Nightcrawlers

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys that have good soil are fortunate to have nightcrawlers like you do after it rains. I don't have squat in my yard for crawlers..angle worms, yes but they are very small. I have an acre and its pretty shitty to find worms. I have too much sand for soil in my yard. I tried the electric worm shocker to night, only to find out I could dig them up faster than the electricity could get them out of the ground, cannot believe how small the worms are...think all the damn birds took all the good ones....lol

If you want worms, you should try feeding them, it can make a big difference if you do it consistently.

- - - Updated - - -

Also lay off chemicals, seems they prefer low chemical use and also a lot of trees, especially if the lawns arent well cared for, the more organic decomposing material available, the better. If you want to feed them, ive had good luck using chicken scratch (without meds) in a hand held fertilizer spreader works well. Feed them once every 2 weeks right at dusk, preferable after watering or when the ground is somewhat moist.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Green ones were the hot talk last summer up by Beulah Bay. I just wasn't going to spend the extra money on them when I know regular worms work just as well. I have purple/orange plastic worms.... If I add a black light to the hull of my boat would that be the story to tell the bait shop owner, huh!!

"Yeah, I added a 12V black light and now my worms light up in the water and I get nothing but #8-#10 fish all day long."

:;:thumbsup ;:;funnypost :;:stirthepot :;:exactly

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member

Anytime anyone talks about nightcrawlers I think of Charlie and Frank from Always Sunny

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought my first 'flat' of crawlers. Always harvested them in smaller quantities after rainfall in the past. I've always fed them used coffee grounds. What other items do you guys use for food/forage for your flats of crawlers?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worm magic seems to work good, Its a seasonal item in local stores so sometimes hard to come by. Corn meal works too but it's not as fine. Don't overfeed, Sprinkle just a little bit on top, If they don't eat it within a couple of days it will start growing mold.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Davey is right on with the worm magic. If the soil gets too compacted I loosen it up every couple weeks and don't over water, moist bedding is good enough. If I take out a doz or two they never go back in same container if there is any left. I have a separate Cooler for survivers so not to bring any sick or week back to the main herd. Works for me.#$%^&>

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
For a hobby I've been raising Euros for a couple years on corn meal and magic worm food and a few Corn cobs. After you've eaten the corn off a cob you can mound dirt on the cob and they go crazy over it, It's an easy way to pick/sort worms and the cob doesn't seem to spoil. They have gizzards so they like a little bit of fine sand in their diet .

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For a hobby I've been raising Euros for a couple years on corn meal and magic worm food and a few Corn cobs. After you've eaten the corn off a cob you can mound dirt on the cob and they go crazy over it, It's an easy way to pick/sort worms and the cob doesn't seem to spoil. They have gizzards so they like a little bit of fine sand in their diet .

you raise maggots as a hobby?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
European Night crawlers, I tried wax worms for a while but they stunk to high heaven and I didn't want them in the basement.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
European Night crawlers, I tried wax worms for a while but they stunk to high heaven and I didn't want them in the basement.

id imagine them turning into flies eventually would've been an inconvenience as well. been there done that with a bait puck

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought my first 'flat' of crawlers. Always harvested them in smaller quantities after rainfall in the past. I've always fed them used coffee grounds. What other items do you guys use for food/forage for your flats of crawlers?

How much does a flat cost? I'm getting to old (and fat) to go out all night and pick them. I usually have to crawl around and catch them. Its getting harder and harder every year. One or two good nights will usually get me through a summer though. And at $4 a dozen thats a lot of savings. Plus its 12 miles to the closest place that sells em.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
DM, half flat of nightcrawlers with adjustment hmmmmmm pm me on your location mite hold you to that.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leeches used to be used in medicinal healing. One would think that some industrious soul could figure out how to get Crawlers covered by ins. as some sort of relaxation agent scheme.

"With proper care, the 500 unit relaxation pack should last 2-3Mo." "If you need usage instructions, put this box down and go back to Yoga class. Best if used at sunrise and replaced as necessary until you're accused by more than 3 people of having a shit-eating grin, that's when you know they're working properly."

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 182
  • This month: 131
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 71