Need your mechanic thoughts

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
First, I have a 2004 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L. 105,000 on her and she usually purrs like a kitten in a bathtub of warm milk. A couple months ago, whenever I'd come to a red light, she'd sputter and idle terrible, especially pulling away. Mechanic friend pulled off the MAF and sprayed some special cleaner on it and I dug in his garage fridge. Everything has ran fine after that until today again. Does a guy go though the same process or order a new MAF sensor? Run some seafoam through the fuel system and call it a day? I'm not a mechanic and don't pretend to be. Any help is appreciated.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
mine was idling rough something terrible but my engine light came on right before it started acting up. 02 sensor had it running rich. Notice any different smells?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, CEL came on as I pulled back into the office. Exhaust did smell different.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can get the code, you will take most of the guessing out of the equation. My guess is if you have already had MAF issues, just put a new one in. Easy to do and not a ton of money.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have friends with code readers but they are busy tonight.

Navajo-code-talkers.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

... you should be used to this driving a Dodge :;:muahaha

not wanting to be sad about vehicle problems is WHY I drive a Ram :;:rockit

- - - Updated - - -

I should have bought an eco-boost. I heard nobody has been sad about those.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess the plan will be to stop by O-O-Oreilly's on the way home and check the code, buy the part and install. If that doesn't work it's going home with my friend tomorrow.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
close outs on some 2015's going on right now, get after.

Best bet is to upgrade the entire outfit.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Could be the MAF still but if it is bad I would think it would also be hard starting, idle rough and hesitate quite a bit. O2 sensor was 1st thing that popped into my head but I am not a mechanic nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
does it seem under powered?

Of course its under powered! Its a GM! :;:muahaha

All kidding aside. I used to have a 04 GMC exactly like yours. I had it until 150K miles. Your problems are just starting. I had electrical and mechanical problems as soon as it rolled over 100K.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dirty..I have a code reader your welcome to borrow. Shoot me a message if you want it. It's in my truck, I can get it to you after work.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd call around make sure one of the shops have your MAF sensor. Codes may or may not isolate it but logic would say that's it.

Have you checked your air filter latley? Is there a lot of oil residue?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't check the air filter in a while. Just put a new on in in december. All this happened on the way to work today so I haven't had time to dig around.

- - - Updated - - -

close outs on some 2015's going on right now, get after.

Best bet is to upgrade the entire outfit.

I just got the ok from the wife to upgrade my boat. The truck can't break down right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course its under powered! Its a GM! :;:muahaha

All kidding aside. I used to have a 04 GMC exactly like yours. I had it until 150K miles. Your problems are just starting. I had electrical and mechanical problems as soon as it rolled over 100K.

Dealt with a 4wd selector switch/transfer case control module issue earlier this winter. That was the first major thing. I don't want to believe you but you're picture is similar to mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Dirty..I have a code reader your welcome to borrow. Shoot me a message if you want it. It's in my truck, I can get it to you after work.

I will stop by the auto parts store after work then let you know what I find out. I appreciate the offer and will keep you updated.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51