Slight Tire Problem and ?

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the wife has a 2017 Toyota 4 Runner Limited. 37,000 miles 20 inch tires. Can NOT find a Snow type tread that is in that size. What major problems or adjustments need to happen if we go with new 18 inch rims and a decent tread tire???

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the wife has a 2017 Toyota 4 Runner Limited. 37,000 miles 20 inch tires. Can NOT find a Snow type tread that is in that size. What major problems or adjustments need to happen if we go with new 18 inch rims and a decent tread tire???
Not that tough. Either find something with more sidewall so your OD stays the same or get the tire shop to reprogram your vehicle for the new diameter.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't the Limited an all-wheel drive version of the 4Runner?

I have a 2015 SR5 with 4WD and have never needed a dedicated snow tire for it. All season tires have done just fine, and I live rural and have tried to get it stuck.

Then again, I am in the banana belt of ND compared to you.

ice head

Founding Member
Founding Member
We live in the country and run good all terrains on all of our vehicles, my Ram has 20" rims on it and I just put some Toyo open country AT3's on and they're very impressive.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't the Limited an all-wheel drive version of the 4Runner? Yes

I have a 2015 SR5 with 4WD and have never needed a dedicated snow tire for it. All season tires have done just fine, and I live rural and have tried to get it stuck.

Then again, I am in the banana belt of ND compared to you.
Should of left last week. Heading South thru the snow belt SD, Nebraska, Kansas towards AZ.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not that tough. Either find something with more sidewall so your OD stays the same or get the tire shop to reprogram your vehicle for the new diameter.
Look on TireRack.com. An all season tire should suffice. Snow tread, not a preferred tread come spring time.
Rims aren't cheap when you have to buy a set.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going with a smaller rim you may run into clearance issues with brake calipers.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What size tire is on that 4-Runner? I know 20” wheels but what about the actual tire size?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes you can get 18 inch rims, on my 20 tundra my snow tires were on 20 inch rims and my summer tires on 18 inch. this happened as i had a set of 20 inch studded tires off a gmc i bought 20 inch toyota rims for.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont go smaller these newer vehicles will have issues, just find something close and run with it. Has to be some good options alot of newer vehicles run 20" rims

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put these on Daughters SUV few years ago been good, think it is your same size. Do wear fast is down fall she wanted damn good snowtire.

LIGHT TRUCK/SUV STUDLESS ICE & SNOWCategory Ratings Charts

BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK DM-V2

Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow
Wet

Dry

Winter/Snow

Comfort

Treadwear

8.9 / 10Average RatingReviews >
Category Ratings Charts >
" style="box-sizing: border-box; outline: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(--font-color-link); text-decoration: none; display: flex; align-items: center; padding-bottom: 20px;">
starRating_9.svg
(1,293)
Reviews (981)Consumer Recommended
Best Seller
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2
Compare
Tire Rack Tested
$243.99Per Tire

In StockHow soon can I get this?
Qty12345678

" style="box-sizing: border-box; outline: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(--font-color-link); text-decoration: none; cursor: pointer;">More information on Service Description
" style="box-sizing: border-box; outline: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(--font-color-link); text-decoration: none; cursor: pointer;">More information on UTQG
  • ssr.svg
    Severe Snow Service Rated
Free Road Hazard Protection$94.52 value. Two-year coverage.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a couple people that run Blizzak tires for winter driving. They really like them on their front wheel drive cars.

Zogman said he was running to Arizona though, good tire to get there, but if a person is going to spend any time in Arizona as it starts to warm up here going forward, I would NOT run Blizzaks. Their rubber compound is pretty soft as far as tires go and they wear very quickly in summer driving.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88