No trespass

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
A no trespass law is an anti-hunting initiative to make it more difficult for folks to enjoy hunting, period, end of story. I, as a landowner, will actively campaign AGAINST a no trespass law in ND. There is NO upside to a no trespass law that I can see. It forces hunters to work harder to enjoy hunting and it forces landowners to deal with hunters when they don't want to as now they just leave their land unposted and everyone is happy. IMO, if you are a hunter, you would make an effort to ensure ND doesn't get a no trespass law as migrator man is correct. It will totally change the state of hunting in ND as we know it and provide a HUGE push toward the pay to play hunting scenario and that's a scary thought.
There you go. Nail/head etc. This is the outfitters dream, and the stockman's association. Just another cut to bleed the hunter a little more.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
are they talking about doing this again? I can't see it happening because the G&F would fold up like a cheap tent. Or they would have to be funded by the general fund after that.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just following along here. Can someone please explain to a NE guy what's going on? Am I correct in that currently, if land is not posted it is open to hunting and the no trespass law would mean that private land would be unavailable regardless of whether or not it was posted?

In NE we have to get landowner permission before hunting even if it isn't posted. I use the GIS online to find out who owns the land. If I don't already know the landowner, I never call to gain permission, I always go to their house and talk in person. Plat maps are an option also, but as stated you need to get new ones almost every year because of lands changing hands.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just following along here. Can someone please explain to a NE guy what's going on? Am I correct in that currently, if land is not posted it is open to hunting and the no trespass law would mean that private land would be unavailable regardless of whether or not it was posted?

In NE we have to get landowner permission before hunting even if it isn't posted. I use the GIS online to find out who owns the land. If I don't already know the landowner, I never call to gain permission, I always go to their house and talk in person. Plat maps are an option also, but as stated you need to get new ones almost every year because of lands changing hands.

yep that is how it works in ND

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A no trespass law in ND would be the end of hunting as we know it now. ND doesn’t have the same amount of public land as many other states such as Montana and Wyoming. I would hate to see ND turn into a Texas where most private land is pay to play. The wildlife belongs to all of us and sportsmen will not forget at the ballot box if they are denied access to hunting. The less hunters participating in the sport will lead to less people advocating for the issues that are important to hunting and 2nd amendment rights.

I do not think landowner numbers should be required for public view. I don’t think landowners should be bombarded with calls if they don’t want to.

Sadly, thinking that is the path we are spiraling downward on. Less and less land available for hunting. Less and less new hunters taking up the sport.

Remembering back in the mid 90's hunting the Clark Sayler refuge area, you were hard pressed to find a "No Trespassing" sign except right by Upham. To exaggerate, 2 years ago driving through the same area you would be hard pressed to find a piece of land that didn't have a "No Trespassing" sign on it.

Yes it takes a little more effort to get permission and so be it. But if the goal is to promote hunting, making it harder to find places to hunt turns prospective hunters off. Less voices probably isn't going to help the cause.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
did SD pass a no trespass law? SD has much more public land than ND.
I guess I didn't realize SD had way more public land than ND. Figured it was pretty close to the same. Although the National Park really doesn't count because it's useless for hunting. So I'm figuring you mean public land for hunting.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ya in the 80's i think will have to ask my dad. Really how many more acres?
A guy can also hunt the ditches for pheasants in SD so that opens up a lot of opportunity for hunters. Let’s be honest a big number of pheasant hunters are road hunters. SD is also a big pheasant pay to play operation where finding land to hunt for free is nearly nonexistent.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy can also hunt the ditches for pheasants in SD so that opens up a lot of opportunity for hunters. Let’s be honest a big number of pheasant hunters are road hunters. SD is also a big pheasant pay to play operation where finding land to hunt for free is nearly nonexistent.

the ditch part is true the finding places to hunt not really just dont come the first weekend and you will be fine finding places to hunt. Little known fact there are places with pheasants other than aberdeen and mitchell

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
the ditch part is true the finding places to hunt not really just dont come the first weekend and you will be fine finding places to hunt. Little known fact there are places with pheasants other than aberdeen and mitchell

Why do you think ND should implement this law? Just because S.D. has it is not a valid reason. You also have a no baiting law and a one over for walleyes and I don’t want either of those things either

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do you think ND should implement this law? Just because S.D. has it is not a valid reason. You also have a no baiting law and a one over for walleyes and I don’t want either of those things either

where did i ever say you should have this law? I was just giving perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

It does. Or you can use earth mate. Or base map. Or Gaia map. There are a bunch of apps that do this

it didn’t do that in Sodak

yep that is how it works in ND

ya in the 80's i think will have to ask my dad. Really how many more acres?

Here i went and put all my posts in one spot.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
so are we just arguing about this or is it up to be voted on?

itll come up in this next legislative session in January again. recent ND outdoors had an Q/A in regards to it.

- - - Updated - - -

I would suspect of this bill passes which it will at some point would also suspect ND will open road ditches to hunting as there are a public right of way.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55