New boat time - opinions please

Fitz

Established Member
It's getting to be that time of the year again - boat show season. I'm in the market for a new boat and looking to see what everyone thinks. I currently have a Lund 1625 Fury XL tiller with a 30hp so almost anything will be an upgrade. $40,000 is going to be the budget this time around. The wife wants something with a full windshield. Any make and model out there to stay away from? Is there something out there that people are surprised with?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
with that budget I'd be looking at used. you can buy one hell of a nice full windshield boat for that amount.

Fitz

Established Member
New or used. Does not matter to me. If used, I want it to be in great condition.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fitz - I'm upgrading as well this year...looking at a new Lund Impact 1875. I like the way the boat is laid out, I'm sticking with aluminum. The 1875 is almost 19ft long, has a 96 inch beam, 36 gal. tank. Good luck searching, take your time and try to get a ride in boats you have interest in.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer glass, smooth and dry, which mama will appreciate. You may already know this but a lot of used boats are bought and sold on walleyecentral.com Click on Classifieds/Search Ads. You can sort by price. I bought my last boat, 1860 Ranger, from a post on there 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. Good luck, boat shopping is fun!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer glass, smooth and dry, which mama will appreciate. You may already know this but a lot of used boats are bought and sold on walleyecentral.com Click on Classifieds/Search Ads. You can sort by price. I bought my last boat, 1860 Ranger, from a post on there 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. Good luck, boat shopping is fun!

Agreed, I got my current boat through there as well, very active site, can sort by boat brand or price.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any input on why he should stay away from a crestliner? #$%^&>

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't heard it in a while. I needed some reading material for my morning sit.

Happy shitting you dirty hippie!

I owned a 2006 1850 Crestliner Fishhawk with a factory pre-rigged 150HP Suzuki 4-stroke from brand new in May of '06 until last Saturday 6/20/15. Late last summer (Mid-August) I noticed a couple of cracks in the welds along the transom. That was the last time I had it in the water. Late Nov comes along, time to put the boat in storage, but, let's get those cracks fixed 1st. I knew a guy @ the local dealership and he gave me the phone number for Crestliner customer service. I called them up and they wanted NOTHING to do with me direct, they only wanted to deal with a dealer. The local dealer (Ray's, Moorhead MN) are good folks, but, I bought from a dealer that's no longer in business and I don't think Ray's should have to deal with this, they didn't make any $$ on it and I'm sure have better things to do than worry about a boat they didn't sell. Ray's removed my motor and hauled it down to New York Mills for me at no charge. So far so good. Boat sits in NYM from Dec until mid-March, which is fine, I wasn't using it and they weren't charging for storage. This is the only winter my boat's ever been outside. I've stored it indoors since I bought it. Anyway, the cracked welds get fixed under warrantee no questions asked and on the approximate timeline. I'm only ~85mi from the factory so when it was finished I picked it up and pulled it to the dealer to have the motor re-hung, and that's when the real trouble started.

Local dealer goes to hang the motor on a week later and calls me, "We can't hang the motor or, your transom wood is rotten and we're crushing the hull when we tighten the mounting bolts." Well, that's inconvenient, but, I figure it's just 1 more phone call and surely Crestliner would be interested in having my boat fixed properly the 2nd time, and hopefully more quickly than 3mo. Nope, Crestliner doesn't warrantee wood. Now, as I said, the boat is stored indoors all the time except for the days I fish. I take the tarp off when in the garage and often run a fan to get things dried out. Surely someone at Crestliner will see that there are no soft spots in my entire boat floor and realize that I either got a bad piece of wood, or some other unforeseen issue caused the rot. NOPE!!

Without seeing my boat again they told me, "Your motor wasn't pre-rigged and your dealer didn't seal up the holes well enough." Was the 1st story I got. But that was incorrect, as my boat is a Pre-Brunswick model and it indeed was factory pre-rigged, I know because I filled out the order form myself. So I pointed that out and if they believed the un-sealed holes was the problem, it was their doing. Next story was, "Well, I can see that your motor's been moved, whomever moved it didn't seal it back up and that's what caused the leak that in turn caused the rot." That was also incorrect. I had my boat back to Crestliner in '07 or '08 (don't recall which) to have the hull rockered due to too much "hook" in the hull. So again, if the mounting bolt holes weren't sealed, that should be Crestliner's responsibility. Then communication stopped for 2wks. So, I started calling, and calling, and calling, and callling................During the 1st 6 weeks of trying to figure out what caused the rot and should it be warrantee or not, there were only 2 times that my calls were returned and information conveyed when Crestliner said they would. Once was the 1st time the interim manager of customer service called me to say he was looking into things, and the 2nd was a conference call with the President of Crestliner. Other than those 2 calls, I had to HOUND them for information.

So, they schedule to have my boat returned to NYM to have the engineers and the President look at it to determine the cause of the rot. I shuffle my schedule so that I can be there on that day. But, Crestliner, again failed to communicate and the dealer didn't have my boat ready to travel. So another week goes by (it's up to 7 weeks now) until my boat gets down to NYM and the next week I cannot be down there when they "inspect it". I finally got a call back from the interim manager of Customer Service and he tells me that due to the age of my boat they don't see any reason to warantee my boat but due to my persistence they'd "only" charge me $2,000. That's the decision that's come down from the President and that's my only option.

So to re-cap, a boat that's been used for 8 seasons, stored indoors all but the 30-40 days/summer I fish with it, has no soft spots in the floor and no other damage or modifications somehow had a transom rot problem and Crestliner wouldn't stand behind it.

I paid it and promptly sold it. The buyer knows the whole story and has a copy of the receipt.

And that's why you shouldn't buy a Crestliner.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nice....

Moving back to the original topic............................at $40k I would look at the used market unless you insist on new. if you go new, your going to loose 2k right to the tax man which leaves you at about $38k. This isn't unfathomable to think you couldn't find a nice windshield boat at that price. probably looking at something along the lines of a tracker V18WT or maybe a relatively stripped down Lund 1775 Crossover without the max hp.

If you go used you'll be able to find a really nice clean 1-4 year old decked out 18-19 footer that has everything and the kitchen sink. Just sold my Yar-Craft 186 in September for $40k on the nose. Still had a year of warranty on both motors and was fully loaded with 200 hp, kicker, 3 Lowrance HDSs, two custom props, jack-plate, tandem tough coat trailer, etc. It had all the goodies and a whopping 215 hours on the main. Boat was in absolutely terrific shape as I'm super picky.

Used wise you'll have several nice options at that price range. Should have no problem finding a nice Ranger 1850/1880, Yar-Craft 186, Nitro ZV18, warrior 1898 or something similar. I would figure out the layout and type of boat you want, narrow it down to a couple models that will fit the bill and then keep on eye on the boat classifieds at walleyecentral, bisman, in-depth-outdoors, and walleyesfirst. be patient and you'll find one that will check all the boxes without an issue. Good luck

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the price of new boats now I’d never buy new. These things last forever so let someone else take the big hit

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
picked up my 3 year old 1880 last year for 39,500 and sold it for 40. Momma would like that boat.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why buy used. https://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/adviewer/212378

Get a nice 6 year warranty along with a yammy. Imo buy the longest boat u can buy and the newest u can buy. The boat generally is not an issue. If your some guy like eyexer and can do a complete rebuild then look at a used hell 21 foot glass. Otherwise I would stick to newer motors with warranty.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why buy used. https://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/adviewer/212378

Get a nice 6 year warranty along with a yammy. Imo buy the longest boat u can buy and the newest u can buy. The boat generally is not an issue. If your some guy like eyexer and can do a complete rebuild then look at a used hell 21 foot glass. Otherwise I would stick to newer motors with warranty.
Decent price. But for mid 30’s you can get one loaded with electronics and other extras including a kicker. You throw that stuff on that new boat and your pushing 50k in a hurry

- - - Updated - - -

This is the boat I’d probably buy if I was looking. https://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/adviewer/212290

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy of mine has a Wetliner(crestliner). That boat really is the biggest piece of crap I have ever been in. It’s an 18ft fishing model of some sort. For 40 grand you should be able to get a damn nice used glass boat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34