motorguide xi5 vs. terrova

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
So i have been running lowrance/eagle and minn-kota for better part of 20 years, with all the new gadgetry out there has anyone been running the motorguide that has the similar setup as the terrova with i-pilot/ilink? Thought about switching over to birds, but have had to many guys that i trust when it comes to electronics tell me to stick with lowrance. So if you are running the xi5 with the link to lowrance lets hear what you think. good bad or otherwise.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome set up.

the gateway kit should be against the law....

only problem is sometimes cruze control freaks out and goes to 100% output.

I have owned Terrova and Foretrex but the xi5 is too notch IMHO
all of my graphs indicate what the xi5 is doing and I can control it with any graph or remote or foot pedal.

other day it was windy and my buddy used the foot pedal while I used the remote at the same time.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have mine hooked to my Lowrance yet, but on the test run this past weekend I did notice the motor was a lot quieter, the steering is super-fast, the the anchor mode is way more accurate (and the jog feature while in anchor mode is just pure awesomeness).

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
whats the going rate on a used 80lbs i-pilot terrova

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking at the xi5 when I upgrade but that's a ways away. I'm looking forward to what people have to say about them

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I've always thought that the ipilot/link was the way to go. But the more I hear, the more I wonder. Run Lowrance atm so would be nice to hear that motorguide is better or at least equal.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I still don't see many xi5's around, but I do continue to hear good things. Particularly with the anchor mode.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still like mine,

IMG_2997.jpg

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love to have a new electric motor just for the anchor feature, but my 80 lb autopilot is still working great after 9 seasons. I just cant justify ponying up more cash for a new motor when mine works. What would my autopilot be worth? Haha

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love to have a new electric motor just for the anchor feature, but my 80 lb autopilot is still working great after 9 seasons. I just cant justify ponying up more cash for a new motor when mine works. What would my autopilot be worth? Haha
If its in good shap a lot of places take trade ins. I was actually suprised what Scheels gave the ole man on a trade in. Cant remember the exact price but was much better than expected. Worth checking out. There is always bismanonline.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still don't see many xi5's around, but I do continue to hear good things. Particularly with the anchor mode.

MinnKota's anchor lock SUCKS! Way too slow to react. The guys we fish against in tourneys who have the xi5's stay love the anchor lock. And when fishing by them you'll see them sitting right on the spot they set it for. Meanwhile all of us MinnKota owners are all over the place when on anchor lock.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
MinnKota's anchor lock SUCKS! Way too slow to react. The guys we fish against in tourneys who have the xi5's stay love the anchor lock. And when fishing by them you'll see them sitting right on the spot they set it for. Meanwhile all of us MinnKota owners are all over the place when on anchor lock.

what I don't understand is why MK doesn't offer firmware upgrades - like they haven't/can't figure out a better algorithm in 10 years?

Seems easy enough - a guy sends in the board - gets upgraded for $100 or some such - and MK keeps you in their product line.

As it is they are throwing dedicated MK fans under the bus and I for one am getting tired of it. No improvements in capability, no jogging, etc. I might make the switch away from MK this year too.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member

not to mention the cruise control...

i called their customer service after getting my first terrova with cruise and explained to them that when set at 1.3, it would wait to kick on until it got below .7, then take you up to 1.6 b4 backing off... terrible...

was told that that was within their specs.?. could just as well break that knob off...

hogslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year I debated on a terrova/I-pilot and an XI5 and I was torn because I've always been a minnkota guy and had real good luck with them. I decided to go with the XI5 with the gateway kit to my HDS 7 gen 2 touch unit on the dash. Now I don't even know why I debated it. The terrova is a turd compared to the XI5. I love it. After fishing out of my boat, my brother in law is now thinking about selling his terrova for an XI5. Don't be afraid to pull the trigger on one. I think it won't be long and we'll be seeing more and more of them on the water.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had my terovva on the classifieds for several days, not so much as a sniff. I hope all of us don't try to sell ours all at once, it will be a bloodbath. My price is best offer by the way.��

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone else had a problem starting a recorded route. I have tried multiple times and can not figure out why it will take me to the starting point and sit there. Not impressed with the bells and whistles of the terrova. The basic functions are fine, just everything else needs some improving.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75