Need your mechanic thoughts

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does a guy change all 4 O2 sensors then or just the bank 1. Or pull them and find the bad one. I cleaned the MAF and it idles much better. But I'm with you guys in thinking its an O2 sensor.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would check bank 1 first, would think a good reader would isolate which one. When the wife's suburban did this it was the one before the cat converter. Research turned up everything from bad intake manifold gaskets, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel regulator, bad injector, bad plug and wires. New to the area and not wanting to take the Bakken sideways telephone pole rodgering locally, we usually end up taking them to Ryan's in Minot. Not too bad once you weed through all the extra crap they always want to do.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
To add, can you hear your fuel pump priming when u turn the key to the on position (not fully cranking it) or when u turn the vehicle off? I drove 6 hours in the 90+ degree heat this summer, got home and my fuel pump sounded way off while it was priming (just not the typical whine). No CEL, but figured id be replacing the fuel pump again.
Me being me, started with the cheapest options first and went and got a new fuel filter and air filter, changed em up in the garage and wahlah. Could definitely smell the different scent of fuel afterwards.
Other could be a timing issue, but more than likely a clogged fuel filter or O2 sensor which the latter is common in chevys and throws a code about as often as a loose gas cap ;:;banghead. $20 code reader off amazon=best $20 ever spent.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cleaned the MAF sensor last night and it appeared to be running better. Drove to the gym this morning and it was back to its old antics. I'm picking up O2 sensors this morning and my friend is going to switch them out. If that doesn't take care of it, I'll swap out MAF, fuel filter and air filter.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those codes can also mean a bad fuel injector. Before I spent the amount of money your going to spend on 02 sensors I'd move them from one side to the other and see if the code moves to the other side also. A intermittent fuel injector will cause those symptoms. especially going away at higher rpm's because the fuel pressure increases to the injectors. Which could also mean the fuel pressure regulator is bad causing lower fuel pressure at idle. And if you have one injector that is a little suspect it shows up at those low RPM's.

tinker

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes i was kinda wrong on fuel filer,
mid-05 and on GM gas trucks do not have fuel filters any longer. Only filter in the fuel system is the fuel pump strainer.

bank 1 is driver side, it would save you money to hook it up to a computer and see what each 02 sensor says..

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
said screw it. Bought new plugs and wires (they were needed anyway) and I'll have my friend try those first. If they don't take care of the issue, there's two new O2 sensors in there as well. Guess I'm reffing this weekend afterall.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
bad 02 sensors is probably the most wrongly diagnosed issue on gas engines. I've seen engines with completely plugged cats throw this code and fuel issues throw this code. If you have one cylinder on that bank not getting fuel it'll see a lean condition.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plugs, then pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull... ;)

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plugs, then pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull, and pull... ;)

I see where this is going. Make fun of the guy with an arctic cat, sore back, and a father in law who believe spark plugs never go bad so why throw them out instead of spending $2 and replacing them or providing backups that haven't been fouled before.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does a guy change all 4 O2 sensors then or just the bank 1. Or pull them and find the bad one. I cleaned the MAF and it idles much better. But I'm with you guys in thinking its an O2 sensor.

lol by the time you spend all this money on parts and trouble shooting you couldve had a mechanic fix it, probably be even on money but ahead on time wasted. my 2 cents

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good friend of mine is doing the work on it. He works for a case of silver bullets so it's a pretty good deal. I haven't sought the help of a mechanics shop in years. The only downside is he works 12 hour shifts and I hate to make him work even more.

- - - Updated - - -

And his code reader narrowed it down to bank 1 sensor 1.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
if its a plug issue wouldnt you expect it to run shitty all the time, and not just idling?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup I couldn't agree with wags more.
I once changed the valve cover gasket on an old Pontiac I owned (1988), well the gasket and goop were about $80.00, the electronic deal that I ended up busting when the wrench slipped was around $300. The shop wanted $125 bucks to fix it in the first place...;:;banghead

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good friend of mine is doing the work on it. He works for a case of silver bullets so it's a pretty good deal. I haven't sought the help of a mechanics shop in years. The only downside is he works 12 hour shifts and I hate to make him work even more.

- - - Updated - - -

And his code reader narrowed it down to bank 1 sensor 1.

same sensor i had to replace when mine started acting up too

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
same sensor i had to replace when mine started acting up too

could have saved me time and just told me that. dick. :::

It has 106K on it so it was due for plugs and wires anyway. It'll help pulling that new ranger tiller.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67