New to Sakakawea

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've never "boat" fished on the big lake. I owned a smaller bass boat...stuck to Lake Darling and Audubon. Recently I bought a deep V, will be heading out on Sakakawea this season. Just looking for any advice regarding easiest access ramps/boat traffic/bays to get familiar with Sakakawea. I ice fished Douglas Bay in January...had some success. Thanks for the inputs!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up on the south side of sakakawea so I still put in at the state park, beulah bay, hazen bay most of the time. Douglas is a good option for open water fishing. In fact, I typically always run across to the north shore and probably past many, many fish. Sakakawea is a fickle beast. It'll let you think you know what you're doing one day, then kick you right in the coin purse the next.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gotcha...thanks for the response DM. Looking forward to exploring once she opens up. Bought a season vehicle pass for State Parks so kinda thought Stevenson ramps might be handy, but guessing they get crazy busy on the weekends?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Gotcha...thanks for the response DM. Looking forward to exploring once she opens up. Bought a season vehicle pass for State Parks so kinda thought Stevenson ramps might be handy, but guessing they get crazy busy on the weekends?

Ft Stevenson ramps are great. I wouldn't shy away from them.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
V...have you found it easier to get out early mornings or late afternoons at Stevenson as far as the boat traffic?

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any time of day is ok. most boaters are fairly considerate. i rarely have an issue even with heavy traffic.

But dont get me started on jet skis

89bluefin

Founding Member
Founding Member
the only time to avoid fort Stevenson boat ramp is during the governors cup.. but other then that both ramps there have always been pretty good to use anytime of day

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Will keep that in mind...thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Also looking forward to not having so many sunken islands to worry about. I learned real fast on Audubon to watch your graph and learn where those islands are located. Can go from 18 FOW to 18 inches pretty quick!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will keep that in mind...thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Also looking forward to not having so many sunken islands to worry about. I learned real fast on Audubon to watch your graph and learn where those islands are located. Can go from 18 FOW to 18 inches pretty quick!

Ha Ha, I was on that lake one time and was not impressed but I had Green tinted Costa sun glasses an several people who boat there regularly were riding with me and thought I was going looney with all the zig zagging I was doing, and finally asked what the heck I was doing. I told them I was avoiding all the shallow gravel beds and rocks ect, they thought I had really gone mad until I told them to try on my sun glasses. I should have bought stock in Costa I think they bought about 4 pairs amongst them the next week being able to see the lake bottom clear as a bell and knowing where all the shallow spots were. One guy with me had wiped out a lower unit and a couple props in a single season there and said if he knew how good the glasses were they could have saved him a lot of money.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha Ha, I was on that lake one time and was not impressed but I had Green tinted Costa sun glasses an several people who boat there regularly were riding with me and thought I was going looney with all the zig zagging I was doing, and finally asked what the heck I was doing. I told them I was avoiding all the shallow gravel beds and rocks ect, they thought I had really gone mad until I told them to try on my sun glasses. I should have bought stock in Costa I think they bought about 4 pairs amongst them the next week being able to see the lake bottom clear as a bell and knowing where all the shallow spots were. One guy with me had wiped out a lower unit and a couple props in a single season there and said if he knew how good the glasses were they could have saved him a lot of money.

good to know. I picked up a pair this winter and have enjoyed them so far. even nice for driving.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member

Not to derail this thread, but i purchased a pair of Smith sunglasses with techlite polarchromic copper glass lenses. Holy shit did they make a difference in being able to pick out sandbars on the river this spring. Also the glass lenses don't distort the screens on electronics near as much as any plastic lenses I've ever had on. Green glass Costa's would have been my next choice. I never did get to compare them on the water though. Either way i don't think id ever buy a plastic lens again.

As far as Sak. If your living in Minot i think i would focus more on the Indian Hills, Deep water, Van hook areas rather than the east end.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glass or plastic lenses?

580G

- - - Updated - - -

As far as Sak. If your living in Minot i think i would focus more on the Indian Hills, Deep water, Van hook areas rather than the east end.

Nail on the head. Those areas hold fish all year. You tend to have to wait for that east end to heat up.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
+1 on the hook area..... been fishing it for the last few years, waaaay better than the east end, and if you get out real early in the morning the traffic is fine. Ramps are nice to use also.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glass or plastic lenses?

I have 2 pair of the glass Costa 580G glasses, one green for water one blue for every day and driving. Wife has 580P plastic and they are surprisingly durable too, she can destroy and scratch anything including her regular glass lens glasses pronto and the Costas have held up excellent for about 2 years now.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you get Costas in a "sun reader" format for those of us with a need for bifocals so we can tie a fishing line?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, as others have suggested. Early spring through June, head west from Minot. By late June through mid-July, you should be expanding to the Indian Hills part of the lake, then go farther east during July through August.

Seems to be the trend for consistent catching. The locals will catch pretty much all year in their area, but those willing to travel will do best by following the pattern I've put forward.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 114
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41