Need Gun Safe

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Hey all,

So I built a house back in 2016. I specifically designed it to have my gun safe (zombie apocalypse room as the finance calls it) in the basement under the garage floor. :;:rockit When building the house, this was going to be a hopefully one and done, and I tried to do as much as my budget would allow me to do and unfortunately my gun room vault/door didn't get to be apart of the build and I had to settle for just a 3 hour fire door. Well long story short, the door never worked out, and I now have a room that is missing a door.

Now I have done some research on these, but figured I would ask the knowledgeable group of people on this site for there thoughts/ideas/experiences with such a thing. Im looking for a gun safe/vault door like u see in some of these new houses that is fire proof/resistant for 3 hrs at minimum, and has to swing to the inside of the room. Anyone have any experiences with them? Anyone around town that installs/sells these?

Thanks in advanced,

ktm450

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't have an answer and don't know the layout of your house but I'm thinking that a door like you describe might cost in the range of a good gun safe. Have you looked into those as an alternative. That way when your fiance, or is it now wife, wants a bigger house you can take the safe with you.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Don't have an answer and don't know the layout of your house but I'm thinking that a door like you describe might cost in the range of a good gun safe. Have you looked into those as an alternative. That way when your fiance, or is it now wife, wants a bigger house you can take the safe with you.

You are correct, i know the safe door/vault will be in the upwards of $3,000+. My thought was, why buy a gun safe for that much that fills up when i can build a gun room (9x10) and it will take me awhile to fill that thing up. Plus it acts as a good storm shelter in cause of bad weather.

Something like this is what im after.
9F032AD6-60A8-41CB-9F7C-588F98B78EE5.jpg

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You are correct, i know the safe door/vault will be in the upwards of $3,000+. My thought was, why buy a gun safe for that much that fills up when i can build a gun room (9x10) and it will take me awhile to fill that thing up. Plus it acts as a good storm shelter in cause of bad weather.

Something like this is what im after.
W_gWIatH.jpeg

ok, that makes sense for what you want. i was just thinking of an option. How is the rest of the room constructed to make sure that part is also fire-proof? Is it concrete? Will be a nice room when you're done with it.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member

Have u used one of these or seen on in person by chance? What are your thoughts on them?

- - - Updated - - -

ok, that makes sense for what you want. i was just thinking of an option. How is the rest of the room constructed to make sure that part is also fire-proof? Is it concrete? Will be a nice room when you're done with it.

Its solid concrete all the way around. 7” thick walls and 8” thick ceiling. Yes it will be nice when its done, just want to make sure I do it right the first time. And i have to find a door that is either universal fit or has some sort of adjustments so to speak. Being i already have a set size hole to work with.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you find a door that is a little, or a lot, to big it's not difficult to cut a bigger hole in the concrete. Just need the proper tools and I'm sure you can hire someone to do that. If the door is to small for your opening I'm sure you can find some fireproof material to fill the opening.

When I worked some construction we cut concrete many times. Most common was to install egress windows in basements that had concrete walls. Pretty much the same operation you may need. Good Luck

Turfman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have not used one of these doors. Seems all of them I can find really give no fire rating other than the browning door at 1 hr. That is direct fire on the door for 1 hour. I have quite a few years on a fire dept and within one hour you are getting some cooling on most any residential fire I have ever been to. Not sure your exact situation but I would guess this door fits what you are looking for. Price compared to a large safe offering the same protection is quite comparable.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
If you find a door that is a little, or a lot, to big it's not difficult to cut a bigger hole in the concrete. Just need the proper tools and I'm sure you can hire someone to do that. If the door is to small for your opening I'm sure you can find some fireproof material to fill the opening.

When I worked some construction we cut concrete many times. Most common was to install egress windows in basements that had concrete walls. Pretty much the same operation you may need. Good Luck

Yeah, just have to find the one I want. Seems u can spend 3,000 or 10,000. lol Hopefully it doesn't need to be cut out cause I will have a mess in the house with all that concrete dust.

- - - Updated - - -

Have not used one of these doors. Seems all of them I can find really give no fire rating other than the browning door at 1 hr. That is direct fire on the door for 1 hour. I have quite a few years on a fire dept and within one hour you are getting some cooling on most any residential fire I have ever been to. Not sure your exact situation but I would guess this door fits what you are looking for. Price compared to a large safe offering the same protection is quite comparable.

That's what im finding also. I was basically told to find a 2 hour door or more.. Now days with the houses, if there is fire it wont last longer then two hours. House will be burnt to the ground in that time. With me being a little ways out of town, I would like a little longer fire rating. Thanks for your input :)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88