Minnesota walleye poaching for vikings games

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/minnesota-walleye-poacher-guilty/?amp
zavodnik_walleye_bust_MDNR-scaled.jpg
I don't see any cheeks smdh

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. MN is full retard. Explain to me why a man can’t stack and store fish in his freezer? Not everyone has the freedom and ability to catch fish whenever they want. In my line of work, I have times of the year when all I do is work and times when things are slow. I preserve fish for those times when life doesn’t allow me to fish, but I still need to eat. That clown officer should be embarrassed by that stupid pose.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you imagine this law applying to pioneers trying to stay alive? Eat what you keep and don’t let things go to waste.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I’m not eating fish thawed out and laid out on a tarp for who knows how long. Clown show I tell ya............

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always thought that possession laws did not apply once you got to your residence! I know that I have possesed more northerns in my freezer at Metigoshe than a 2 day limit.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Game violations are obviously more important than protecting private businesses and stopping looting.

- - - Updated - - -

I've always thought that possession laws did not apply once you got to your residence! I know that I have possesed more northerns in my freezer at Metigoshe than a 2 day limit.

You’re thinking about possession limit. Possession limit is the total allowed during a given trip (meaning multiple days fishing or hunting away from home). There is no freezer limit.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
give one an education, a badge on their chest, a gun on their hip,

And then comes an attitude and out goes understanding and common sense. db

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
20220323_220806.jpg

Not saying it's a good rule but the rule is clear. The guy also has numerous other game violations.

If they were in the freezer, they were still edible until deputy doofus laid them out for a picture. Wanton waste?

Looks like everyone involved in this story is in the wrong.

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
View attachment 63780

Not saying it's a good rule but the rule is clear. The guy also has numerous other game violations.

If they were in the freezer, they were still edible until deputy doofus laid them out for a picture. Wanton waste?

ND of Minnetonka regs???

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So in Minnesota if you are on a weekend trip and catch a limit of walleyes on Friday night you can't go and catch another limit until those original are eaten/given away? Even if they're vac sealed and frozen? That's ridiculous.

I typically stand firmly behind LEOs of all kinds and find poaching egregious. But I'm having a really hard time here. I get it if the man was a repeat offender and he was breaking laws other places and this was a way to pinch him. That's fine, go get him I guess. But to stand there proud as a peacock over 100 lbs of wasted fish like that for something this ridiculous is embarrassing as far as I'm concerned.

I especially resent the "pure gluttony" comment the warden made. By the end of August each year I typically have close to 100 salmon in my freezer. It's called subsidence and it's completely legal everywhere except apparently your dumb state you f'n dolt. We're allowed to take a harvestable surplus for a reason. We eat seafood twice a week and are very generous with giving it away. If that makes me a glutton I guess so be it.

rapala_09

Honored Member

I thought the same thing. It wasn't this guys first infraction, and the law is clear even if it's stupid. also, " Deputy Doofus" ;:;rofl, seems like an idiot.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was told as a child that its ok to not follow stupid rules while also acknowledging the consequences of doing so.

Ive heard MN is considering lowering the daily limit from 6 to 4. While at the same time admitting it will do little to help fisheries because less than 10% of anglers actually catch 6 keepable walleyes on any given outing. MN sportsmen would cut off their nose to spite their face.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree with comments here,however as a minnsewta rez I also understand our state possesion limits on certain targeted species,keep in mind minnsewta's population...we have so many 3rd world trash heaps here,most haven't a clue of game laws or speak/read english,these folks keep everything as they do in they're home countries,load up they're car trunks etc,when it comes to walleyes and panfish folks double trippin,triple trippin by the 100's,it put's a dent on our brood stock,every summer I read reports of usually asians busted with 100's of walleye in they're vehicle,same with sunfish and crappies,it has gotten so bad on heavily fished lakes today due to fish population decline this summer minneswta has reduced sunfish daily limits to 5 fish,no possesion limits on 57 lakes so far,imposed strict slots for walleye and pike as well,common sense goes out the door,even folks vacationing from southern states can't help over harvesting our game fish when they get on a good bite,our CO's can't be everywhere,alot of public help is appreciated

Has any of you fished sunfish sitting on spawning beds? if not it doesn't take long to wipe out a complete colony of prime gills,one right after another..

I get pissed when my native friends tell me they netted/have a freezer full of walleyes just incase they're relatives has a wedding or birthday party that summer,this on lakes we sport fishermen can't keep one walleye or use live bait fishing walleyes on these lakes.

So in closing I doubt our human population will decline in the near future or at all,it's about conservation whether we agree with it or not our masses fail to abide by our game/fish laws.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't agree with the MN freezer law, but it was probably the best way to catch the guy...again. Not sure why they confiscated Salmon from him? I'm sure they had to thaw out the fish to count the fillets, but probably didn't need to dry them out on garbage bags for a hero shot unless it was for photo proof. Some guys just can't pump the brakes on hoarding fish as well. Somebody should have told him NFL season is over and he either over shot his estimate or needs more hungry friends.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
SD used to have a possession limit that included your freezer. Not sure if they do now? But I remember in the 90's our over zealous GW went through a guys freezer. Thawed out all his fillets and matched em up. This guy was a snow bird, and took a bunch of fish south with him for the winter. Now the reason they checked him is they would see him fishing ALL THE TIME. Multiple times a day. But unless they checked him they never knew if he was legal or not. They couldn't catch him on the water so they checked his freezer. I can't remember how many he had but it was A LOT!

So the funny part is this.... This old guy was waiting trial and still wanted to fish so they said, ok just don't keep any. He was caught again with over his limit. I guess the G.A.S. factor was kicking in good at this point in his life.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I finally got to read the article about the "big" bust. SMH....one of his previous offensives is having the wrong container....Huh?? Too many lines ...oh ok.

You know maybe his wife fishes too, doesn't she get to keep two limits in the freezer too? How about kids? Can they go fishing with their dad and keep their fish in his freezer where they're going to be fried up for games. And if your adult kids have grand kids....2 more limits each...see where this is going?? So they can't keep their fish at grandpas and have him cook them up on gameday? Hmmmmm??

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It happens all over When I lived in LaMoure. We had the meat fisherman that would go down to the Dam in the spring and catch there limit in the morning. Come back at noon. Then come back in the evening and do it again. The same 8 or 9 people were there everyday. The bite would last about 2 weeks and they were fishing it 3 times a day till the bite stopped. They kept every fish they caught. We had a Game Warden in town and it never stopped them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84