Moose Sightings Please

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know there is a 'sticky' in the big game hunter forum, but just wanted to put it out there. A few of us lucky guys have a tag (M10 any moose for me) and would appreciate any sightings to help us out. For those out there in M10, I have seen 2 cows and a small bull near Belden on Hwy 8 south of Stanley, one small bull just north of the curve near Whiteshield, 2 cows south of Ross on 86th, 2 cows on 43rd street and Highway 8 just north of 8/23 intersection, one decent bull north of Minot 2 miles west on the Grano road. All of these have been sighted in the last month. Thanks again to any help we can get.

GSP

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a big cow about a mile South and a 1/2 mile East of Minot AFB. No calf

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
M10 is easy just drive to sherwood turn west three miles south of town drive four miles then drive in circles fill tag go home the end.

M10 is where I filled my tag and where I've helped on four other moose and that area has ended up producing 4 of the 5 moose. The best thing you can do is seek out guys in the area who have cow tags then work out a system where if you see a cow you call them and if they see a bull in your size range they call you. This generally only works for the first weekend because after that point most of the cow hunters are done but while they are there they are your best source of up to the minute info.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best thing you can do is seek out guys in the area who have cow tags then work out a system where if you see a cow you call them and if they see a bull in your size range they call you. This generally only works for the first weekend because after that point most of the cow hunters are done but while they are there they are your best source of up to the minute info.

Solid advice!!! Friday my cow hunt became secondary to a bull hunt for a friend after spotting a good one. Tremendous bull, tremendous experience that I can't wait to share when the time is right!!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
PM me your number, I'll be out and about all over M10 for the next few weeks, I'll send you pics and locations of anything I see

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh ND moose hunting. Just drive around and shoot one standing in the middle of a grain field. Not really hunting at all... Anyways, my wife's uncle has some land on the north side of Sakakawea with some moose and I think he wants them shot. The damn things keep destroying his ground blinds and tipping over feeders.... Shoot me a pm with some contact info and I'll see if he still has them on his property.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Oh ND moose hunting. Just drive around and shoot one standing in the middle of a grain field. Not really hunting at all... Anyways, my wife's uncle has some land on the north side of Sakakawea with some moose and I think he wants them shot. The damn things keep destroying his ground blinds and tipping over feeders.... Shoot me a pm with some contact info and I'll see if he still has them on his property.

Fairly common for landowners to be helpful. Moose can cause a lot of damage. Other than driving around and visiting with people I don't know of any other way to hunt moose on the prairie. It's not like there are so many that you can just start walking some bush and hope to see one. Unfortunately for the moose, once you find one they are fairly easy to shoot. Typically they are not scared of much, they don't see very well, and with ample roads on the prairie it's usually "find one you want to shoot, and then find a way to get close enough to shoot."

Reminder, they are a big animal, have a plan of some help to clean and load after shooting. The best part of shooting a moose is that they are a very good eating animal (and a lot of eating) if taken care of properly.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Those landowners up north really like moose hunters and may even help you load it with a tractor if you take one off their land. If you do see a big one don't say it on here or someone else may go take it!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I had to ask to go after mine because she was in standing sunflowers. At first the lady was saying no till I mentioned the fact that it was a hot cow with four bulls working her....at that point her words came instantly and we're "shoot that bitch .....fast"! Within a matter of a couple of minutes of knocking her down an hour and two miles latter I had four different truck loads of farmers out in the wheat stubble with me. With a quick call from one of them 20 mins later an oilfield crane truck showed up and made for the easiest gutting and loading of a moose you will ever see. Sure glade I had stocked up on twentys just in case somthing like that happend!

That's one other good reason to be in contact with other hunters is they normally like to come over and check out the moose and are generally more then willing to help with loading it up as long as you didn't drop it in a slough. We ended up with large amounts of help on all five moose I've been with on and helped on a half dozen more for other guys on the same hunts.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You never see "Loader Tractor" or 20'+ flatbed trailer w/8500# winch and 1000' of cable/rope on the gear list for moose, elk, or buffalo hunts. However, those who've been fortunate enough to be able to use them for any/all of the above realize they're an essential piece of gear given the opportunity.

Good luck to all the moose hunters, and, as RE said, moose make for magnificent eating.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flatbed trailer is definitely a godsend when loading. That extra foot and a half closer to the ground makes a world of difference!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84