Minnkota Repairs DYI

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of you have taken apart the lower end of a minnkota trolling motor to repair the brushes or bearings? My motor is running pretty loud and it sounds like a bearing is going out. Seems simple enough to repair it myself. Has anyone done it before?

Wallykiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of you have taken apart the lower end of a minnkota trolling motor to repair the brushes or bearings? My motor is running pretty loud and it sounds like a bearing is going out. Seems simple enough to repair it myself. Has anyone done it before?
I had my terrova apart a couple of years ago for a brush change. The toughest part I remember was getting the motor leads to land correctly around the corner and up the shaft. Make sure you have new seals or your efforts will be for nothing
1683053925506.jpeg

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
getting the magnets to go onto the shaft whilst putting everything together made me want to pull my hair out!!

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had my terrova apart a couple of years ago for a brush change. The toughest part I remember was getting the motor leads to land correctly around the corner and up the shaft. Make sure you have new seals or your efforts will be for nothing
1683053925506.jpeg
Mine looks about the same! Lots of corrosion and the bearing was locked up pretty bad. Going to need a wholesale cleaning and replacement parts. Had to buy a bearing puller to get it off. Hoping I put it all together right and that it seals back up. Lower end kit was only $37 so not too bad.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is there anyway to clean the rotor/winding or is that not needed?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 155
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88