Must have Pontoon accessories

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll go ahead and nominate myself for head official. I'll even bring my whistle.

I have roller trailer on my fishing boat - shit the thing can be 90 degree angle to the trailer (river currrent on max) and it will load itself without my eyes open. My old bunk was the same way.

two bunks on a pontoon trailer that are 16 inches wide -- if you dont hit within that 16inches you overun the bunks.

- - - Updated - - -

go to swan creek any time next summer and I got a 100 you don’t load any faster than any pontoon. Just drive it on hook it up and go. It’s no different than boat bunks. My kid when he was 10 was loading the pontoon with no problem. My friend who guides had his 13 year old load the pontoon every day all summer. I don’t know what hard about driving it on bunks. It has guides that makes it impossible to mess up.

Here is a suggestion to the the author of this thread -- boom. My buddy does not have guides and its a bennington....

- - - Updated - - -

I have never had guides on my fishing boats.

- - - Updated - - -

not needed

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no issues with a bunk trailer, in current, at fox island, on the 4th of July, with a few buschies in me. Not sure where the dick measuring contest started, but you must be taking sign ups.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a 22' Bennington and I'll be the first to admit that I sucked at loading it, EVEN WITH GUIDES. As soon as I had a side wind I just couldn't figure it out..... I can land my boats like a boss though, somedays ;)

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a bunk trailer and have never had an issue loading the toon. Easy peasy. I would second a drift sock, however, I hate back trolling. I hook mine to the center eyelet on the front and let it run between the tubes. Trolling forward the sock slows it down enough I can run jigs.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've had 2 toons, the last a 22' tri... only went back to a boat cuz i fish sak almost exclusively, and the wind is blowing 10 at 5 am and only goes up from there... i traded cuz i just couldn't slow down enough to fish the way i wanted to (jigging, rigging, or spinning speeds at anything over 15 mph with big lake waves)...

fwiw, i have 2 of the biggest digger anchors, and they wouldn't hold in winds over 10 mph with a 5 to 1 rope length ratio... if you go off the 2 front corners anchored into the wind, it would sway enough to loosen one of them up and the other couldn't hold it... a short rope and chain would probably work better i think but was too heavy for me to jack around...

a 112 will pull you most of the time - well it would on my 22'...

at least 2 of the biggest drift socks you can find will usually keep you fishing if a side drift works...

if using a bow mount electric, the biggest batteries you can fit...

loading is a breeze for any good operator - gotta go with kurt on that 1... like anything else, the learning curve will be short and steep if you do it enough, but i used to load in rolling 3 footers a lot without any issues - just couldn't fish the way i wanted to in them...

the inner guides are awesome, and if you hit 1 hard, you're only gonna bugger up the inner side of of a tube no one ever sees anyway - not like a gouge out of glass or paint on a gunnel...

as far as things to give him - give time instead of trinkets if you can... the older you get, the more important that becomes...

hope you guys make some memories on it...

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the Pacific I use a 6' military surplus parachute to hold my 22' Seaswirl.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys, all very helpful. Time is what he wants most, why he went so big so all of us can be on it with him. Just looking for something to put the finishing touches on it. Boat hook and bumpers will probably be near the top of the list.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
He could spruce up Nana for those warm days on the toon:

images.jpeg

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd vote for an unloading/loading ramp that fits between the tunes (won't work with tritoon) just under the floor. You can beach that beast, anchor to shore and pull the ramp out to unload passengers, atvs and side by sides. That would be my first accessory. Heck a 27 footer would carry my side by side like a dream and I'd load it up and move it out. Have fun.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great topic. We're looking at getting a pontoon this spring as well. I was thinking a fishing boat and the wife was thinking pontoon. Looks like we're getting a fishing pontoon. Should be a good summer on Oahe.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great topic. We're looking at getting a pontoon this spring as well. I was thinking a fishing boat and the wife was thinking pontoon. Looks like we're getting a fishing pontoon. Should be a good summer on Oahe.

Go with a minimum of 150 hp. That way you will be able to pull tubes as well, and the longer commutes (Beaver to Winona, etc) won't be excessive time consumers. I have a 150 on a Southbay tritoon and with a top speed of around 32 mph, it gets to be a long haul when needing to go 10 miles, or so.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

mid looking I would check out the angler quest toons. They look really impressive I know a couple guides using them and they like them

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Also, if you can avoid carpet, you will be a much happier Toon owner. Not sure why they do it, but they tend to put woven carpet on the Toons. If you put a hook in it, you stand a really good chance of unraveling some of your carpet. Dumbest effing thing ever!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 151
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88