No trespass

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Davey- I actually thought of that when I was typing up my post. It would be nice if landowners had a "Unposted" sign, be respectful and hunt all you want. However, we do not have anything like that. I think most of the landowners that would be "that" willing, enroll their land in what we call OFW (Open Fields and Waters). They get reimbursement from the NE G&P for opening up their land or lake for public access.
I wouldn't want snowmobiles or 4 wheelers driving across my property. I live on a dead end road and get pissed when people don't see the "NO OUTLET" sign a mile from my house and come pulling into my driveway, then pull up or back up on my lawn yelling out the window, "oh we thought this road went on through..."

Sweeny- sorry that you don't like NE and I don't think Posted or Unposted land has much to do with the success of our football team...

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya we have walk in so I would guess they might as well get paid if they are letting everyone on. I for one think that is one of the best things our licenses dollars goes to

Redneck1

I would be most concerned with just the affect the No Trespass law would have on a 16 day deer gun season. Not any other seasons. I know it would take some adjusting for me since I hunt unposted land almost exclusively and have never had much of a problem walking a random unposted field and shooting a deer, although I was unsuccessful with my buck tag last year.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
You suck at being a spokesman for hunters. Try to show a little sportsmanship and discuss issues on a civil manner instead of sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming. I'll show a mean streak if someone stabs me in the back but go back and read the first post and point out the ass chewing material.

Mr. Webster hasn't come up with a word to describe how little I care about your politically correct sensitivities. I figure you'll get over it, or you won't.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Juat giving you shit but it just seems like you keep pushing your Nebraskan on North Dakota issues quite a bit lately.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question for Kurt and Short, how widespread is absentee landownership in SD and NE?

ND has a tremendous amount of absentee land owners. People who own land but live in FL, AZ, etc. A lot of that land is unposted and those landowners don't care and don't want to be bothered or are almost impossible to contact for permission.

I don't think ditches would be open in ND if a no trespass bill is passed since they are controlled by the current landowners. Besides that there isn't much habitat in most of our ditches much less game so I don't see the trade off there.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question for Kurt and Short, how widespread is absentee landownership in SD and NE?

ND has a tremendous amount of absentee land owners. People who own land but live in FL, AZ, etc. A lot of that land is unposted and those landowners don't care and don't want to be bothered or are almost impossible to contact for permission.

I don't think ditches would be open in ND if a no trespass bill is passed since they are controlled by the current landowners. Besides that there isn't much habitat in most of our ditches much less game so I don't see the trade off there.

alot but the the guys who rent it generally have the hunting rights so they can give you permission

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sweeney (and all the other ND guys for that matter)- I figured as much about just flipping me crap, however, I am not trying to push anything. I am sorry if I come across that way. My ONLY objective is stating how it is here to give you ND guys a perspective of how it is in another state.
For the most part I envy all of you ND and SD guys for the outdoor activities you enjoy. NE has a "focus on pheasants" initiative going on right now and it is working, but they are only doing it in like 6 counties in the far southwest corner of the state. Hell the Colorado guys get more out of that than most of the NE guys like me that live 5 hours away. Our walleye fishing sucks, the waterfowl season in my area is terrible as by the time it opens in my area most of the ponds I could hunt are froze over and the ducks/geese just fly on by..., a lot of the NE G&P public seminars and outdoor archery and shooting ranges are in Lincoln or Omaha area (4+ hours away), plus they spend a ton of money enhancing other outdoor opportunities in that area (which is fine, but doesn't help out the rest of the state). I do however have access to some pretty good prairie chicken hunting (not close to a pheasant though), and we have a lot of deer, but buck age structure is poor in my area (too many guys shooting small bucks).
I am an outsider and just enjoy talking, reading, and seeing your guys outdoor adventures along with things like when I build my garage what to do or not to do. I think this site is great and I appreciate the help and advice that some of the members have given, so again, I apologize to any of you guys that thought I was pushing anything NE.

- - - Updated - - -

Davey- The areas of the state that I know a fair amount about, there is some, but I do not see a lot of absentee ownership, and the ground I do know of is like Kurtr said, the renters usually control the hunting rights.

Also, I may be wrong on this (since we cannot hunt road ditches I don't pay much attention) our landowners are not supposed to entirely mow or hay the road ditches. On county roads landowner are supposed to mow a "swath" next to the road for snow and probably visibility (easier to see a deer next to the road if it is mowed). In drought years they can get permission to hay the entire road ditch. We can trap road ditches though with adjoining landowner permission.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could buy some Berkshire Hathaway and zip over to the shareholders meeting easier than us. #neperks

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
LOL...I could do that ^^^...not buying many shares on teachers salary, two kids (paying for one in college sucks BTW), and an addiction to hunting and fishing though!:)

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya in the 80's i think will have to ask my dad. Really how many more acres?

It was long before that. I grew up in the 70's and even when I was little you HAD to ask permission. I can remember my dad talking about when it was no trespass though.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont all the other states handle it like plots ??? Doesnt SD have its hunting atlas, MT dont they have the same thing. When i hunt in WA they had a reservation system - but they also had guys post hunt here (they wanted deer removed) -- they even made a parking space along the road for a guy. Its getting to the point in ND that most stuff is posted -- basically the same program without the law.

NE: fishing - isnt McConaughy any good???? they stock that thing well. How about in the east -- mo any good --- when i travel through your state and kansas for that matter -- the habitat looks good ---what is missing?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i agree with short on the habitat thing in those states. i drive through and think "nice". seems like a great mixture of crop land and habitat as opposed to most of ND that feels like a big old field. am i only seeing the wrong parts of those states? eastern half i guess.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will add to my comment --- so i was hunting my brother-in-laws land in sheridan county. He pointed to me out on the gps map -- i start in the am. I get going and sure as sht here comes a vehicle -- some gal saying you cant hunt here. I immediately put on the cap of maybe i am looking at my map wrong. I tell her the landowners name (granted the renter has rights etc.) She says nope this is our property and your at the wrong place and no other words. Bitchy ----- so i said fk it and me and my kid move on to unposted/public land. I get back to blaws -- he was like what -- he confirms where i was - he calls the renter nope not them. Turns out its some local that just wanted to give me a hard time that didnt know the owners name and only new the renter but had no control or mgmt over the land.

It takes out all the fun of hunting what is going on now days.

Same with we had permission in grant county and the neighbor of the property walks in before us - neighbor bitches us out no less that he is going to call the law -- that time the landowner called and bitched at his neighbor after the fact. But it ruined our hunt that morning and left a bad taste.

add to that when my first shorthair did tresspass a little when i lost track of her and the landowner shot 10 times at her (walking land that right next to public)(he drove along with a 4 wheeler making sure we didnt tresspass)--- bbs in the a$$ my shorthair - she was smart though she ran her ass off to get out of that situation. Again another buzzkill specially (worse if he would of hit her head).

My best memories were when we were either hunting with landowners or public/plots land (or for that matter trespassing w/o permission). Getting yelled at when you have all the correct credentials is a buzzkill.

I am caring less and less if they pass this law or not.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

While I think there is quite a bit, a person leasing the land can give permission too, just like the landowner. I know I've had permission and got my ass chewed by the guy leasing it. I had to set him straight. So all your fancy GPS, and plat maps doesn't show who is working the land, and in SD that's who you really need to talk too! Plus in SD, you never know who is leasing the hunting rights from the land owner. There are a lot of acres leased to outfitters, that will not show up on plat maps or gps either.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya we have walk in so I would guess they might as well get paid if they are letting everyone on. I for one think that is one of the best things our licenses dollars goes to

Walk in must be something like the plots that we have here in ND . I didn't take the time to look very deep into walk in but is it gaining momentum down there ?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
what was fun was when a guy kick me off my own land. db

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Polititian #1. Boy we sure have a unique situaition in nd. One of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation and still thousands of jobs to Fill. Employers- we cant find enough decent hardworking skilled people to fill our posistions..... polititian #2. If only there were a way we could entice Good quality decent people/ families with midwestern values to move to nd for all these jobs..... polititian #3. Wait! I have it! I will draft an unneeded no trespass law that will take potential opportunity away from the hard-working people of nd. Especially those who may have just moved and started working in nd and have no connections and rely on plots-unposted ground to enjoy the nd outdoors. That will definately not help attract the types of people we want moving here to fill jobs/boost ecomomy/ increase taxable wages..... polititian #4. Excellent idea polititian #3 now that we cant find enough people to fill these job we better bring in a bunch more refugees to help the job situation........ the near-sightedness on alot of our current issues is appauling. Why cant people look down the road a little? Please dont respond to this message. These are just my thoughts on this issue. If you have something negative to say about this or me please go fuck yourself. Have a good day

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Polititian #1. Boy we sure have a unique situaition in nd. One of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation and still thousands of jobs to Fill. Employers- we cant find enough decent hardworking skilled people to fill our posistions..... polititian #2. If only there were a way we could entice Good quality decent people/ families with midwestern values to move to nd for all these jobs..... polititian #3. Wait! I have it! I will draft an unneeded no trespass law that will take potential opportunity away from the hard-working people of nd. Especially those who may have just moved and started working in nd and have no connections and rely on plots-unposted ground to enjoy the nd outdoors. That will definately not help attract the types of people we want moving here to fill jobs/boost ecomomy/ increase taxable wages..... polititian #4. Excellent idea polititian #3 now that we cant find enough people to fill these job we better bring in a bunch more refugees to help the job situation........ the near-sightedness on alot of our current issues is appauling. Why cant people look down the road a little? Please dont respond to this message. These are just my thoughts on this issue. If you have something negative to say about this or me please go fuck yourself. Have a good day
This is probably a gross reality. This is why I say the game and fish will have to be funded at least partially by general fund when this happens because license sales will plummet

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55