Minnesota Bear - anyone out?

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great bear!! We had a really crappy 4 days of hunting, weather was either raining or 40 mph winds, scored a big goose egg. But may go back?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy Schniekies!!! I'd say you have a rare gem of a woman for a wife. Cherish her!! Great to hear everyone was alright. What a gong show of a trip though. I don't suppose you will be forgetting this hunt anytime soon. Congratulations again on a great bear!!

Thanks! Yeah she is awesome. She was blood from head to toe by the time I got done skinning. She would hold a leg up and help roll him over. Good times!

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
thats a hell of a bear 24!!. and what a great storyThumbs Up you will never forget that adventure

- - - Updated - - -

ok. i still have a tag in my pocket but not for lack of shot opp's. i've passed on quite a few because i've had some people in camp that have shot some whoppers and i am worn out.
to tired to re-write the storys that are posted on another forum so i'll just do a copy and paste.
what a great year in bear camp!.
he's mean/ugly and stinks but so does the bear :
i've been trying to get this bear for about 7-8 years now. he's a very nomadic bear that has a large home range. over the years, his travel pattern was starting to emerge.he would make a cross country foray from the nearby crop fields and head across wide open cattle pastures/plowed fields to go to a very secluded river bottom.
we were traveling down a gravel road at sun-up when we seen where he crossed the road coming up from a muddy ditch.
i told Osky i know where he's going and got to get to the river crossing about 4 miles away.
being quite a bear hunter with years of expeirence, he thought i was pulling his leg......but i had a feeling.
4 miles as the crow flies but about 6-8 miles by roads/trails we got there just in time. we seen him coming across a WIDE-OPEN soybean field heading right for the spot he's crossed so many times before.
Osky bailed out and took off running to try to get there in time but the bear got there before he could.
knowing that there was only going to be a very short time for the shot, he set up and when the bear was just getting ready to cross the river, he shot and knocked the bear flat on its nose, not even a step. the shot was 437
yards and was incredible to watch through binos.

we never scaled him but he's most likely on the north side of 600#.
true beast of a bear and an old one which is rare for a farm country bear

this bear has kicked my hind-end for years and am glad he's finally down but it will also be a bit sad knowing he's no longer around to hunt.

ny of you read the story about how Bucksnbears and myself took the tremendous black bear 2 weeks ago. That story pales in grit, determination, and compassion as compared to what your about to read.Please read thru below the photos.
3 weeks or so ago a friend of our Bucksnbears contacted him concerning a young woman who worked up near fargo. This young woman wanted more than anything to go hunting as she did as a younger teen but with working nights to put herself thru college, no family money to help, it just wasn't to be. Until Bucks.. found out.
First thing Bucks.. did was offer up a bear hunt. She would accept. Next thing Bucks.. did was buy her non resident license, a couple of hundred dollars plus which she of course could not afford. Next on the list was bait, very good bait another 300.00 plus, Bucks..purchased without hesitation.
With things in motion Bucks next duty was to re-build his favorite stand for the young lady, it was probably overdue but he went the extra mile and then some. Full wood, expanded steps, and a roof. Now Bucks was ready for her.
The young lady came last friday afternoon. Checking out her rifle on the range, her scope fell apart. Bucksn.. handed over a favored .243, a bit lite but in the right hands it would have to do. Her hands were the right hands.
She waited out saturday morning, no bear showed. Ditto for saturday night, almost, a glimpse of a bear but not enough of a look to shoot. Sunday morning up early, again just a glimpse.
She was to head back sunday afternoon but decided to try one more evening. It would be a late run to get back home but Lord this girl was full of hope.
It happened at 7:11 Sunday evening coming in from the front right. The gun was quietly shouldered but waved like wheat in the wind as a calming voice whispered to her to be calm and wait, the bear was unaware.
As the bear, an incredibly beautiful chocolate with an astonishing white chest crest turned broadside near the bait the gun barked and the bear dropped instantly.
The bear was 382lbs dressed on the hook, live weight in the 480 range. Nicest thick brown coat one could ever imagine, and probably the happiest huntress you will ever see.

Top photo is Bucks..and the Huntress. Second photo is the friend who initiated it all.
The huge smile of the Huntress she seems to wear eternally, hope and faith she has no limit. You see this young lady was in a car accident as a teen and she is paralyzed from the waste down. She asks nothing from anyone working incredible hours to pay her way thru college. She is even trying to teach herself to walk again despite it all.
Since the hunt people who know of it are coming from all directions. The Huntress is not aware of it but the meat locker is taking care of the processing. There is an incredible Taxidermist from Trimble MO, Craig Simmons doing the rug pro bono. That rifle scope that failed will be replaced and i have a hunch a little bigger rifle will be under it. She will need it as there will always be room for her at Bucks.. camp and if I could be so lucky to have her, at mine as well. Bigger things will happen as well, all to hopefully be presented to her next summer at a gathering at Bucks... bear camp. (Party Time Dudes!)
I have now seen true love of life and how incredibly strong a frail person can be. I have also seen how truly big yet humble one man can be.
I could not be more proud to call someone my friend Bucks.. your incredible.
Osky

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_4976.JPG
I shot this big pig Thursday night. I burned a lot of gas this fall baiting bears. It was well worth it!

Nice bear!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93