Need to upgrade Electronics

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just ordered another Lowrance unit to replace this one. I used the HDS 9 about 6 times in the last year and it works great with another year of warrantee. Includes everything it came with and the box.

Seriously, the first $750 takes it home. My next unit is already in the mail.

Watchyourownbobber

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run bird as a dedicated mapping unit and a lowrance for 2dsonar/structure scan. Unconventional, yes, but it works great and when sak can fluctuate 10+ feet it's very handy!!! I have gen 2 lowrance with a thru hull and lose bottom contact often when over 50 mph but really how important is that? If your traveling that fast and come up on something your lower unit is gone long before you get slowed down if your relying solely on your graph for depth.

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone is looking for a trolling motor cabelas has 112 lb 60 in terrova with ipilot for $999!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks to be the old style terrova. The new ones look a little different and have updated gps (pinpoint I think) so the spot lock feature works better. That would explain the blowout price.

Here's the new version of the Terrova:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod....z_btnclk=YMAL-2395851&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1732733

It's still a good deal on a dependable motor.
Hell I just rigged up a new style 72" this fall. Took it out and it didn't work, had to take it in and have the head replaced and we hadn't even used the damn thing yet! Repair guy said he was seeing all kinds of problems with the new ones..WTH.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Electronic upgrades are like hot chicks, you spend all your available cash, borrow some more from a buddy, go to bed with the greatest, sexiest bitch alive, and wake up with a shitty old skank the somehow outdated around 2am.

Put your cash into ice cold Busch lights, your return is platinum

Becker

Nice avatar john! You are exactly right about the electronic tech changes. I ran Lowrance units for many years. When they lost their ability to use Lakemaster & Minnkota I made the switch to bird. Bought 2 Solix 12's last year and am very happy with them. There is a difference in sonar quality between the Helix and Solix. The AutoChart is another nice feature to make your own maps. Raymarine and Garmin already have some new tricks out. Change will happen faster and frequently. Just a matter if you want to pay for it.

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am switching to Garmin 93SV current price is $999 but has $100 rebate on GPS Store. Will still run one Lowrance HDS7 along with Garmin unit.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks a lot guys. I was told by a HB user that to get the best map accuracy from the HB you need to get the puck (external antenna).

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard that statement before. After 18 years and 4 lower units I need all the help I can get. I was pulled in 22 miles one time. No one was happy that day.

Jesus H. Christ!

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am switching to Garmin 93SV current price is $999 but has $100 rebate on GPS Store. Will still run one Lowrance HDS7 along with Garmin unit.

Make sure it has the 3 crystal transducer. for a while they were selling them with the 2 crystal one because of the Lowrance lawsuit. I have an older one with the 3 crystal and love it. They say the HD down sucks with the 2 crystal one. I am not sure of the ducer numbers but with a little research you should be able to find them easily.

Honored Member
There must not be too many guys that have experienced Humminbirds MEGA IMAGING on here. The clarity from those is amazing. I have seen a 26+ inch walleye 30ft to the side of me on my graph and could see the dorsal fin on her. I have also seen a 7ft sturgeon and could pick out the plates on it on my down imaging. They can pick out weed lines and tree lines as if your looking at a picture of them. Ive got nothing against Lowrance but I feel the mapping for Humminbirds is hands down the best for North Dakota. If you tie in a through hull transducer with the HD transducer you dont lose bottom when on plane. Just my two cents. Now days with the way electronics and boats are my philosophy is pick what suits you best and what you are comfortable with. You probably wont be dissappointed with your purchase.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you look hard enough -- you can find mega for under 1k for a 9"

Mega right now is the grand pooopppaaaaa of all sonar. We will see in a year

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53