new tires

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much did the BFG's affect your mileage? They are a heavy ass tire, The standard Goodear SRA (Shitty!) on my Sierra are 40 lbs, i believe the BFG in same size are 57. Ive been looking at some Coopers (ATP, AT3) because i can get them in P-rated version and they are only about 43 lbs.

Maybe a 1 MPG. Haven't really been on any long trips with it where I wasn't eating wind or pulling, so I haven't really gotten to test it out.

Didnt buy the truck for gas mileage though, so I dont really care. What I do care about, is not fishtailing every intersection in Bismarck Mandan in the winter time like I did with the Goodyear Wrangler HPs. Trump should outlaw those tires.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn kids and their big wheels now days! 20" rims are about the dumbest idea ever. I'd get rid of them and get something smaller. As for tires I liked my Goodyear ATS, just went to Duratracs and they are a little more noisy and like to throw rocks.

Personally, I think 20" rims are the perfect size for pickups.

Coldfront

Established Member
I have done a lot of research on winter tires for our front wheel drive car. The more sipes in the tire the better the traction is going to be gripping the highway and ice, that is why truckers have their tires siped. By cutting slits in the tires it improves tracking in wet, snowy and icy conditions. One more thing is look for a tire that that has a lower mileage rating, that tire has softer rubber which is also better on ice and in the snow. I put on Michelin X-ice3 on the car and wow what a difference it felt like all wheel drive and going up 16th street last winter the wife was weaving in and out of cars, vans and some pickups spinning out trying to make it to the top. Braking is also greatly improved. Michelin does make the 275/60 20" for my pickup so in my checking around I found that the Cooper Discoverer M+S was very close to the Michelins. I put the winter tires on late in the fall and take them off in the spring. A siped tire will not last as long. Goodyear Wranglers ATS Kevlar came on the pickup and were very good when new but as they wore down the harder rubber became ice skates. Another item you may want to consider if you tow anything try and stay with the LT series in stead of the P series, they have more ply's and have a better side wall for towing.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I could have afforded to buy another set of the factory Wranglers that came on my F150. Got 75K out of them.

Replaced with Toyo. So far so good, and much more friendly on the wallety.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the one up side to 20" is they have such little wall - they feel rock solid under any load like you're driving an aggressive sports car AND they increase mileage (less wall flexing/bulging equals better mileage)

other than that they look dumb, suck in snow, etc.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
the one up side to 20" is they have such little wall - they feel rock solid under any load like you're driving an aggressive sports car AND they increase mileage (less wall flexing/bulging equals better mileage)

It is getting harder to find the tires on older vehicle, last set I had to order from Summit, but it was cheaper than buying from tire shop anyway, including shipping and mounting. I use balance beads so I got them from the tire shop... Downside was they had a list of parts I needed (ball joint, stabilizer, etc). I waited 2 months and made them show me the play in the ball joints and they could not.... crooks, crooks everywhere...

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have good look with 2 sets of bridgestone dueler revo 2

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
forgot I had a set of these HERCULES TERRA TRAC AT II in 20in on an Expedition ... didn't hate them fairly decent for the money...but i have kind of found as with many things you get what you pay for in tires and often times the good ones do cost a bit more...

TerraTracATII-cropped.jpg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Have you thought of replacing your shocks?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone try the cooper AT3. They look pretty decent.

I put them on my Silverado last year.
WP_20161202_001.jpg

Although I don't have much to compare them to (I replaced my factory Goodyear SRAs before my first winter with the truck), I like them. Snow and ice traction seemed to be good as long as I wasn't being a moron with the gas pedal, and I don't notice any noise on the interstate.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Hankook All Terrain tires on my '09 crew dually. It carries a 4000# (loaded weight) truck camper without any problems, at least to Alaska and back last year, and all the way around Lake Superior this year.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Goodyear Duratracs will not disappoint you - 44k on mine and still have 14/32 remaining on them and I travel quite a bit of gravel. They clean out nicely in snow and gravel, don't throw a ton of rocks and low road noise..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31