ND G&F preference/bonus points

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
the only negative that I do not care for is like I said they ( some western states) do not have a very good idea on draw stats from year to year. so many people sit out of draws and wait for the mild winter, good spring moisture and boom they use there max points.
for instance western Wyoming has suffered one of the worst winters in years and deer and antelope winterkill is extreme to very severe in many of the trophy units. many of these max point holders will sit out the draw and buy points this year. if I was a betting man you could draw some tough Wyoming deer and antelope units this year with less points than normal. however when the herd starts trending in a positive direction the points needed to draw will sky rocket again creating confusion on how many points is really needed.

again you guys are right we don't have the NR, trophy units like some other states so may not affect us as much

- - - Updated - - -

of course if Wyoming cuts tag numbers which sound likely it still may require lots of points to draw......haha I'm throwing my name in anyhow cant kill a buck if you sit out!

Maybe this is the year to go as the healthy buck may have made it through the down turn might not be realized for a year or two or maybe even longer as it seems the really old and yearlings are hit the hardest so the 2016 year class might be weak. plus there is always otc units. Or just go like idaho and have no pref for any thing

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe this is the year to go as the healthy buck may have made it through the down turn might not be realized for a year or two or maybe even longer as it seems the really old and yearlings are hit the hardest so the 2016 year class might be weak. plus there is always otc units. Or just go like idaho and have no pref for any thing

shhhhhh haha you are 100% correct the young bucks and extreme old bucks are likely the ones that past. the mid aged ones likely made it through and with the spring moisture should have good sets of horns. like you said there will be a noticeable gap in mature bucks in the next couple years if fawn recruitment is low.

actually saw that in eastern MT last year plenty of young antelope in that 70-72" range but very few upper 70" quality bucks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33