NDGF: Pheasant numbers up slightly, Grouse down

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mild winter and good spring, and yet the numbers are just up a bit from last year??? Man, you can really see the effect of those lost CRP acres when we have great winters with good carryover and still don't get big swing in bird numbers.

Oh well, plenty to shoot still if you can find the cover come fall (as long as it's not all burned or tilled up by then).

http://gf.nd.gov/news/game-and-fish-tallies-spring-pheasant-grouse-numbers

[h=1]Game and Fish Tallies Spring Pheasant, Grouse Numbers[/h]
Friday, July 1, 2016

North Dakota’s spring pheasant population index is up slightly from last year, while sharp-tailed grouse numbers are down slightly, according to recent surveys conducted by State Game and Fish Department biologists.
Aaron Robinson, upland game management supervisor, said the number of pheasant roosters heard on the spring crowing count survey was up just about 2 percent statewide. Numbers in the southeast were down from last year, Robinson said, while “the other regions from west to central were up slightly, but not enough to say there’s a big increase from last year.”
Sharp-tailed grouse counts on spring dancing grounds or leks were down about 6 percent statewide from last year. “We were kind of expecting that,” Robinson added. “We had some dry weather last year and production wasn’t as good.”
While the spring counts provide a good indicator of the number of breeding birds in the two populations, Robinson says it’s primarily early summer weather that influences hunting success in the fall. “You have to have the right conditions to produce a good hatch,” he said. “You don’t want really wet, cold years, and you don’t want dry years. Dry years don’t produce those insects that chicks need to survive those first 10 days.”
Game and Fish biologists will start their summer upland game brood counts in mid-July, and Robinson said that will lead to more precise fall population predictions. “That’s when we really start to understand what our production was for the year.”
Pheasant crowing counts are conducted each spring throughout North Dakota. Observers drive specified 20-mile routes, stopping at predetermined intervals, and counting the number of pheasant roosters heard crowing over a two-minute period during the stop.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how much hail impacted areas as well. I was definitely expecting a much larger increase.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are all whipped out in the SW part of the state. Numbers are way down, hardly a rooster in sight during prime "gravel-munching" times. Go to SD to find a pheasant.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are all whipped out in the SW part of the state. Numbers are way down, hardly a rooster in sight during prime "gravel-munching" times. Go to SD to find a pheasant.

Same in the SE. Better head to Watford City and hunt around the abandoned man camps, or else go to SD. Only options left...

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Northern ND, I am seeing quite a bit more than last year. Same with NW region.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
keep in mind this is a crow count. It has nothing to do with this years hatch which is the most important factor.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was out and about on Wednesday doing my thing, visiting a ton of farms and ranches. Mind you this is in the southwest part of ND, New England, and that general area. Not one pheasant was seen, the hail got them all. I am guessing the coyote population will decimate also with no birds to sustain them.

Head to SD, nothing to hunt out west.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Northern ND, I am seeing quite a bit more than last year. Same with NW region.

You are hallucinating.

There are no pheasants up here.

Raising and releasing them does not work.

Go to Pembina to hunt.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep going guys! We keep this up long enough, the Sconis are actually going to start believing us :;:thumbsup

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
"After further review, the "Morning Talk Committee", which was strategically developed by the Nodak Angler Board of Directors, suggests through their highly regarded professional opinion that the following actions should be taken:

1) Cut non-resident upland game licenses by 89%
2) Cut the state wide hunting region for upland to the following area: East of HWY 83 and North of HWY 2.

Best regards,

NDA Morning Talk Committee"

Is there anything else you guys want me to add before I forward it to NDGF?

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Give out two per person gratis deer tags??

- - - Updated - - -

Let us pile ducks?

- - - Updated - - -

Federal subsidies for bait piles?

- - - Updated - - -

Allow large rocks placed on section lines to denote no hunting?

- - - Updated - - -

Bounties for coyotes?

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Give out two per person gratis deer tags??

- - - Updated - - -

Let us pile ducks?

- - - Updated - - -

Federal subsidies for bait piles?

- - - Updated - - -

Allow large rocks placed on section lines to denote no hunting?

- - - Updated - - -

Bounties for coyotes?

I do not give a hill of beans about ducks or waterfowl in general. Everything else I'll work in!

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a serious note, I have spent 5 of the last 14 days managing property south of Mott. Plenty of mature birds around. However, I can count the number of chicks I've seen on both hands. I do think the hail wiped out a fair number. Could be just our area but I know the area between Regent and Mott got a lot of hail. A mile south of Mott they had marble size hail that lasted for over 20 minutes and north of town there is an area that had baseball size hail.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a serious note. V man is right. I can't believe the numbers around dl. Crowing count way up

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
was in hillsboro last weekend and unbelievably the pheasants there. must not of had much for hail because every hen had a sizeable clutch. biggest was 11. avg was around 6. definately wetter the further east u go. looks like ill be going way east this year for ducks and ditch chickens.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have not seen a single batch of little ones yet. Maybe to dry here in the south east. We had plenty of adult birds this spring , so what happened? :;:huh

timing

Road counts have been completed, look forward to report. Expect increases to range from 10 to 30%. Keep in mind numbers still down significantly from 10 years ago. Until CRP returns numbers will be huntable but not very good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84