night crawlers

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering if anybody knows how to get those darn crawler mounds out of your lawn so when mowing it doesn't feel like your riding in an old wagon with wooden wheels?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I dont have crawler mounds but I do have mole hills ... I just mop right on thru em :;:smokin

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
11201534_1141632305852315_168953464_n.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have yet to see them sitting in the street gutters or on my driveway this year. My dad may be right, that hard freeze two winters ago may have froze a bunch out.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, anyone know where to order a flat of night crawlers from?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
When it pours like it did last weekend, does anyone know of good areas to go picking?

I go places by main roads, where there are street lights and traffic. Crawlers get used to the lights and vibration from cars going by and arent nearly as spooky. Try down south by Wachter, along that drainage canal.... Ive had good luck in that trailer court also, by the holiday store, find trailers that are for sale and unoccupied, else you might get yelled at by whoever is living there! Big thing with catching crawlers is you need to go through them every couple days for a week or so after you get them and check for any dead or injured ones, if there are ones that appear stretched out and not active, they will die and ruin the whole batch!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I go places by main roads, where there are street lights and traffic. Crawlers get used to the lights and vibration from cars going by and arent nearly as spooky. Try down south by Wachter, along that drainage canal.... Ive had good luck in that trailer court also, by the holiday store, find trailers that are for sale and unoccupied, else you might get yelled at by whoever is living there! Big thing with catching crawlers is you need to go through them every couple days for a week or so after you get them and check for any dead or injured ones, if there are ones that appear stretched out and not active, they will die and ruin the whole batch!

Now you're in my neighborhood. Let me know when you go searching for worms and I'll tag along.

duckduckgoose

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have yet to see them sitting in the street gutters or on my driveway this year. My dad may be right, that hard freeze two winters ago may have froze a bunch out.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, anyone know where to order a flat of night crawlers from?

My 8 year old and I have plucked good numbers from yards, and Sunday morning we finally had the streets full of crawlers. As many as I've ever seen.

headhanger

Founding Member
Founding Member
back to your question gr8 you have to kill off the crawlers they make a chemical that does that but dont know what its called or how well it works. until you get rid of them you will always have the bumps

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 8 year old and I have plucked good numbers from yards, and Sunday morning we finally had the streets full of crawlers. As many as I've ever seen.

When the faculty party bus finally rolled back into town, my wife and I walked home from the parking lot they picked us up at. I had my head on a swivel looking for crawlers and didn't see a one. I'll have to expand my search area.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
back to your question gr8 you have to kill off the crawlers they make a chemical that does that but dont know what its called or how well it works. until you get rid of them you will always have the bumps

Even if you kill them in your yard, they will come back from your neighbors. I good power raking will knock those mounds down pretty good, but youll need to do it yearly.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if youve got a good spot for crawlers on public land, or along a road, you can feed them and they will reproduce faster and get larger. I used to use chicken scratch in a hand held fertilizer spreader, the kind with a crank you turn to spray it around. I would feed my crawlers 2-3 times a year, best to do it right before or after a rain.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tempo, it kills everything, however you don't want to necessarily kill all soil creatures as some of them are needed for soil health.

I had slugs big time in our garden, a quick treatment with a light spraying of tempo took care of the slugs.

I actually have put the left over crawlers in my garden to increase soil health, however my old man tells me I am making a huge mistake, and will be in your shoes with the crawler madness and hills everywhere.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tempo, it kills everything, however you don't want to necessarily kill all soil creatures as some of them are needed for soil health.

I had slugs big time in our garden, a quick treatment with a light spraying of tempo took care of the slugs.

I actually have put the left over crawlers in my garden to increase soil health, however my old man tells me I am making a huge mistake, and will be in your shoes with the crawler madness and hills everywhere.

If you wanna kill instects, including grubs, ants, etc. This is your Huckleberry.
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/talstar-pl-granules-p-47.html

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
Out of curiosity, with all of the focus on half worms, slow death and single hook presentations, has anyone ever tried european nightcrawlers? 3" or so in length and don't need refrigeration. Kind of curious if they are too small in diameter or if they may be the real ticket.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76