one before or since.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wifes cat....
I have a Lab.
The little fur ball does go down there at random. but no clue if its just for another spot to sleep

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have this set up as well..although I just use a wood plank for the little buggers to get up to can/peanut butter. I just returned from a weekend trip to our camper with enclosed porch in Northern Mn. There were 8 drowned mice in the 2 weeks since we were there last! Plus a couple more in the traps and stickie pads...Add these 8 from the bucket method to my earlier "catches" a few weeks before and there have been a total of 17 mice that have been fooled by the bucket method. And 9 caught by other means. Of course I didn't eliminate the entire population my neck of the woods but I bet they are on their guard for my antics as I put some damage on the population.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have this set up as well..although I just use a wood plank for the little buggers to get up to can/peanut butter. I just returned from a weekend trip to our camper with enclosed porch in Northern Mn. There were 8 drowned mice in the 2 weeks since we were there last! Plus a couple more in the traps and stickie pads...Add these 8 from the bucket method to my earlier "catches" a few weeks before and there have been a total of 17 mice that have been fooled by the bucket method. And 9 caught by other means. Of course I didn't eliminate the entire population my neck of the woods but I bet they are on their guard for my antics as I put some damage on the population.

c49ac59de6acbf95c9f90a54b64c9927727d61bc7279d65bc42f849255729b40.jpg

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
well so far nothing on the sticky traps but the wifes stupid cat. No sign of any more eating of the decon. so maybe the cat or decon got the lil bastards

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
so as I was scrolling through this thread I was preparing to make a smart ass comment about the only thing you will catch with the sticky traps is the worthless cat...

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yea, cannot get to sleep either. Db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 148
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 79