New boat

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was at the boat show this weekend checking out all the new boats. I’m an old school tiller guy but I walked out deciding it’s time to go for broke (literally) and buy a windshield glass boat. I really looked at all of them and came away thinking Lund 202 or 219 or Ranger 620-621. I’m not a brand snob but I do own a Lund pro.V so maybe a bit partial. I’ve never fished out of any of the glass boats so I would like some honest feedback from those that have experience with these or other rigs. In the end I’d really like to buy the boat that I’ll be happy with for quite a while and have no regrets. Also can someone tell me if you can get a ranger rigged with a Yamaha engine? Thanks in advance!!

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention I fish Sacakawea almost exclusively.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes you can get a Ranger with a Yamaha.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you looked at the yarcraft 209 or the skeeter 2060? They are both in the same category as what you mentioned. I have heard alot of really good things about the yarcraft lately, might be worth a look. Good luck and have fun shopping, just remember to make it extra sparkly!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
At your point in the boat-shopping experience, I'd concern myself with 2 factors.

1. Overall boat layout
2. What dealership do you want to deal with

You can get about any brand outboard you want pre-rigged from the factory on a Ranger, Yar-Craft, or Warrior. Skeeter and Yamaha have some sort of ownership alliance so Skeeter will push you hard towards Yamaha. Lund is going to push you hard towards Merc because both Lund and Merc are a part of Brunswick.

IMO, the Lund and Ranger are both top-notch boats that will serve you well. To narrow down the decision, I'd spend some time just sitting in both. Imagine where you'll sit when you fish. Where will your stuff go? Where are you not willing to sacrifice room, and where will you give up some space? I prefer to fish up in the bow and I'll give up some space behind the windshield to do so. Some folks want to be behind the windshield all the time and want more floor-space in that area.

Nit-pick storage and layout. What do you want to store, and, where do you want to store it? Can you access what you've stored? Have you buried batteries or pumps once you've stowed your gear or can you still easily access them if you have a problem? Does your knee bang the throttle? Can you swivel the captain's chair without banging into the throttle? Same for the passenger seat bases, do they allow seat-swiveling clearance or do you bang the sides or storage areas?

Where's your net going to ride when you're running from spot to spot? How will you keep your net accessible when you're fishing? Where will your net go when you're trailering? Same for your tackle-box, rod holders, and the rods you're using vs. the rods you're storing. What's your plan for bait?

What's something in your current boat that's a pain to fish around? Try not to replicate. Alternatively, try your best to replicate the things you do like about fishing out of your current rig. Maybe that means you leave a tiller handle on your kicker and pre-rig for a locator/GPS to be in a spot that's handy for you to use from that position.

Pedro

Established Member
That skeeter WX2060 with the 250 SHO yammi they had there was the perfect rig there imo. Really looked like skeeter stepped up the fit n finish on that model.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll echo SDMF. Some great stuff there that comes from experiences both good and not so good. Also, it may sound corny, but make cut outs of your coolers, tackle boxes, and anything else you plan on putting into the boat that doesn't have a storage spot. Then take those cut outs to the boat and arrange them how you think they will fit into your boat. You will soon see how LITTLE room you have in certain boat layout configurations. Good Luck!!

Jignjerk

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not rocket hijack your thread but the Old man pulled the trigger on that red 50th anniversary Ranger Reata 1850 yesterday. Hasn’t owned a boat or fished for almost 15 years, but decided this was the year that would change. Pretty excited to get him out and show him what he has been missing out on.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not rocket hijack your thread but the Old man pulled the trigger on that red 50th anniversary Ranger Reata 1850 yesterday. Hasn’t owned a boat or fished for almost 15 years, but decided this was the year that would change. Pretty excited to get him out and show him what he has been missing out on.

This post made me smile!! Hope to see lots of pics of the two of you in the new rig holding fish!!

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ll be honest from a dealership standpoint I am a bit leery of Vallely. I’ve not had the best experiences with them.

Huskerdu

Established Member
I have been in Rangers for 20 years , best resale of any glass boat. Skeeter and Warrior are nice also ! I have never been a fan of YarCraft windshield boats , due to the design of the counsels.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
since you said you fish sak exclusively call jake at mild 2 wild (701) 202-6304 in mandan and talk to him about test driving a warrior. you can get any boat you want from anyone with the motor you want on it, sales people will try to steer you to something because either they think it is best or they get a better commision on it, imo do your own research and go with what fits you best, that being said jake will try to talk you into a suzuki and he has some valid points, evinrude has a 10 year warranty now... he will take you for a test drive on sak on a windy day, i went out in 35mph winds and my next boat will be the warrior 21-21

- - - Updated - - -

I will challenge you to ask a sales person at valley to take a lund for a test drive on sak on a windy day (they won't I asked) also if you prefer carpeted look into the nitro, I really like the nitro's and the price is right on them, I just cant get past the carpet. swensens in minot has nitro's

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want a ride or crawl around in a 203 or 208 Warrior let me know. They are a stand up company and the factory is only 6 hrs from Bismarck. I'm headed down there next week if you want to see how a Warrior is made. Local support for them is also very good and everyone works together for the most part.

That 208 at the boat show is my new one.

nybs

Honored Member
My uncle had a yarcraft tiller forever - he went to a new tracker w/ windshield and really likes it. Don’t know which model but nice finishes, good warranty and caught fish just the same. Was different not backtrolling and pulling a chute though;)

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have fished out of comparable glass Lund’s and rangers. IMO the Ranger is still a step ahead the glass Lunds. Never fished out of a Warrior or Yar-craft. And as far as dealerships go I have heard bad about both Morritz and Vallely. And haven’t heard bad about River City. Skeeter boats are nice. Make sure it has lots of sparkles. That pisses of the aluminum boat guys for some reason. ��

nybs

Honored Member
I have fished out of comparable glass Lund’s and rangers. IMO the Ranger is still a step ahead the glass Lunds. Never fished out of a Warrior or Yar-craft. And as far as dealerships go I have heard bad about both Morritz and Vallely. And haven’t heard bad about River City. Skeeter boats are nice. Make sure it has lots of sparkles. That pisses of the aluminum boat guys for some reason. ��
I’ve had both Fiberglas and aluminum boats...just don’t like sparkles/glitter. I’ve never thought to myself “ that sure is a nice boat...what could make it better - ah - glitter”.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
I ordered a Lund 2075 pro guide a couple weeks ago from Vallely in Minot, I shopped around and got some bids from Minnesota. Vallely did have a higher bid but did a price match on one of my bids from Minnesota. I also heard some bad reviews from Vallely but wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and keep my business local and give them a chance. Only time will tell!

nybs

Honored Member
Nebraska:

sparkly/glitter boats= not interesting

corn= always interesting

https://youtu.be/7FWBxVis49M
that was funny;). Also - hoping to be back in ND soon����

im not knocking them, beautiful boats, just personal preference of non sparkles for the finish of stuff I own. I don’t think my next king ranch, rifle, bow or boat will be sparkly.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
that was funny;). Also - hoping to be back in ND soon����

im not knocking them, beautiful boats, just personal preference of non sparkles for the finish of stuff I own. I don’t think my next king ranch, rifle, bow or boat will be sparkly.

No sparkly boat for this guy either!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88