Minnkota Trolling Motor

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ran that exact motor for 2 years and my buddy for 1 year and it is a great motor. Only thing is I wish I would have just ponied up the extra cash to get spot lock. You can add it on that motor for about $500

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe got a lemon? I have a 2015 and so far zero issues.........and now I've done it lol

Nah, not so much a lemon as much as hard use. I use it on both the Toon and my Lund, so it gets a ton of use each year. Along with that it gets a little abuse. I have to store it one way on the Lund, and the other way on the Toon. Otherwise, it gets obstructed on the deploy and store by the middle tube on the Toon and comes up and tags the bow of the boat when stored the other way. And, a couple of times I've run it into the garage door ceiling tracks when trying to deploy it in the garage for maintenance, etc.

I think my biggest complaint on the Ulterra is how sensitive it is to simple dust. If I drive down a dusty gravel road (New John's in particular) enough dust coats the release and locking mechanism to where it won't deploy/store. My solution for this is to carry a bottle of soapy water to "lubricate" it by simply spraying down the lock/release. It can't be good for it to keep getting stuck on the stow/deploy and is probably what bends the pins in the drive head, or in the most recent case of mine...it broke the belt.

Next biggest complaint is the non-bluetooth version I have is that the remote and it have trouble staying in touch. There are a lot of times I will have to push a button 3-6 times to get the change in speed or direction I want even with little to no obstructions between the two. I think the next time it goes in for repair I am going to upgrade it to the bluetooth head, it's a little over $500 to do it.

The other thing that kills me with Minnkota is the sheer number of functionally different remotes. Not sure why there isn't just one damn Ipilot remote for all the Ulterras. I was helping a buddy get acquainted with his boat this spring and was floored at how different his remote is compared to mine. Hell, a lot of his buttons aren't even labeled!

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That why I stick with little bit older unit really tried of going to college to run this shit for sure.

Mr. Pike

Well I went and bought a new Minnkota Power Drive 55 lb thrust motor at Scheels. Came with an on board battery charger. When I was taking the wiring harness apart to put on the new motor, I noticed the negative lead was a little loose. Put some alligator clips directly on the wires and it turns out there was nothing wrong with it. My brother in law is here from Utah, so I sold the old motor to him for a hundred bucks.

Mr. Pike

"Honey, I tried everything. I even asked people on the forums. Couldn't be fixed, had to get a new one."
I think I want a new outboard now. Was looking at a Mercury 60 HP 4 stroke for about 10 grand. Have a 50 hp 2 stroke on it now. The 4 stroke would be about 70 pounds heavier. Not sure if 10 HP more would increase the speed of the boat. Top speed is about 25 mph now.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they were rated at 50 hpish haha my 1985 16ft mr pike really enjoyed the updated 60hp 4 stroke mercury on the back cruises 33-34 with two guys and gear have seen 38 downstream on the missouri fwiw. only downside is if it is flat calm to get it below 2.2mph you need to put out a bag or a bucket or run the trolling motor in reverse.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79