Nanoplastics in water bottles

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I lived in Grand Forks, I had an under the counter water filter to remove the eye-stinging level of chlorine they use over there to treat their water. It worked too well, within a few months the line going to the sink with the chlorine removed was covered on the inside with a nice pink slime.

There are lots of things a person can do to water in trying to change the taste or its characteristics. Filtration, distillation, reverse osmosis, cation exchange (softeners) and deionization. All have their place in the world as well as things they should not be used for. For example, a person really shouldn't drink distilled or deionized water as it can mess with your electrolytes.
And distilled water actually does not quench your thirst, it seemed to give me even worse cotton mouth and had a metallic like taste. Nddot used to require all testing to be used with distilled water and sometimes that was all the water I had.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't drink water. Shits gross. I have a mainline of diet coke patched into me.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member

A single tea bag can dump nearly 12 billion microplastics into your drink — here’s how to avoid that​

What are the most common ways to prepare tea?

Today, teas are either prepared by steeping tea bags in hot water or pouring hot water over loose tea leaves.

Tea bags are bleached paper or food-grade plastic bags that hold small tea leaf particles. This packaging is convenient and extends the shelf life of this beverage, but in turn, reduces the freshness of the tea. Additionally, while steeping in a bag, the tea particles don’t have a lot of room to expand as they absorb water and release little flavor and nutrients.

When you pour hot water over loose tea leaves, the leaves absorb the water and expand.

And you get what you pay for. Tea bags tend to be cheaper because they’re lower quality. But even though loose-leaf teas are more expensive, they can still be affordable: A $14 bag of loose tea leaves, which can make 40 cups, will cost you only 35 cents per cup.

Why you should care about how your tea is made

The biggest difference between tea bags and loose-leaf teas is the safety concerns — while tea provides health benefits, toxins and microplastics may be hiding in tea bags.

One study found toxic contamination by heavy metals like lead and aluminum in most — though not all — of the tea bags sampled. This study notes that heavy metals can lead to various health issues.

The less-studied issue with tea bags is microplastics. Most tea bags are made from plastic — either nylon or polyethylene terephthalate (PET). Just one plastic tea bag can release 11.6 billion microplastics into a cup of tea, according to research from McGill University.

These tiny plastic particles are proving to be a big issue, mainly because they’re virtually everywhere and removing them from our environment is a complex issue. “We don’t know if those have bad health effects on people or animals. We just have a high confidence that they’re there,” said chemist Christopher Zangmeister.

The plastics in tea bags aren’t recyclable or compostable, so these small bags end up in our overwhelmed landfills. And considering that people in tea-loving countries like the U.K. are drinking 60 billion cups a year, this is a major waste issue.

Loose tea leaves can offer a relaxing cup of tea with higher concentrations of healthy nutrients — sans plastic. And without plastic packaging, tea leaves are compostable and biodegradable, breaking down quickly and naturally into nutrients that support healthy soil.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I lived in Grand Forks, I had an under the counter water filter to remove the eye-stinging level of chlorine they use over there to treat their water. It worked too well, within a few months the line going to the sink with the chlorine removed was covered on the inside with a nice pink slime.

There are lots of things a person can do to water in trying to change the taste or its characteristics. Filtration, distillation, reverse osmosis, cation exchange (softeners) and deionization. All have their place in the world as well as things they should not be used for. For example, a person really shouldn't drink distilled or deionized water as it can mess with your electrolytes.
Zero water filter/pitchers are deionizing filters. Always figured there was a gimmick to them. After some research found out that exactly what they are to get the zero on a tds meter.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zero water filter/pitchers are deionizing filters. Always figured there was a gimmick to them. After some research found out that exactly what they are to get the zero on a tds meter.

I have seen those commercials with the TDS meters, and just cringed. To get to deionized water, you need to use something that can measure electrical resistance. You need to be something north of 18 mega-ohm of resistance to claim the water is deionized.

That's not easy to do, and I am pretty sure no pitcher filtration system can do that. At least, not with lab-quality instrumentation.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Note, the deionized water system I used at a research grade laboratory reached 18.9 mega-ohms of resistance. That system required distilled water as a source and still cost over $2k back in 1998. I would get about 50 gallons of deionized water before I changed the just under $400 filters.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my RO water, and my plants do also... Dont know why, but if I drink too much tap water now, it starts to make me feel crappy. I do add crushed coral calcium to my water bottle that I drink out of to add some minerals back into the water, makes it taste better imo.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Safe to assume many of us are already at least 5% plastic, and if we were really concerned about it we'd consume less from the glass and aluminum vessels.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to point out something obvious to all you tinfoil idiots. You all gave thumbs up to things like drinking from the well and garden hose when we were young but now we are being poisoned because this article says so and right off the bat you all think they govt is poisoning us again. How many contaminates do you think came from that hose after laying in the sun for a couple days. Do all of you walk around looking over your shoulder. Grum, you pull the shit deeper out your ass then even lunk does

grumster

★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm going to point out something obvious to all you tinfoil idiots. You all gave thumbs up to things like drinking from the well and garden hose when we were young but now we are being poisoned because this article says so and right off the bat you all think they govt is poisoning us again. How many contaminates do you think came from that hose after laying in the sun for a couple days. Do all of you walk around looking over your shoulder. Grum, you pull the shit deeper out your ass then even lunk does

You’re probably due for a booster..

Last edited:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some people go all bizzerk when a general conversation takes place.....I believe this thread is just about drinking water..drinking what's best for us...won't stop me from taking a swig of a garden hose every now end then..won't stop me from drinking bottled water either. But I guess we are all tinfoil idiots according to Watson.....pot calling kettle black?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some people go all bizzerk when a general conversation takes place.....I believe this thread is just about drinking water..drinking what's best for us...won't stop me from taking a swig of a garden hose every now end then..won't stop me from drinking bottled water either. But I guess we are all tinfoil idiots according to Watson.....pot calling kettle
ole watson sure has a man crush on ole lunk doesn't he, it's one thing to have tds but it's completely creepy to have LDS. Eesh!!!

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
He pointed out the irony/hypocrisy/paranoia not exactly "triggered". I'm guilty of supporting drinking out of the garden hose and still could see he had a valid point

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
He pointed out the irony/hypocrisy/paranoia not exactly "triggered". I'm guilty of supporting drinking out of the garden hose and still could see he had a valid point
Where is the irony etc talking about drinking water? I don't recall anybody saying they wouldn't drink from a garden hose or well...was a conversation on processed water which a guy could argue may be more unhealthy then hose/well. I would say he was triggered..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88