Montana Boat Registration

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure how many MT people we have on here but figured I'd throw it out there. Have a relative who lives in MT looking at buying a boat in ND from a private party. Any experience with what he'll need to do to register it in MT? It looks like they have an online system but he's not very technologically savvy (in his 70s). Do they title boats/trailers there? I know in ND you just get the G&F registration card and that's all that is needed.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're going to need the Vin off the trailer and the numbers off the motors too. Should be it maybe I'm wrong.

EZZIE

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have him contact his county seat, ask them what he needs to do. I licensed a new boat there and I just needed the title or MSO. But I'm a nonres of Montana...

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like it kind of became a pain. He went to their county courthouse prior to buying the boat and was told a notarized bill of sale was what was needed (even had a sticky note written by the gal there). Came here, bought the boat, got the bill of sale notarized at a bank, goes back to his courthouse and other gal sitting next to original gal says the notary signed the form wrong and he'll also have to go through a few other steps with taking it to the police department to verify VINs to obtain a title. Gotta love government being a pain in the rear for well meaning people.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A little late, but two boats ago, I sold one that went to MT. I have given the guy a signed bill of sale and all the original manufactures certificates and MSOs. when he went to register it he ended up having to send the bill of sale back and I had to get it notarized. never heard anything back after that so I assume a notarized bill of sale is the ticket.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like it kind of became a pain. He went to their county courthouse prior to buying the boat and was told a notarized bill of sale was what was needed (even had a sticky note written by the gal there). Came here, bought the boat, got the bill of sale notarized at a bank, goes back to his courthouse and other gal sitting next to original gal says the notary signed the form wrong and he'll also have to go through a few other steps with taking it to the police department to verify VINs to obtain a title. Gotta love government being a pain in the rear for well meaning people.
How dare you question the government and their employees, they know what is best for you so sit down, shut up, and pay their fees. They are the experts at what they do but don't take my word for it ask them and they will tell you themselves that they are smarter than anyone else.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How dare you question the government and their employees, they know what is best for you so sit down, shut up, and pay their fees. They are the experts at what they do but don't take my word for it ask them and they will tell you themselves that they are smarter than anyone else.
A buddy had a golf cart that he no longer wanted/needed. He offered it to me for the lake, told me it needs batteries, you buy them, it works, its yours. So I did.
The marina requires it to be licensed and somewhat street legal. I go to register it, tell them at the DOT it was free, so I will not be paying any taxes on it. Turns out that is not an option, as anything with value needs to be taxed. I had to go to a car dealership, have them appraise the golf cart and pay 5% on what they valued it at...

Government is against the very people supporting it, its so infuriating, but can not be changed for some reason.

Look at the repeal property tax, and the load of fools against it...

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy had a golf cart that he no longer wanted/needed. He offered it to me for the lake, told me it needs batteries, you buy them, it works, its yours. So I did.
The marina requires it to be licensed and somewhat street legal. I go to register it, tell them at the DOT it was free, so I will not be paying any taxes on it. Turns out that is not an option, as anything with value needs to be taxed. I had to go to a car dealership, have them appraise the golf cart and pay 5% on what they valued it at...

Government is against the very people supporting it, its so infuriating, but can not be changed for some reason.

Look at the repeal property tax, and the load of fools against it...
I would have told her the carts value was the cost of the batteries as the original owner was discarding it.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to have a poster on here...my damn memory forgets his name...haha...but it was believed he like to tow his boat without a trailer. ...rofl... Damn..my memory sucks...help me out here fellas..

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have told her the carts value was the cost of the batteries as the original owner was discarding it.
8 batteries came in at just shy of $1,600, I had the car lot value it at $500, so I ended up paying $25 in tax.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 64
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 20