New boat suggestions

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Come to think of it, Roscoe. If you DON'T tow very long distances on a regular basis to get to your port of call, have you considered one of the newer fishing pontoons? You get about 32 mph at WOT with a 22 ft toon and a 150 4-S, plenty of power for pulling tubes, etc.

I did it a couple years ago because there are 6 of us when it comes to me, my girlfriend, and our 4 kids. We can comfortably fish 4 on the crappiest of days, six are easy on all but the crappiest of days, and there's just that much more damn room to spread gear, coolers, and kids out. I kept the fishing boat for days it's just me and one other person, but that Toon is getting even more attractive on days when it's just me as I get older.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen Is your toon as easy as your boat to load and unload ? We had one years ago when our kids were small and we loved it but we had a crappy scissor trailer that was a pain. If I ever buy another boat there is a good chance it will be a toon.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Toons make momma happy!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I never thought i would see the threads on NDA ---- go from hard nosed Vex lovers to Graphs and now from Fiberglass 21 tubs to Toons

Were getting soft -- :;:howdy

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen Is your toon as easy as your boat to load and unload ? We had one years ago when our kids were small and we loved it but we had a crappy scissor trailer that was a pain. If I ever buy another boat there is a good chance it will be a toon.

On all but a solid 35 mph cross wind, the Toon loads pretty easy. As noted, they use bunk trailers now for those of us who don't put them in once in the spring and leave them on the water the whole summer. My Toon probably has 5 -8k highway miles on it over the past two summers. Other than being a damn bug magnet, they trailer and tow pretty darn nicely. I bought the thing out of necessity and have been very pleased with the experience. It back-trolls very nicely with the 150 at about 1.1 mph, and goes forward at around 2.4 mph when trolling. So with spinners we're backtrolling, and with cranks we go forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Toons make momma happy!!!!!!!

This! :;:cheers

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
^701...so you are not happy with your 1775? Just curious what year it is and what motor you got on it? Moving up from a 16ft 75hp to an almost 19ft 150hp boat seems like a nice step up to me?

2012 with the 115. She's a dog imo

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
2012 with the 115. She's a dog imo

Gotcha...think the changes to the Impact line in 2018...2 inches wider...2 inches longer, for me anyway, will be a very nice step up from what I'm running now. I'm sticking with aluminum...have looked at G3, Crestliner, Tracker, Alumacraft, and Lund. For fit/finish/price, the Impact is the best set up that I've found. The specs say with the 150, the 1875 can hit 50-52mph...more than enough speed for this old man! You thinking about upgrading or you gonna stay with the 1775?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The specs say with the 150, the 1875 can hit 50-52mph...more than enough speed for this old man!

The only time that boat is gonna touch 50MPH or higher is on the trailer behind the tow vehicle.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The only time that boat is gonna touch 50MPH or higher is on the trailer behind the tow vehicle.

Rode in buddy's 2015 1875 last summer on Sak...he's got a 115hp on it...2 of us with a full tank of gas his GPS had us at 42mph.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

It might with no gear, one guy, light on fuel and over propped. Much like most of the tests are done.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm with SDMF on this one. No way that boat hits 50.

Sure you guys are right DM...I can only speak on what I experienced myself. I'm sure most boat manufacturers state what they can get their test guys to squeeze out performance wise as Ahab stated above. I assumed if my buddy's 1875 hit 42mph with a 115hp motor, that to think a 150hp motor could reach 50mph is not a reach...but maybe it is unrealistic? I'm not an expert by any stretch and have never experimented with different props on the boats I've owned...probably never will. If/when I pull the trigger on a new Impact it will be stock only for this guy! Honestly...not being a tournament guy...I can't ever see myself running a boat above 40mph...but that's just me!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
It might with no gear, one guy, light on fuel and over propped. Much like most of the tests are done.

I think when horse jockeys retire they do boat testing to help keep the weight down and increase reported speeds a given boat/motor combo is able to attain.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly...not being a tournament guy...I can't ever see myself running a boat above 40mph...but that's just me!

I'm not a tournament fisherman either, but I really do love the sound of an outboard @ WOT.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure you guys are right DM...I can only speak on what I experienced myself. I'm sure most boat manufacturers state what they can get their test guys to squeeze out performance wise as Ahab stated above. I assumed if my buddy's 1875 hit 42mph with a 115hp motor, that to think a 150hp motor could reach 50mph is not a reach...but maybe it is unrealistic? I'm not an expert by any stretch and have never experimented with different props on the boats I've owned...probably never will. If/when I pull the trigger on a new Impact it will be stock only for this guy! Honestly...not being a tournament guy...I can't ever see myself running a boat above 40mph...but that's just me!

As a general rule you see 2.5-3.5 mph gain per 50hp on identically loaded set-ups.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brothers 1775 with a 115 merc 4stk will do 42mph - loaded with gear and two guys wet dry any day of the week.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My max speed is always attained down stream as I go by the grant marsh bridge. Light on fuel, no gear and only one person isn’t very realistic.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My max speed is always attained down stream as I go by the grant marsh bridge. Light on fuel, no gear and only one person isn’t very realistic.

After having the hull worked on, moving the motor up and down several times, tying 6 different props, moving "stuff" all over in the boat looking for balance, the fastest I was ever able to get in my '06 1850 Crestliner FishHawk w/150Suzuki 4-stroke was in the spring of I believe '09 running downstream from Hazelton to the mouth of the Cannonball with a light tail-wind, strong current, and just enough ripple to free-up the hull. 48.9MPH

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This thread went sideways on this max speed topic...hope Roscoe don't hold it against us!

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Ive got a 2012 1875, 150, kicker and 19p tempest. I see 47-48 most days i want to go that fast. Holeshot and control are fine. Pm me if you want a test ride when it warms up.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88