Too many deer

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Liberalism has very little to do do with the increase in deer populations. Suburban sprawl has more to do with the problem. As developers push further into previous rural areas it becomes difficult if not impossible to safely hunt deer.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Liberalism has very little to do do with the increase in deer populations. Suburban sprawl has more to do with the problem. As developers push further into previous rural areas it becomes difficult if not impossible to safely hunt deer.

Pure bs or you missed the point. Even in suburbs deer populations can be controlled. If I had been retired two years earlier I could have made $70 K in October only shooting deer in a large Eastern city. It hurt turning down that job. 300 Blackout silenced, head shots only. Shooting down from a cherry picker to avoid ricochet. City employees carry the nights shoot away in body bags. Liberals don't kill baby animals, they only kill baby people.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pure bs or you missed the point. Even in suburbs deer populations can be controlled. If I had been retired two years earlier I could have made $70 K in October only shooting deer in a large Eastern city. It hurt turning down that job. 300 Blackout silenced, head shots only. Shooting down from a cherry picker to avoid ricochet. City employees carry the nights shoot away in body bags. Liberals don't kill baby animals, they only kill baby people.

Thanks pg couldn’t have said it any better

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG, Yes targeted harvest by sharpshooters does occur in suburban parks where there is less likely hood of damage/injury to private citizens. This however does not significantly impact the overall size of the herds. They do this in the municipal parks where I come from. Meat is donated to the local food bank. Still does not put a significant dent in the population though. I stand by development of former rural areas as a greater cause.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG, Yes targeted harvest by sharpshooters does occur in suburban parks where there is less likely hood of damage/injury to private citizens. This however does not significantly impact the overall size of the herds. They do this in the municipal parks where I come from. Meat is donated to the local food bank. Still does not put a significant dent in the population though. I stand by development of former rural areas as a greater cause.
What you are failing to see orcus is that the deer population has got out of control over a long period of time. Multi generations have come to a decision that hunting is not for them, no one is encouraging the youth in these states to want to hunt. That is exactly what was said in the article that less people are even putting in for a tag now, so if it's not liberalism why are less people hunting now then a few generations ago? The fact that deer have less area doesn't have anything to do with less people putting in for a tag hence population of deer out of control.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Liberalism is the least of the reasons less people are hunting IMHO. ON OF THE REASONS? Sure. The main reason? Far from it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say there are an awful lot of reasons people have gravitated away from hunting. Access to private land, advent of pay-for-access, proliferation of hand-held electronics for kids, an overall anti-gun stance and policies of primarily liberal areas of the country, PETA and the likes position of animals are our friends instead of food. That's just to name a few as I am sure there are many more contributors to the problem. Are some of these more associated with liberals than conservatives? Absolutely, but I'd argue that others (access to private land) can be more attributable to conservative landowners (ND Lockout to just ID one of them). There is great plenty of credit to go around and if you only concentrate on one of the causes, you won't make a difference at all.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess we will see, same could be said with the elk population here is the Pembina gorge, land owners have been telling the g&f that the elk are over populated, ndgf dismiss the land owners for what reason its hard to speculate. But we will see with a over population of elk damage to farmers crops will this cause some to take the matter into thier own hands we have seen it before with the deer or see how Minnesota dealt with herds of elk over a decade ago with killing the whole lot of them.

As far as topic of the north eastern part of this country which is what the article is talking about is full liberals noone can disagree with that, i suppose one can but then you would in my opinion be in denial about the facts. The deer didn't just one day decide to have triplets increasing the herd over a year. This has been caused by lack of people not wanting to hunt anymore it's that simple.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
All good points Allen. and the main reason I don't want North Dakota to turn into Texas. I get a 404 message and can't see the article Lunker posted. I read Orcus response and assumed we were only talking suburbs.

Orcas I have no idea what the total deer population is in large eastern cities. The contractor ( contracted with three cities) only needed someone for one city and only for October. He said they removed 900 to 1000 each fall from each city. With no knowledge of the total population Im not sure if that had an impact, but it sure had to slow it down. It would have been like a high fence hunt, but since it was a job and no one pretended it was a sport made it palatable. The contractor said one city paid a flat $200 per deer shoot as many as you can.

Last edited:

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen has good points may I also add time to go hunting, fewer people have the time to go hunting, we are not all farmers. Another is cost. A friend pointed out is is far less costly to buy food than to go out and kill and process it. Calculate the per pound cost of your fish and see whether it is cheaper to buy. Don't forget to include the cost of that sparkly boat.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In addition to the loss of land access that is readily open to the public, and the locking of access on an increasing amount of private land, the willingness to knock on a door for permission or to teach this simple act to new hunters seem to be a lost art. “NO hunting signs” don’t necessarily equate to NO hunting, but there are fewer doors to knock on for sure.

The widespread leasing of land and monetization of hunting by guides and outfitters (every Tom, Dick, and Harry these days) is squashing more opportunities to hunt than anything IMO. I don’t blame someone for making a dollar when they can, but make no mistake that it is stealing opportunities from many by creating expensive opportunities for a few.

The list that is making hunting less appealing by the day is a long one and Allen picked out some of the most recognizable causes. Hunting is one of just many activities and pastimes and ways of life that are being slowly squeezed out of existence - but hey…at least men can finally whip their dick out in a public women’s bathroom without any ramifications as long as they feel like they should be allowed to do it.

;:;banghead

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen has good points may I also add time to go hunting, fewer people have the time to go hunting, we are not all farmers. Another is cost. A friend pointed out is is far less costly to buy food than to go out and kill and process it. Calculate the per pound cost of your fish and see whether it is cheaper to buy. Don't forget to include the cost of that sparkly boat.

Hah, walleye is now more expensive than prime rib! A couple weeks ago I went to New Town to take my 84 yr old stepfather out fishing. $250 in diesel, $100 in gas for the Toon, another $100 in fishing tackle, ice and other supplies (seriously, $4 a spinner at the New Town Marina = ouch), all to catch 25 walleyes. They were pretty nice fish, but still. I didn't weigh the filets, but let's say we got 12.5 lbs of edible walleye that makes the value of the weekend's catch roughly $450/12.5 or $36 a pound.

As far as time, it sure seems that even the kids nowadays have something going on. My 16 yr old son has "Captain's Practice" three times a week this summer for Cross Country, Sanford Power (athletic training) four days a week, Krav Maga another two days a week, and he shoots Sporting Clays with me in a league one evening a week.

The 14 yr old daughter has the same Sanford Power and Krav Maga but instead of Cross Country she has open gym for Volleyball four days a week. At somewhat seemingly random times.

Yep, there's no real break in school or life's activities during the summer around here.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is true, however if one is purchasing this sparkly boat, and the Gloomis for the ability to feed his family, its all but lost.
My boat time has almost zero to do with a meal.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76