ND Deer Lottery

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't ever remember it being the 4th, but I do remember going to the NDGF area at the State Fair and looking to see who all got drawn. They had those old school paper printouts. Was one of the better days of the year. Hit the fair and check for tags.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
My emails show

2014 - lottery was done on 8/4
2013 - lottery was done on 7/31
2012 - lottery was done on 7/16
2011 - Lottery was done on 7/7

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My emails show

2014 - lottery was done on 8/4
2013 - lottery was done on 7/31
2012 - lottery was done on 7/16
2011 - Lottery was done on 7/7

That averages about a drawing 9 days later every year and at that rate in 2024 we wont get results until Nov 2. :;:thumbsup

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
That averages about a drawing 9 days later every year and at that rate in 2024 we wont get results until Nov 2. :;:thumbsup

I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't that just be awesome to find out the results right before the season opened!

- - - Updated - - -

You should send that to them and ask what's going on.

Done.

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
Email sent as well. This is ridiculous. each year....... worse and worse. Yet, paper applications keep lessening... I simply don't understand their logic.... or lack thereof.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
SD does not take money unless you draw. Thats how it should be and we should know with in a week or two from now

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's the response I got

Hello bckhntr, thank you for your email. The delay between 2011-12 was due to the fact we now have to type in all the landowner applications before the lottery can be held. In the past we deducted an estimated number of landowner permits and could run the lottery right away, and type in the landowner’s later. Invariably permits went unissued because we had to withhold enough to cover gratis that would come in late.

Now we force the landowners to abide by the same June deadline as the regular lottery and we know exactly how many landowner tags to pull out. Although this does result in us having the lottery later, it allows us to make the maximum number of deer tags available to lottery applicants.

The break between 2013-14 was due to the fact the Driver’s license started being required for all resident applications and many people didn’t realize this and left it blank so we had to get driver’s license numbers from them.

I’m hoping there will not be any more delays, but we are not going to be able to run the lottery any earlier than the end of July.

This year we are on track to have the lottery run by next week. This should be a similar timeframe in the years to come.

Sincerely,

Randy Meissner
Licensing Manager
ND Game & Fish Department
100 N Bismarck Expressway
Bismarck, ND 58501-5095
Phone (701) 328-6336
Fax (701) 328-6374
rmeissner@nd.gov
http://gf.nd.gov/

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
Response that I got from the GnF:

We are on track to have the lottery the end of July, results available to the public the first week in August, the same as the last two years. The reason why we have the lottery 4 weeks later than historically is because we need to type in every single paper gratis application, along with all land descriptions before the lottery can be held. Years ago we could have the lottery and do the gratis applications later. This is a good thing for lottery applicants as it ensures we can have the maximum number of deer licenses in the lottery. Before we had to hold back enough to handle all the gratis requests that waited until the last minute and many licenses went unissued that could have been in the lottery to begin with.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
So we can blame the land owners for the delay? :;:
Why can't they hire some temps to do the typing to speed up the process? 4 weeks is a long time to type up gratis applications...kind of sounds like bs excuse.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So we can blame the land owners for the delay? :;:
Why can't they hire some temps to do the typing to speed up the process? 4 weeks is a long time to type up gratis applications...kind of sounds like bs excuse.

Are you that unfamiliar with government? :D

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why wouldn't they move the deadline for the gratis application to Feb 1st and solve the problem ? I think KDM nailed it on post # 6

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
d1323247937c8db2660cbcae3f57f0927e6569736896fd3bbe5fd7fba94a24ff.jpg

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
If Vollmer could build a web site bigger and better than FBO in a matter of months, I don't see why they can't find a way to put the gratis applications online too. How hard would it be to add a few fields where they can enter the land descriptions?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If Vollmer could build a web site bigger and better than FBO in a matter of months, I don't see why they can't find a way to put the gratis applications online too. How hard would it be to add a few fields where they can enter the land descriptions?

That's how it's set up - last 2 years anyway. It's all there - fully automated. It even retrieves last year's descriptions for you.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told by someone at the GNF the same thing about gratis license checking. But was also told it also had to do with verifying addresses of others in the state who have applied, but may have just recently moved here who would not be eligible (non-residents, but claiming residency).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 26
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7