need help with snowblower repair

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
So my wife was trying to be nice and help with snowblowing. Unfortunately she got a small metal piece and some Christmas lights wrapped in the auger. She said after she got them all out, it wouldn't work. Basically the auger wouldn't spin and the motor would stall. Then she said it "started smoking" from the "engine area by the auger" (belts). I was at work and politely asked her to stop messing with it. Yeah.....I know ;:;banghead. But I guess she was trying to be nice so I can't get too mad.

Anyway, checked the auger area when I got home and nothing stuck in it (so it appears). Took off the plastic piece over the belts and noticed the pulley spring rubbing on the belts. But, for the life of me I can't figure out where that spring was supposed to go. It looks like a bolt may have been sheered off or came out. I googled and youtubed and just can't find any info on where that spring is supposed to be.

I attached a picture. As you can see, the metal spring that sits behind the pulley on the bottom just sits there. I took off the pulley and put it back on. I can't for the life of me figure out where that spring is supposed to be sitting or what it's supposed to be attached to. The only pic online I found shows the metal spring part sitting up more, but they didn't show if it was attached to anything (as the pic wasn't complete). Am I missing another spring? Am I missing some type of bolt that holds that spring up? Anyone worked on these things? It's a Menards Yard-Man/MTD 600 series 30".

Attachments

IMG_1049.jpg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to Menards, and ask to see if you can take the shield off one in the store, to see how it is supposed to be. They might not let you but you never know until you try.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
google this Yard-Man/MTD 600 series 30".snowblower manual

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been doing a bit more research. Proper name for the spring that seems to be out of place is the torsion spring. Found a different pic online, but it looks a bit different than what I have. Gotta be close though.

Tikka, I may end up going to menards to see if they'd allow me to look at it. Or I may go to a local shop and show them the pic over my lunch hour and see if they happen to know.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally found this picture online. Not exactly the same, but it's gotta be close. I think I must need to find a bolt similar to the one the torsion spring is sitting on top of like in this picture.

Sorry, can't get the pic to load.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure I have it figured out. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11