Need your mechanic thoughts

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you upgrading to?

A bigger tiller. Because Huffranger schooled me in the way of pulling on heart strings when it comes to getting a new boat. Worked like a charm. "Honey, I don't think our boat is big enough for us two and the dog." "Well, we better start looking for something different." (bassmaster classic hook-set)

- - - Updated - - -

If you haven't done it recently I'd change the fuel filter.

Not a bad idea. I literally have no idea how to do most mechanic things. My best friend from high school is a mechanic and works for coors lights. So I'll see what the codes say and surrender the pickup to him tomorrow.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 09 dodge challenger that dies randomly. Sometimes it doesnt do it for a week or two, others it will die several times in one trip. Does this with both keys. Taken it in twice to Bismarck Dodge dealer and they cannot find anything wrong with it. Even left it there for a few days for them to drive and they said they cannot get it to happen for them. Its to the point that we dont wanna drive the car because you never know when its going to quit. When it dies, it will restart, sometimes after a few attempts. When its running, it runs fine, when it dies it just quits, like someone pulled the plug. Weve considered just trading it in, but would rather get it working. Is there a better place to take it for work or suggestions how to resolve this? Sorry for Hijacking, but not sure how many 'car problem' threads we need going at once....

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an 03 Chevy 5.3L at about 192000 miles and only thing I've done to it is new shocks and alternator. I bought it at about 100000 on it. That being said, I think the guys that said O2 sensor are on the right track.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks gr8. I'm minutes away from closing up shop for today. I'll let everyone know the issue after a bit.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 09 dodge challenger that dies randomly. Sometimes it doesnt do it for a week or two, others it will die several times in one trip. Does this with both keys. Taken it in twice to Bismarck Dodge dealer and they cannot find anything wrong with it. Even left it there for a few days for them to drive and they said they cannot get it to happen for them. Its to the point that we dont wanna drive the car because you never know when its going to quit. When it dies, it will restart, sometimes after a few attempts. When its running, it runs fine, when it dies it just quits, like someone pulled the plug. Weve considered just trading it in, but would rather get it working. Is there a better place to take it for work or suggestions how to resolve this? Sorry for Hijacking, but not sure how many 'car problem' threads we need going at once....

If you are scared to drive it I will give it a test drive;)

It could be a pinched wire going to the fuel pump. My in-laws had a 02 Chrysler that would die on them and sometimes it would restart and others times it would not. They fought with it a couple years and had it to different repair shops and nobody could get find the problem until one day my father in-laws sister said she was not going to ride in this car anymore because whenever she does it dies. It seamed that every time she rode in the car she sat in the back seat behind the driver, so they pulled the back seat and discovered a wire that would get pinched and cut power to the fuel pump. whenever someone sat in that seat.

Most cars these days are equipped with a fuel pump shut off for accidents and theft maybe yours is faulty.

- - - Updated - - -

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

I've had good luck with capital Auto repair in Bismarck. No BS and much cheaper than the dealerships. With that said electrical gremlins can be very hard to diagnose and repair.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
First, I have a 2004 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L. 105,000 on her and she usually purrs like a kitten in a bathtub of warm milk. A couple months ago, whenever I'd come to a red light, she'd sputter and idle terrible, especially pulling away. Mechanic friend pulled off the MAF and sprayed some special cleaner on it and I dug in his garage fridge. Everything has ran fine after that until today again. Does a guy go though the same process or order a new MAF sensor? Run some seafoam through the fuel system and call it a day? I'm not a mechanic and don't pretend to be. Any help is appreciated.

02 Chevy idled rough at stop lights so I took it to Advanced fleet services and they replace the intake, which they said was warped ( was told this is common ) and after that it has ran great..

tinker

Founding Member
Founding Member
no fuel filter on that pickup...or any 2000s gm as far as i know

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
no fuel filter on that pickup...or any 2000s gm as far as i know
In the tank then I'd suspect. They all have a filter somewhere

- - - Updated - - -

those chevy's are also notorious for having the fuel pressure regulators go out if I'm not mistaken. And that is one of the symptoms.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
2000's do have a fuel filter. When I bought my 03, I replaced the fuel pump just because. Not knowing the history of the truck and all just thought I'd do it. When I bought the fuel pump, the guy behind the counter said to replace the filter also or it would void the warranty on the pump if it went out and filter was not replaced at the same time.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
P0171 bank one lean
P0300 multiple misfire

any ideas fellas.

Change plugs and wires first even u can do that. Make sure to get a wrench small enough to get your hands around:;: run some seafoam in a couple tanks of gas and see what happens. If that don't work I have a 02 1500 with 228000 miles on it that I'll trade u runs like a top. Just missing a little body in most places cause of rust.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kickem, you're underestimating the size of my hands and mechanic skill.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67