Minnkota Trolling Motor

Mr. Pike

Was out this weekend and I noticed that I couldn't steer my older Minnkota Power Drive trolling motor with the foot pedal. It would still throttle up though, but I had to turn the motor by hand if I want to go in a certain direction. Do you think it could be the foot pedal or the power board in the motor? Here's a place that tests the pedals.

https://motorclinic.com/

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am guessing if it's a really old model, you have simply worn out the contact strips in the foot pedal. I've seen it done.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually, now that I think about it, it was the throttle that wore out on my old PD.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check and clean the contacts where the foot pedal plugs into the trolling motor. When I ran that unit and would loose my steering, that was the problem.

Mr. Pike

According to this bloke, you're not suppose to wrap the cord around the foot pedal when you store it. I've been doing this for years.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After cleaning and trying another foot pedal as suggested, consider it may be the steering motor. Had one go out on an old Terrova and the thrust worked fine but obviously wouldn't steer. Relatively inexpensive part. Repair was a pain but manageable.

Mr. Pike

It's completely dead. Tried cleaning the battery connections and bought a new fuse for it. Nothing. It's a 2006 model. Time for a new one.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really, really wish I could convert you to an Ulterra, but those SOB's are basically a rental agreement rather than a buy and forget it operation.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a foot pedal control some where for a 2008 that I dont use after changing to remote. LB

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious why you say that?
With all the Minnkotas I've owned before the Ulterra, I have had two trips to the repair shop for a PowerDrive that kept starting on fire. Now I run an Ulterra and you can pretty much assure yourself after the "newness" wears off that you will be into the repair shop annually for something that will cost around $450. Mine is a 2016 model and it's been in the shop 4 times in the past 5 years. Granted, one of those was operator error when the boy rammed it into the trailer, but still...

The Ulterra gets high grades from me with regard to features, but it's a touchy biatch.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all the Minnkotas I've owned before the Ulterra, I have had two trips to the repair shop for a PowerDrive that kept starting on fire. Now I run an Ulterra and you can pretty much assure yourself after the "newness" wears off that you will be into the repair shop annually for something that will cost around $450. Mine is a 2016 model and it's been in the shop 4 times in the past 5 years. Granted, one of those was operator error when the boy rammed it into the trailer, but still...

The Ulterra gets high grades from me with regard to features, but it's a touchy biatch.
Maybe got a lemon? I have a 2015 and so far zero issues.........and now I've done it lol

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe got a lemon? I have a 2015 and so far zero issues.........and now I've done it lol
Not a lemon. I know two people that have sold their Ulterras, due to constant problems with them. One had a board go out this spring and on Memorial day the stow belt broke. The other person had a board problem. Both have gone to Terrovas. My Vantage is back in the shop for a second time. Last August and now. Minnkota doesn't seem to have luck with the auto stowing featured motors.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84