New FBO in "a few days"

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know those playing cards that have HUGE numbers on them so the old folks can see them better? Well with the exception of the ad in the middle the new site is the opposite of those cards. Some of the elder, wiser, and more distinguished outdoorsmen, not to mention any names guywhohasafewmorewintersunderhisbelt stuff 009.jpgmight need one of these.

⤴⤴⤴⤴⤴⤴⤴THIS⤴⤴⤴⤴⤴

I can't see the text, except for the big ads. FBO = DEAD

It won't be long now, but I hope it survives and keeps all the 20 pg nothing but bashing guys.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sucka, sucka! Wow does it suck now. How do you drop membership over there? Do you have to get ahold of a mod? I don't and won't post, take a peek once in a while (kinda like watching a car wreck, and because I can't open this at work, so I get bored and open the site) but don't know how to drop the membership.

I messaged Joan to delete me back when the major uproar started. She never replied or deleted me.

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks V this is the site. Not impressed at all with the other one.
i agree Joan does try but u can't fix that site.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just popped back over to check it out. I know little to nothing about creating a website an apparently they don't either. It looks terrible and from reading some of the comments it isn't working worth a crap either.

I think it just shows how well V has put this site together. I have yet to have any issues and after the first day or so of finding where things were located it seems to be extremely user friendly. Again, Props to V Thumbs Up

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have posted my first impressions of the site over there. I don't have any beef one way or the other, but I think they completely missed the mark.

It almost seems like they thought the best approach was to roll out some draft version and then take comments and requests to change it.

I just can't wrap my head around how they could have seen and reviewed the new format/layout and say "yep, that looks great! people are going to love it." 60% of the screen on the home page is advertising, how could someone think that would be a smart thing to do???

I'm sure Tires Plus is happy with it.....

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
They will inevitably copy nodak angler like a sconi coming 5 miles across the lake and drilling smack dab right next to your truck haha.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Much like when Cabelas moved into East Grand Forks and made Scheels and Home of Economy much more responsive to their customers, I suspect NDA here will push FBO into being better about serving their customers than they are at serving "Google". Sooner or later, a person comes to the conclusion that it really is about serving your clientele as opposed to being the whipping boy for your advertisers. I think that's where my biggest beef with FBO has been over the past several years. Especially with the prevalence of "roll over and open a new ad window advertisements". Those suck extraordinaire.

Only time will tell if there's enough room on the internet for both sites. I have so far enjoyed NDA and hope it lasts the test of time.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel the demise of fishingbuddy started long before Tim left and before Joan, Toby, and any other mods got involved with the website. I actually think Joan is a good person, but just got involved with the site too late. It was already on the downfall bigtime. Fishingbuddy was a great site for many years. Many informative posts, many good discussions, a lot of good humor, a lot of good people on there, etc. The website began to get ruined by the types of people who criticize everything. Size of fish (too big/too small), too many fish, too small of deer, the photo police, etc. Several times pictures were posted of folks (including kids) with their catch/kill that got hammered by the people who have nothing better to do than criticize people on an internet forum (that is based on hunting and fishing nonetheless). Actually quite sad. As long is your catch/kill was done legally, I just did not understand some of those comments/arguments. Some of those people should really be ashamed of themselves. Amazing what people will say behind a keyboard, when you know damn well they would likely never say those things in an actual public setting. I am glad that BS has not started on NDA, yet. Hopefully it will not. No reason for it.

Also in the last few years, many people just stopped posting pictures or posting in general on FB for the reasons I listed above as well as other reasons. Several members who contributed a wealth of knowledge or posted awesome pics requested to have their account deleted.

The non stop political bantering also got old as those topics began to dominate the forum. Very little fishing and hunting talk, but if you wanted to discuss abortion, religion, Obama/Bush, gayness, etc.; that was the place to be. The constant bickering from a handful of individuals began to get old real fast. In addition, any worthwhile topic about conservation or the like got immediately derailed by a few individuals who thought their opinion was better than everyone else’s. Again that hasn’t started here yet. So far this has been a great site, I have not posted much but hope to contribute more into the future, as it seems to be a great community of like-minded folks who enjoy the great outdoors. I wish FB the best of luck, as I really did enjoy the site over the years. But here’s to NDA, great job Vollmer, keep up the good work!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ban of bikini avatars, the inability to say booger, the getting flagged by an old retired character for rubbing him the wrong way, the threats of banishment, the bullying of some members by the "authority" for doing what everyone else was doing, the list goes on and on, was the downfall.
Tim asked me once to change my avatar, and he was right, as it was showing more nipple than not.
After Tim I was having topics deleted, pictures taken down, "warning PM's", reply's edited. It had become big brother, lost its edge, lost a ton of quality guys, and is now lying in its bed with a pacifier in its rear.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
We need sportsman back on here though to spice things up. He was here and gone like a fart in the wind.

- - - Updated - - -

Now the forums are front and center on the new fbo. Things are looking mighty bleak. Been following fbo since back in highschool in the late 90's and it has really tanked.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Checked out FBO last night, what a joke. The same discussion in two threads between gst n Quincy. Plainsmen n few others chime in, didn't read the content, just the headlines. How would you like to moderate that site, and have to read through all that crap. Its truly amazing to me just how fast that site fell. V's timing for this site couldn't have been more perfect.

Hats off to him for this site, and to all the different people contributing to the discussions.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
It is funny how people complain about a spirited discussion about our Constitution, but if one looks at the "viewed" numbers that's what seems to get the most hits by quite a bit.

I'm guessing a good moderator that has established a reputation of fairness and common sense does not have to read thru all that crap.

Somebody will flag what is over the line, The mod knows if it is legit or some whiner and deals with it fairly.

Actually the moderating on FBO seems to be kinda like back when Tim ran it.

LukeLuke

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is funny how people complain about a spirited discussion about our Constitution, but if one looks at the "viewed" numbers that's what seems to get the most hits by quite a bit.

I'm guessing a good moderator that has established a reputation of fairness and common sense does not have to read thru all that crap.

Somebody will flag what is over the line, The mod knows if it is legit or some whiner and deals with it fairly.

Actually the moderating on FBO seems to be kinda like back when Tim ran it.

Easy to moderate when there is nothing to moderate. idk, just my 2 cents.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 67